Moving back to BA from US and getting my retirement

MercyRego

Registered
I'm planning to move back to BA before the end of the year (if possible...). Born in BA but also American citizen. I would need a good advice about international moving companies to get my stuff safely in BA (not too many things, just books and some furniture). Also: any idea about collecting SS retirement benefits without being scammed by the banks? Thank you!

A few short comments that may help..

1. Bring every possible appliance and electronic device for 220 V as you can, you are allowed to enter duty free a max amount of dollars? . Prices here are very high. I once purchased all the appliances just before leaving and had the vendor remove all labels and boxes to consolidate with the moving company container. However with the current dollar exchange, Blue rate, you may purchase appliances here cheaper ? But quality?
  2. You may also qualify for a pre owned /new ? automobile duty free,,!!
  3. The SSA admin can deposit your pension in a USA bank account
  4. For moving companies contact NIKAD , user name , on this Forum

1. I can buy a transformer in BA, for my devices (not too many, though). But I can't carry a juicer, drill, fan, kitchen mixer, in my luggage...(all of them 110v).
2. I am aware about cars.
3. Yes, but the problem is withdrawing from THERE (BA).
4. Thank you!!

Does anyone receiving Social Security benefits directed to a US bank account have difficulty transferring money to a local account in Argentina?

Perhaps set up a dollar account in a local bank, have your check deposited there, then withdraw the dollars and exchange them in a cueva.

About appliances - I would buy them locally. True, imported ones are better, but the problem is that no one here knows how to fix them, and getting spare parts is almost impossible.

Argentina is considering a wealth tax which means that your assets in the US would be taxed here.

My dealings with Arg. banks has been beyond stressful. I'd avoid them if possible.

Perhaps set up a dollar account in a local bank, have your check deposited there, then withdraw the dollars and exchange them in a cueva.

About appliances - I would buy them locally. True, imported ones are better, but the problem is that no one here knows how to fix them, and getting spare parts is almost impossible.

What if we have another surprise like in 2001, with a new "corralito" and the banks/government freeze our money even the minimum, (I am not talking about a big sum of money), just my SS retirement....??

1. I can buy a transformer in BA, for my devices (not too many, though). But I can't carry a juicer, drill, fan, kitchen mixer, in my luggage...(all of them 110v).
2. I am aware about cars.
4. Thank you!!

Well very frugal, how about smart TV sets, sound systems, computers, mobiles, tablets, fridge, freezer, washer dryer, toaster, iron , hair dryer, blender/mixer, etc.

Transformers are a pain in the you know where.. you may get the right Voltage 220, , but frequency 50 or 60 cycles affects some devices.
Some devices like iron, toaster, space heaters, laser printers, 2000 Watts require a hefty transformer.

What if we have another surprise like in 2001, with a new "corralito" and the banks/government freeze our money even the minimum, (I am not talking about a big sum of money), just my SS retirement....??

Bank Macro has a plan for SSA recipients where they set up an account receive directly your SS payments and convert it to pesos at the official rate..!! NOT GOOD

Back