Movies in BsAs

jkreisler

Registered
Has anybody else noticed that for the last couple of months they are not releasing many English speaking films at the cines. I've noticed quite a few American films that were scheduled to be released and then never released. Just curious if anybody knows anything about this. I'm thinking there is probably something going on with the distribution company as the films are still getting released in other cities around the world, just not in BsAS.

Which movies in particular are you talking about?

Here it depends on the kind of movie -- super big budget movies like Dark Knight will come out at the same time or within a week or two of the US. Lower budget movies will take a bit of time say a few months, movies that the Yanks want to market as a "summer" movie will often be pushed to coincide with Argentine summer, and movies that are considered shoe-ins for Oscars won't come out until after they've won the Oscar! On the other hand, movies that the studios feel unsure about will actually come out here BEFORE they've screened in the US -- ie Up! was released in Argentina a few weeks before it hit screens in the US and a few months before it ever screened in the UK. We went and saw that crapola movie with Bruce Willis the other week -- the Substitues or whatever it's called in english. It hadn't yet been released in the States. I think it will end up a straight to DVD there! There's been a few other instances of that over the years -- we saw the movie Taken when it was in theatres here, it didn't come out in North America until about 6 months later.

If you want to know release dates for movies: http://www.imdb.com/Recent/Argentina

You can see from the list it's not that bad -- movies that came out July / August / September are coming out Oct / Nov here. All the movies that open on the 25th Dec in the US are opening Jan 1st here. The funniest one on that list is that Halloween II is opening in January -- a case of "wha?"...

Those movies might be released here but you still have to go and hunt for them. I either watch them online or get a bootleg on the street and if a movie I want to see is at a theater, even if i've seen a bootleg, I usually still go.

When The Hang Over was out in the USA, it was still a good 2 or 3 months til it was here and I was tired of all my friend's FB posts about how awesome the movie was that I watched some crappy version online. When it came out here I went to the theater 2x to see it.

Just wondering, where do you find the translations of the titles? How do you know what the English title is in Spanish and vice versa?

katti said:
Just wondering, where do you find the translations of the titles? How do you know what the English title is in Spanish and vice versa?

The only way I know of is to look at the movie posters and see who is in it.

katti said:

Drives me crazy sometimes! heh. I can understand if a particular title doesn't translate very well, but sometimes some of the simplest titles are completely changed. Often, it's like the title must contain a description of the movies themselves so the people know what the movie's about.

Like "Bad Boys". "Chicos Malos" would be a direct translation. In English, Bad Boys doesn't tell us what the movie is about, it's just the title. But in Spanish it's "Dos Policias Rebeldes." Or something like that, I may be a little off. But it has to tell them what the movie's about.

What's worse is some of the terrible translations in subtitles I've seen. When the characters don't even come close to saying what the subtitles are translating. It's like the translator said "I don't know how to translate that into Spanish idiom so I'm going to make up something."

BTW - in the past two years, there were many more US and British movies playing here than there are now. I'm not talking about the release date time difference - that has always been the case. But I have noticed that more and more Argentine and French movies have been released than normal, with fewer of the US movies even planned to be released as far as I can tell.

I tend to suffer and just not watch the movies, unless they come out on one of the movie channels a year later. I don't like piracy...

I don't like piracy because I don't want to be supporting some disgusting guy in Eastern Europe who runs a trafficking ring and that sort of thing... however the studios / distributors have no right to complain about piracy in these days of the internet.

I listen to a lot of tech podcasts and one of the more interesting factoids I picked up recently was the SNAFU that NBC and some of the other studios committed when they left iTunes -- previously you could buy episodes for a couple bucks a pop, and they had decent download rates and were making some money, but they were pissed off that Apple was setting the prices -- they wanted to set their own prices! So they decided to walk out and go another direction. Silly studios, they left iTunes but didn't have anything set up immediately to go to -- so what happened? All these decent people that originally were perfectly fine with paying the 2.99 to dload an episode investigated torrents and not only did they start downloading the single episode they would have originally bought off of iTunes, but they went into overdrive and were downloading whole seasons of shows. So all these innocent people suddenly were like crack fiends -- couldn't get enough of the piracy sites.... of course a few months later those that left the iTunes store got themselves set up and sat there and waited for their loyal viewers to come back -- did they? Yes, some did... but more have stayed with the torrents! So in having their big harrumph about not making enough money by sticking with the iTunes stores, the studios actually shot themselves in the foot and lost more money and a LOT of faithful followers.

The studios should be prepared for another spike in piracy coming in 2010 -- Hulu.com has announced that it will be becoming a paid service -- I suspect even more people will be jumping ship.

We use a guy that delivers DVD quality movies to your door within 12 hrs of your online order. Pay in cash, $5 pesos a DVD. I feel badly every once in awhile but some of the stuff we order (Breaking Bad) we're just never going to see here otherwise.

syngirl said:
We use a guy that delivers DVD quality movies to your door within 12 hrs of your online order. Pay in cash, $5 pesos a DVD. I feel badly every once in awhile but some of the stuff we order (Breaking Bad) we're just never going to see here otherwise.

I watch my shows online. http://www.surfthechannel.com has tons of shows and new episodes up quick. Hell, I saw the new south park last night before people in california did. I did ending up buying a membership to megavideo, otherwise they cut you off of you watch too much in one day (like a whole movie)

Back