Moving back to BA from US and getting my retirement

Well very frugal, how about smart TV sets, sound systems, computers, mobiles, tablets, fridge, freezer, washer dryer, toaster, iron , hair dryer, blender/mixer, etc.

Transformers are a pain in the you know where.. you may get the right Voltage 220, , but frequency 50 or 60 cycles affects some devices.
Some devices like iron, toaster, space heaters, laser printers, 2000 Watts require a hefty transformer.

Totally true! My hair dryer from US in BA doesn't work properly (slower...). I am very frugal, yes, I am not planning to bring freezer, washer, etc.

thank you

All things being equal ... it if isn't technology related ... Cell phone, computer, tablet ... etc ... or very small appliance with dual voltage built in ... blow dryer, iron etc ... sell it in the country you are exiting ... and re buy it in the country you are arriving in. You will be about even in the end. You will have some cash from the liquidation, ZERO cost to relocate it ... NO HEADACHES with respect to damage, loss or customs ... no monkey business trying to fiddle with a voltage converter from 110 to 220 (Save a fire potentially!) And replacing with new ... Assuming you can afford it, that is the best route to go. The best things to take with you are MONEY ... your personal electronics / communication devices ... followed by anything non electronic that can be used anywhere. After that, re buy as needed ... again ... assuming you can afford it. My 2 cents.

All things being equal ... it if isn't technology related ... Cell phone, computer, tablet ... etc ... or very small appliance with dual voltage built in ... blow dryer, iron etc ... sell it in the country you are exiting ... and re buy it in the country you are arriving in. You will be about even in the end. You will have some cash from the liquidation, ZERO cost to relocate it ... NO HEADACHES with respect to damage, loss or customs ... no monkey business trying to fiddle with a voltage converter from 110 to 220 (Save a fire potentially!) And replacing with new ... Assuming you can afford it, that is the best route to go. The best things to take with you are MONEY ... your personal electronics / communication devices ... followed by anything non electronic that can be used anywhere. After that, re buy as needed ... again ... assuming you can afford it. My 2 cents.

Thank you. I tried to sell a "desk" for more than three months. Nobody wanted it. No surprised why people put everything on the sidewalk and leave...

Hello...this is God speaking. Do not change your address. Leave it in the U.S. Don't say a word to Social Security or your bank that you live outside the U.S. This is what I told Moses on top of Mt. Sinai.

2. Have your SS deposited in your U.S. bank account. Do not do anything else with it...no matter what. Don't get cute. Remember the burning bush?

3. Make sure you have a Paypal account. If you don't, get one before leaving the states.

4. Have someone you know and have confidence in who also has a Paypal account.

These steps will cover you for almost any contingency. Again, don't get creative....or....remember the pillar of salt?

Thank you. I tried to sell a "desk" for more than three months. Nobody wanted it. No surprised why people put everything on the sidewalk and leave...
Simply put PIGS GET SLAUGHTERED! What does that mean? It means that when one chases the money, often too many times too diligently, they overlook the greater, more intelligent good. HUH? Let me put that one into context if I may ...

All too many times I have seen people selling items that really have no value to another person, or truly very little value ... How to solve it? Simply appeal to the other person's greed? How is that accomplished? CHANGE TACTICS!! Once you know you have something no one will buy, or pay very little ... offer it for free! If the item is usable and in relatively good condition, someone generally will bite! The moral ... sell it if you can ... get some money. Give it away if you have to ... save your self the aggravation of having to pay to throw it away! BUT - NEVER ABANDON IT - It's simply not the right thing to do. Furthermore ... think down the line ... for time is your friend. If you can see your future far out, start by preparing today instead of near the moment of action. The more time you have to dispose of something, the higher probability of a good result on YOUR TERMS.

LASTLY - And this is no joke! EMBRACE MINIMALISM if you can. Health, happiness and peace of mind reign supreme. Relationships are close behind. Money is best, followed by essential then a few, trick, treasured possessions. All the rest is nothing more than a ball and chain keeping you both servant and prisoner. Spending g your life cleaning, polishing and protecting possessions is a terrific waste of your precious time alive. Collectors, in most cases are slaves!

Again ... my 2 cents!

Hello...this is God speaking. Do not change your address. Leave it in the U.S. Don't say a word to Social Security or your bank that you live outside the U.S. This is what I told Moses on top of Mt. Sinai.

2. Have your SS deposited in your U.S. bank account. Do not do anything else with it...no matter what. Don't get cute. Remember the burning bush?

3. Make sure you have a Paypal account. If you don't, get one before leaving the states.

4. Have someone you know and have confidence in who also has a Paypal account.

These steps will cover you for almost any contingency. Again, don't get creative....or....remember the pillar of salt?
HELLO GOD! You just provided some very sage advice.

In general terms ... Get all your financial ducks in a line. Before leaving EE UU have all your financial accounts up and running smoothly. As far as your financial providers are concerned, your EE UU address is valid and attended. (It never hurst to have the help of someone who is behind for the purpose of their address and or ... if they are very trustworthy ... thinking a close family member here ... to have access to your financial accounts should anything need to be done that you can't think of today. BUT - ONE THING I CAN THINK OF is for them to make the occasional EE UU transaction on an account to keep up appearances of being local. Once a financial institution gets an inkling of you living abroad ... you can fear closure of an account in a lot of instances. Then you have real problems bopping your money around and or making transactions.

EXCELLENT CC

What if we have another surprise like in 2001, with a new "corralito" and the banks/government freeze our money even the minimum, (I am not talking about a big sum of money), just my SS retirement....??
Good point.
Never have more than a month's worth of expenses in a bank account. Better still, withdraw the money the day after it gets to the bank.

Simply put PIGS GET SLAUGHTERED! What does that mean? It means that when one chases the money, often too many times too diligently, they overlook the greater, more intelligent good. HUH? Let me put that one into context if I may ...

All too many times I have seen people selling items that really have no value to another person, or truly very little value ... How to solve it? Simply appeal to the other person's greed? How is that accomplished? CHANGE TACTICS!! Once you know you have something no one will buy, or pay very little ... offer it for free! If the item is usable and in relatively good condition, someone generally will bite! The moral ... sell it if you can ... get some money. Give it away if you have to ... save your self the aggravation of having to pay to throw it away! BUT - NEVER ABANDON IT - It's simply not the right thing to do. Furthermore ... think down the line ... for time is your friend. If you can see your future far out, start by preparing today instead of near the moment of action. The more time you have to dispose of something, the higher probability of a good result on YOUR TERMS.

LASTLY - And this is no joke! EMBRACE MINIMALISM if you can. Health, happiness and peace of mind reign supreme. Relationships are close behind. Money is best, followed by essential then a few, trick, treasured possessions. All the rest is nothing more than a ball and chain keeping you both servant and prisoner. Spending g your life cleaning, polishing and protecting possessions is a terrific waste of your precious time alive. Collectors, in most cases are slaves!

Again ... my 2 cents!

I am a fan of minimalism. I dont possess unnecesary stuff. It is only that I would like to take with me a few things. Eventually I will give away furniture, but there are two pieces restored by myself that I would like to take with me.

Better donate unsold items to Emaus. It is a well-run charity - they accept all kinds of donations and pick up things in your home for free.

Emaus - Donations: call 4361-9030 / 4361-9080, Monday through Friday, 10:00-17:00 hs.

Last edited:
Back