Moving Home With Argentine Car.

Currently, they do NOT drive "FIAT"s in the US except for various forms of the new FIAT 500: http://www.fiatusa.com/en/

FIAT kind of has ownership over Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep now (I think), so they might introduce other models in the future, but FIAT's return to the US has only been in the last 3 to 5 years. (Almost definitely NOT before 2010.)

The new Fiat 500 remind of the old VW bugs. They're very cute.

To import a vehicle into the US it has to meet US EPA and Highway Safety Administration egulations for that model's year. The document to certify that is a letter, identifying the vehicle by VIN Number from the manufacturer of the vehicle, in the country where it was made. For example - a Ford from Canada must have a letter from Ford of Canada, not a Ford Sales Dealership. There is an exemtion for vehicles older then 25 years old. Depending on value and origin you may have to pay duty. Go to www.cbp.gov and search for importing a pov for more information.

Thanks for the link. This is what it said on that webpage:

"For CBP clearance you will need the shipper's or carrier's original bill of lading, the bill of sale, foreign registration, and any other documents covering the vehicle. You will also be required to complete EPA form 3520-1 and DOT form HS-7, declaring the emissions and safety provisions under which the vehicle is being imported. Vehicles that meet all U.S. emission requirements will bear manufacturer's label on the engine compartment in English, attesting to that fact. For vehicles that lack such a label, the CBP inspector at the port of entry may require proof of eligibility to import under the EPA exemptions or exclusions specified on form 3520-1.
Vehicles that do not meet all U.S. emission requirements, unless eligible for exemption or exclusion must be imported through an independent commercial importer (ICI). EPA will not allow the vehicles' release to the vehicle owner until ICI work is complete. The ICI will perform any EPA-required modifications and be responsible for assuring that all EPA requirements have been met. Some vehicles cannot be successfully imported or modified by an ICI, however, and in general, ICI fees are very high."

Thanks for the link. This is what it said on that webpage:

"For CBP clearance you will need the shipper's or carrier's original bill of lading, the bill of sale, foreign registration, and any other documents covering the vehicle. You will also be required to complete EPA form 3520-1 and DOT form HS-7, declaring the emissions and safety provisions under which the vehicle is being imported. Vehicles that meet all U.S. emission requirements will bear manufacturer's label on the engine compartment in English, attesting to that fact. For vehicles that lack such a label, the CBP inspector at the port of entry may require proof of eligibility to import under the EPA exemptions or exclusions specified on form 3520-1.
Vehicles that do not meet all U.S. emission requirements, unless eligible for exemption or exclusion must be imported through an independent commercial importer (ICI). EPA will not allow the vehicles' release to the vehicle owner until ICI work is complete. The ICI will perform any EPA-required modifications and be responsible for assuring that all EPA requirements have been met. Some vehicles cannot be successfully imported or modified by an ICI, however, and in general, ICI fees are very high."
sounds like a pain. There are several Fiat models (including electric) in US now if you like Fiat so much. I have shipped a car to Taiwan from US when a friend left US and forgot his old car. It cost more than 10k, about the same value of the car, and the car had to sit in different dept of the custom for 6 months. not worth it.,

The Fiat Palio will not be allowed into the US- if Fiat did not originally build a US version, then there is no way you can get it legally in. Its not just the emissions requirements, which it would probably not pass- there are a lot of other small legal requirements for US model cars, ranging from type of light, color of light, type of bumper, crash testing of the entire car, and on and on.
Fiat, as a company, would have had to prove the crash worthiness, by crashing several of the model.

There is a famous story about Bill Gates, at the time when he was the richest man in the world, trying to import a non-US spec Porsche 959 to the US. He, obviously, could spend as much as it took to get it legal, and, eventually, he had to get a new law passed by congress, declaring that certain cars that had international historical or technological significance, and that less than 500 were ever built, could, under certain circumstances, be registered and driven in the US.
Needless to say, a Fiat Palio does not qualify.

http://blog.dupontre...st-porsche-959/

I guess I'll have to advertise it here and sell it. I'll miss it.

Natalie will be leaving the forum soon for a new life in New York City. We don't often get to meet the people on this forum except those who attend coffee chats.

I found a video of Natalie today that I'd like share with you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZxWt2-MmHc

Natalie will be leaving the forum soon for a new life in New York City. We don't often get to meet the people on this forum except those who attend coffee chats.

I found a video of Natalie today that I'd like share with you.

https://www.youtube....h?v=-ZxWt2-MmHc

How embarrassing. LOL. I was so young then. I look at the video and remember how easy it was to take care of short hair. I got out my tango shoes and cleaned the dust off because in NYC I'm going to go back to teaching. No more taxis, taxi unions, and disgruntled employees for me....at least for a while. I'm not sure if many of the people who leave come back but my family here just shrugs their shoulders because the know I'll come back as I've been doing since I was 17. I think Argentine is not the same as it was twenty years ago, and it's time for a breather before I come back.

Then you'll be back in Buenos Aires when you need a breather from NYC. Let your family keep your car for your return.

It will be a soooo relaxing to drive in the States after driving in Buenos Aires.

Back