Most underrated cities and towns of Argentina

What's the problem with Mendoza? Just curious....
Agreed about the centre of Bariloche. Unless it has improved in recent years it looked depressed to me last time I was there and God help you if you are there when the high school groups arrive.
Like so much in Argentina, tourism is neglected. There is no planning. And everything of course works on Argentine rules which means a lot of frustration for tourists.

I always feel on edge in Mendoza - the idea that there are a lot of wealthy tourists, and many thieves are there looking for ripe targets. But I very much enjoy visiting San Juan.

I always feel on edge in Mendoza - the idea that there are a lot of wealthy tourists, and many thieves are there looking for ripe targets. But I very much enjoy visiting San Juan.

More thieves there than in BA?

More thieves there than in BA?

Maybe the same ratio, but I definitely feel a heightened sense of awareness there. Could just be a lack of familiarity with the surroundings, unlike in BA.

Maybe the same ratio, but I definitely feel a heightened sense of awareness there. Could just be a lack of familiarity with the surroundings, unlike in BA.
I don't know. I haven't been there in about ten years but last time I felt safe.

I don't know. I haven't been there in about ten years but last time I felt safe.

Like all Argentina the mood has changed from calm to tense . I remember El Bolson in 2004 as being paradise on earth in summer . Nowadays it feels on edge with massive unemployment , social divisions between left and right . rising crime , and last summer the hantavirus scare that decimated the tourist season .

We were in Mendoza several months ago and the streets felt really dead compared to when I was there in 2011. There’s no critical mass anywhere. Even the main plaza was much sleepier than previously. The Park Hyatt was still a focal point, but that’s not where I want to hang out. The big park was neglected and sad. The nice restaurants seemed to be little islands in the midst of dreariness. It’s not that I felt unsafe, but it had no vibe. Not at all what I remembered from years ago. Many tourists now seem to stay outside the city.

We were in Mendoza several months ago and the streets felt really dead compared to when I was there in 2011. There’s no critical mass anywhere. Even the main plaza was much sleepier than previously. The Park Hyatt was still a focal point, but that’s not where I want to hang out. The big park was neglected and sad. The nice restaurants seemed to be little islands in the midst of dreariness. It’s not that I felt unsafe, but it had no vibe. Not at all what I remembered from years ago. Many tourists now seem to stay outside the city.
and

This is the new Argentina due to economic terrorism that has slashed the earning potential of 90 percent of the population. Mendoza is a gorgeous city well layed out and clean . I find the people charming and well educated . The first time I visited Mendoza in 2010 is was a booming city with the restaurants and nightclubs full . I was there recently and while I still enjoyed it the downturn in the economy has created a depressed vibe . One year has passed since we have been in recession and there is no feeling that there will be a upturn soon .

Last edited:
Back