Moving In February! Need Your Input!

PNWKatie

Registered
Hi All!

I am new to this forum and wanted to reach out for some advice. My husband and I are planning on moving to BA in February from Seattle. A little bit of context....my husband is a US citizen but was raised in San Luis, Argentina from age 4-16 (Native Spanish and English speaker). At that time he had a DNI. He is applying to UBA this year to complete his Doctorate, if all goes well he would be starting in March. We do have some friends and family outside of BA, so we won't be totally alone. Here are some of the issues I'm exploring as we look at moving:

- Getting an apartment: As we could be here for up to 5-6 years I am hoping to find something long term and unfurnished that we can make our own. Is this impossible without a DNI, even if you have a Native Castellano speaker on your side? I am thinking it may take a while to get my husband's DNI reinstated....
- How much to budget per month: I know that the cost of living is increasing in BA. What would you suggest for 2 adults to live on per month? We tend to live fairly simply, but do enjoy the occasional dinner out or night of bar hopping. From what I can tell apartments are about 1/3 - 1/4 of the price in Seattle, but I am trying to get a sense of what our monthly budget should be for everything else.
- Phones: How do we go about using our cell phones here?
- Does anyone have experience starting a private practice as a therapist? My husband is a licensed therapist in the states and is interested in starting a private practice once we arrive. Does anyone have any information on what the procedure/restrictions are for that?

Anything else I should know? Nice to meet you all and thanks for your input!

Count on about the same budget for living as you have in Seattle. Some things are cheaper but many are more expensive. You won't be able to rent at the non-tourist rate without having another property used as collateral. This is called a "garantia" here and you will have to find someone willing to do this for you.

I would budget about $2500 per month for two if you want to live in a decent place, eat well and enjoy some of the activities BA offers. Some people can live cheaper but that's my ballpark figure.

Use the search on this forum and many of your questions will be answered.

Advice: Don't trust anybody.

Plan a budget of 5000 usd for 2 ppl for a decent styled life style compared to Seattle

Thanks for your input! Our budget for living in Seattle is honestly enormously high. Evening living simply (one shitty car, shitty apartment, no cable, public transit) we need about $6000 per month. We are fine (and actually looking forward to) simplifying from our life in the states. Apartments in Seattle are about $2200-$2500 for anything decent in the city. In Seattle you basically need to make 6 figures to live a middle class life within the city limits. After coming up with a preliminary budget I think we can make our life work in BA (given that we simplify a little bit..like not having cars...etc..) on about $3000-$3500 usd to per month. Does that seem reasonable for 2 adults living in a one bedroom apartment in San Telmo, trying to live a more "Argentine" style life? Or am I in La La land? Our Argentine friends have given us mixed reviews on the cost of daily goods like groceries, cell phone plans, utilities, etc.. I think my husband will have a much easier time living the typical Argentine life than I will, as he is used to rural Argentina.

Moving to Argentina to simplify life? Get back to us in 6 months.. :p

You should be fine with the budget you described. That's about what I need in Seattle with a wife and child and we live quite modestly.

Most Argentines make do with much less. Take the advice of family and friends first.

We live on half of that amount (no car, no Starbucks, some dinner out at local places (=not fancy parrillas for tourists)).

I would avoid San Telmo for safety issues. Palermo or Recoleta are a better fit. Also, touristic rentals (furnished) are about the same as standard rentals (unfurnished, need a garantita). I'd go with tourist rental if I had to do it all over.

You don't mention why your husband's DNI would be reinstated - if he is not a citizen he should apply for a DNI on new grounds (are you here to study, correct? So a student visa).

About working as a therapist it really depends on the specific profession - is it regulated in Argentina or not?

Buenos Aires is not very modern or on the forefront of nightlife, but it offers plenty of cultural events for little or no money.

I'm a little confused....you are saying we need $5000 per month to live a fairly simple life. It seems that others are saying closer to $3000-$3500. Why do you say $5000? Just curious...

The building quality and finishes are not comparable to where I come from but i would say you can get at decent apartment for $1000-1500/m including expenses, gas etc.

Internet and cell phone plans are expensive, cost of buying electronics or a car is about three times higher here so it really depends on what you mean with simple life but without a car and cooking all meals at home and not spending money on anything else i think you could make it on 3000.

However, you say you want to furnish the apartment and i guess you want to have a social life here so i would budget for a lot more.

Back