Moving Home With Argentine Car.

ghost, didn't you bring in a US car over to Argentina? Were you able to legalise or "nationalise: your Lexus GS there in Argentina? I remember you stating that you flipped your car to an Argie car yard?
I brought a car INTO Argentina [a GS Lexus]. Legalized it. Sold it after some time. Made money on the deal. Now days I would never bring a Lexus to AR. Currently I fly as far under the radar as possible.

I will provide my input. In 2000-2002 I was living and working for GM Mexico in Toluca.
A fellow American worker bought a M Benz car. When the job was finished he tried to bring it to Florida.
The US Embassy told him that before he could do that, he had to supply 5 or 6 similar car to the US Govmt for crash testing!!.
I believe that old or antique cars ( pre-1960) may have a different treatment.
SELL IT!!!!!

ghost, didn't you bring in a US car over to Argentina? Were you able to legalise or "nationalise: your Lexus GS there in Argentina? I remember you stating that you flipped your car to an Argie car yard?

Yay! Hybrid is back!!

Where is home? And when you mean Argentine purchased car, if bringing in to the US, is a no go due to safety and smog regulation..
But possible to other parts of the world, such as to the Africas or NZ or AU perhaps?

Home would be the NYC, and the car is a Fiat bought in Argentina.

I will provide my input. In 2000-2002 I was living and working for GM Mexico in Toluca.
A fellow American worker bought a M Benz car. When the job was finished he tried to bring it to Florida.
The US Embassy told him that before he could do that, he had to supply 5 or 6 similar car to the US Govmt for crash testing!!.
I believe that old or antique cars ( pre-1960) may have a different treatment.
SELL IT!!!!!

Thanks for the advice. I'll have to sell it, which is a pity because it only has 21,000 km. I have an emotional attachment to this car.

Is it older than 25 years? Then getting legal in the US is a lot easier. Otherwise it is almost impossible. Unless it was identically available in the US.

It's a 2006 Fiat Palio that was kept in a private garage until I bought it. I don't remember if they drive Fiats in the States.

Where is home? And when you mean Argentine purchased car, if bringing in to the US, is a no go due to safety and smog regulation..
But possible to other parts of the world, such as to the Africas or NZ or AU perhaps?

You've been in CA too long Hybrid. This is not correct. Not all states have smog check requirements.

To import a vehicle into the US it has to meet US EPA and Highway Safety Administration egulations for that model's year. The document to certify that is a letter, identifying the vehicle by VIN Number from the manufacturer of the vehicle, in the country where it was made. For example - a Ford from Canada must have a letter from Ford of Canada, not a Ford Sales Dealership. There is an exemtion for vehicles older then 25 years old. Depending on value and origin you may have to pay duty. Go to www.cbp.gov and search for importing a pov for more information.

It's a 2006 Fiat Palio that was kept in a private garage until I bought it. I don't remember if they drive Fiats in the States.

Currently, they do NOT drive "FIAT"s in the US except for various forms of the new FIAT 500: http://www.fiatusa.com/en/

FIAT kind of has ownership over Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep now (I think), so they might introduce other models in the future, but FIAT's return to the US has only been in the last 3 to 5 years. (Almost definitely NOT before 2010.)

Back