Moving from USA to Argentina....best option with phone?

I've only ever used the combo of Google Fi and Voice. The will never cancel your line if you're not restricting your usage in order to save money. My bill is usually between 80 and 100 each month. Google voice is my actual number. I have Fi so that I always have internet and don't have to worry about sims in other countries. But I will admit that data service in Argentina with Fi is slow compared to all other countries. If I'm on the go and need to make a call I have to use the Fi number because the data connection isn't good enough for a quality data call with Voice. I've never had this problem in other countries.
i've never had any issue with data speeds here in the city (or in neuquen either).

What is the cost to an in-country Argentine (friend, Uber driver, encargado, etc.) to call your Google Fi number, which I assume is a foreign number - are they charged for an international call? That would seem very limiting on use of the phone if so, but I have no idea how Movistar or whoever treats a local to->Fi call.
no clue, but 99% of the people that call me are already contacts on whatsapp anyway so most of the time they will write or call me through there and therefore it's no issue. even folks i dont know (say stores coordinating delivery) write me on whatsapp all the time.

there have been a handful of occasions where say, a remis driver will claim he tried to call me to find me but my number didn't work. usually that just means they didnt try because it wasn't a local number, which is fine, but this situation is not common so i don't really care. in my 5 years using it, there has been very little downside really and not near enough inconvenience to make me feel like i need a local number.

Google voice works great for almost everything.

Vonage does have a plan for less than $10 usd, plus taxes equals almost $19. you might need to ask them for the plan if no on-line signup. Unlimited incoming. Use Google voice for call back to your Vonage If need a long outgoing phone call.

Google Fi phone I only unpause for a day/hour when I need it. When paused you pay nothing, since pay by the hour. It is my primary phone when in USA.

In the past few years my Google voice has been considered a virtual number by many banks and now is not allowed for SMS verification. My USAA bank does not allow it. IRS verification does not allow either. Google Fi does work with my bank, IRS no. I did transfer my old Verizon landline number to another VOIP which does work for all SMS verification.

Finally any local cell service for daily cell/internet needs here in Argentina.
Weird I have usaa and don't have any problems with voice verification texts.

What is the name of the provider?
Amazon connect. Configured as if I am a call center, though it forwards to my GV. Zero cost except for times when spam incoming calls exceed 30 minutes per month. I never us it except for the few times I need to prove a non-virtual phone number. The same reason I kept Vonage, except finally tired of the cost.

not recommend unless you are already confident using AWS cloud services. Even this was more complicated than most aws, especially the LNP transfer from Vonage, which was originally a 90s Verizon landline.

Weird I have usaa and don't have any problems with voice verification texts.
Wow. they stopped allowing 2-3 years ago for me. This was always a virtual GV from before Google bought Grandcentral and converted to GV. Perhaps you LNP transferred your old number into GV?

Wow. they stopped allowing 2-3 years ago for me. This was always a virtual GV from before Google bought Grandcentral and converted to GV. Perhaps you LNP transferred your old number into GV?
Yeah I took my att number to gv 3 years ago.

Yeah I took my att number to gv 3 years ago.
That is good information. I always suspected it had to do with the origin of the phone number, and not the GV service specifically.

I transferred my ATT to Google Fi. USAA accepts that for SMS verification.

Hi, I'm moving to Argentina from the United States. I previously lived in Mexico where my phone plan with AT&T worked like it would in the US. Is there a best option? Apart from normal things I might also need my phone to log into websites like banks where it requires a pass code. Thank you.
Hi, I'm moving to Argentina from the United States. I previously lived in Mexico where my phone plan with AT&T worked like it would in the US. Is there a best option? Apart from normal things I might also need my phone to log into websites like banks where it requires a pass code. Thank you.
The easiest and least expensive is to get magicJack download it on an android phone get Nord VPN also on your phone,then when you get here get one of the local phone services like personal or claro. You can then log in to your bank account from the VPN and communicate with your bank on a local number. MJ is less than 50. A year. Best way to go. This system works great.

I get my bank and other sms codes with Google voice no problem.

How Can one download Google Voice on a local Android device.?

Google Voice no está disponible​

Google Voice no se admite aún en tu país

Back