Moving Back To The Usa, How To Get Rid Of Pesos Best

Forget it about taking pesos to the USA. Best bet: go to Galeria Boston in calle Florida, and get it all exchanged at whatever rate you can get. If you can get some at official rate get it too.

Forget it about taking pesos to the USA. Best bet: go to Galeria Boston in calle Florida, and get it all, exchanged at whatever rate you can get.

Ha ha, Matias you've got me rolling on the floor. Tell us another one!

Matias will take care of the 20% or 35 % tax on dollar ahorro o turista...

Dólar oficial: $ 8,28
Dólar ahorro: $ 9,945
Dólar Blue: $ 13,17
Dólar Turista: $ 11,15

Simply put, my wife finally got her tourist visa so we are moving for 6 months to the states and then to Mexico until her immigrant visa gets done. We had not really thought that she would actually get the tourist visa being my wife, but it's an medical emergency so they allowed it.

This leaves me with about 20k pesos and I have no clue what to do with them. What is the best way to get my pesos turned back into usable dollars? Here's some ideas of thought of but I am unsure if there are better.

1. Cueva- fast but in the end I'm probably losing a lot over other ways.

2. Tarjeta naranja. Luckily my wife has a 5k peso limit. I was originally thinking of leaving the 20k with her parents and then just using the card in the states to rebuy all I wanted to and then the rates like 11. I am really confused about this though and if it's even possible. What drawbacks is there to this? Will the govt allow her to do it?

3. Change in bank - will they allow her to since she has an actual tuorist visa, and will 1 week time be enough to? I know Argentina is slow if we have to fill out any type of paperwork.

4. Take to USA - are there any places that actually buy pesos now? I know in the Atlanta airport I sold a few pesos once, but that's while back.

Let me know what y'all think, or advice you can give. We leave in a week and the money is super needed as my mom has cancer and I will be helping her out financially.

Spouses get tourist visas all the time. It's not unusual and doesn't require a medical emergency unless the person is high risk.

The cueva is the most straightforward.
Using the credit card is doable, but will take 4 or 5 months to spend it all and although the rate is better now (than the current cueva rate) it may be worse in a few months. It also limits how much you have access to in case you need to make a big purchase quickly (and by big, anything more than 500 dollars).
The pesos are worthless in the US and changing at the official rate is impossible. Your wife (or you, if you can) should fill out the AFIP form to buy dollars for tourism - the amount they will allow you buy may be very low, but something is better than nothing. You're not allowed to buy until a week or, for some, a day before travel, so go ahead and fill out the form (it's online) and then head to the bank.
http://baexpats.org/topic/30950-guide-how-to-apply-for-authorization-for-travel-dollars
http://www.taringa.n...aso-a-paso.html

Get the dollars at the cueva. Transport cash. Forget about becoming an international trader with cheap leather goods. No one will buy your Pesos in the US.

Buy dollars, the pesos won't be worth crap when you come back, and the dollars you'll be able to sell again and if the rate goes up you'll make a profit.

Ha ha, Matias you've got me rolling on the floor. Tell us another one!

did I miss something? Im not kidding, just wondering... if you can prove that you earned that 20k pesos, like recibo de sueldo and such, you just have to go and fill the form. Its not so complicated, I know of people who did that. Consider you are saving like 50% dollars compared to the blue rate!

did I miss something? Im not kidding, just wondering... if you can prove that you earned that 20k pesos, like recibo de sueldo and such, you just have to go and fill the form. Its not so complicated, I know of people who did that. Consider you are saving like 50% dollars compared to the blue rate!

What dollar would this be Ahorro or Turista? at 8 pesos? a Matias Dollar?

Back