Most expensive property for sale

i made alot of money in the old days finding a great location, drive the neighborhood find the most expensive house, then look for a similar run down property of similar space. fix it up and take the money

I am also surprised that in this age of AI and online tools, that real estate sales in Argentina seem so rustic with respect to presentation - no attempt to take decent photos that are well lit, no physical staging, not even virtual staging! Why do you all think that is?

I defer to the knowledge and experience of the professional property people on this forum but..
...why does everybody who has posted so far look at this as nothing more than a bricks-and-mortar deal?

I wouldn't expect foreigners - foreigners to Argentina, that is - to know that much about María Amalia Fortabat but she's part of the modern history of Buenos Aires and in her time was hardly ever out of the news - and not always in a good way. Think of her as an Argentine equivalent of the sister of the late Queen Elizabeth of the UK - Princess Margaret - and you are probably on the right track. I contend that whoever buys that property will be buying it for the legends and the myths and the scandals and not for number of square metres or the nature of the window frames. That's my opinion of why it's priced as it is.

Back in Dear Old Blighty there are some wonderful buildings. There are also, still, some awful slums which are rotting away on the edges of industrial towns and when they come up for sale - usually by auction - they often go for as little as £40,000/$50,000. There's a street in a rough end of Liverpool where in recent years three dilapidated houses came up for sale in quick sucession. The first one sold for about £50,000 which was probably a bit much because the one next door only fetched £35,000. But the one next door to that one sold for..

...£175,000 or about $245,000.

Why was that? It had once been lived in by a Beatle.

I defer to the knowledge and experience of the professional property people on this forum but..
...why does everybody who has posted so far look at this as nothing more than a bricks-and-mortar deal?

I wouldn't expect foreigners - foreigners to Argentina, that is - to know that much about María Amalia Fortabat but she's part of the modern history of Buenos Aires and in her time was hardly ever out of the news - and not always in a good way. Think of her as an Argentine equivalent of the sister of the late Queen Elizabeth of the UK - Princess Margaret - and you are probably on the right track. I contend that whoever buys that property will be buying it for the legends and the myths and the scandals and not for number of square metres or the nature of the window frames. That's my opinion of why it's priced as it is.

Back in Dear Old Blighty there are some wonderful buildings. There are also, still, some awful slums which are rotting away on the edges of industrial towns and when they come up for sale - usually by auction - they often go for as little as £40,000/$50,000. There's a street in a rough end of Liverpool where in recent years three dilapidated houses came up for sale in quick sucession. The first one sold for about £50,000 which was probably a bit much because the one next door only fetched £35,000. But the one next door to that one sold for..

...£175,000 or about $245,000.

Why was that? It had once been lived in by a Beatle.
Quite the contrary, it is precisely because selling real estate is much more than bricks and mortar (or selling ‘pared’ like they say in Argentina) that I m speechless as to why most local sellers don’t make any effort to market their places.

The historical prestige of a dwelling like you pointed out is an example of a selling point. Something to be promoted, with for example pictures or paintings of the historical figure in the place, playing their songs or displaying their arts during the visits if it were artists, tea/coffee and facturas so buyers can share stories or reminisce over that famous person.. any minimal and costless effort to wow the buyer basically! Pretty basic stuff and pretty sure some effort would have been made in the uk at the place for sale where the Beatle lived.

But from real estate experience in Argentina, you can sure expect most sellers to say:
‘12 mils no less, Maria Amelia Fortabat lived here, out of focus irrelevant pictures of the place on a rainy day, visits maybe this month -when seller is ready- because they think they got a thing on this long weekend in, plus real estate don’t work on long weekends so maybe next month, haven’t cleaned the place sorry not sorry for the cockroaches and unfixed leaking sewage, oh and there’s unsightly plastic office furniture in Maria Amalia’s abode that she sure would not approve of but that’s because place is empty and I can’t sell it so I have an agreement with the portero he can use it then I pay him less fees.’

Basically not doing any justice to the memory of the Maria Amalia Fortabat’s of this country. And certainly not helping themselves sell the place which was (maybe?) the purpose of the exercise. And that beautiful example of counterproductive mess I why we all love Argentina.

the real question is how much land is involved. just saying. argentina always sells as is. kinda dumb to me not to fix a place to get a better price
Many owners of high end places are completely broke. like they don't have a single peso (literally) in their pocket. Either they got lucky with an inheritance or they blew away all their money in some crazy thing and this is the last asset they have.

Many owners of high end places are completely broke. like they don't have a single peso (literally) in their pocket. Either they got lucky with an inheritance or they blew away all their money in some crazy thing and this is the last asset they have.
yeah, I have seen a lot of people making money think it will last forever, and they buy a place they cannot afford to maintain, only to cough it up in the end.

Back