Moving In February! Need Your Input!

Thanks for your input! Our budget for living in Seattle is honestly enormously high. Evening living simply (one shitty car, shitty apartment, no cable, public transit) we need about $6000 per month. We are fine (and actually looking forward to) simplifying from our life in the states. Apartments in Seattle are about $2200-$2500 for anything decent in the city. In Seattle you basically need to make 6 figures to live a middle class life within the city limits. After coming up with a preliminary budget I think we can make our life work in BA (given that we simplify a little bit..like not having cars...etc..) on about $3000-$3500 usd to per month. Does that seem reasonable for 2 adults living in a one bedroom apartment in San Telmo, trying to live a more "Argentine" style life? Or am I in La La land? Our Argentine friends have given us mixed reviews on the cost of daily goods like groceries, cell phone plans, utilities, etc.. I think my husband will have a much easier time living the typical Argentine life than I will, as he is used to rural Argentina.

Two adults paying a regular lease should perfectly live with 3000-3500 monthly. If you get private health insurance expect to pay 600-700 a month, then 1000 for a nice one bedroom including building fees, utilities ( gas, electricity, water, city tax, cable and internet ) about 100 for your cellphone company and you are left with about 1700 for food, transport and leisure.

If your husband has relatives here and he does not have a DNI you will better off getting a relative to sign or co sign a regular lease.

Not sure about starting a practice here, he should contact the local association of therapists.

My...husband is a US citizen but was raised in San Luis, Argentina from age 4-16 (Native Spanish and English speaker). At that time he had a DNI. He is applying to UBA this year to complete his Doctorate, if all goes well he would be starting in March. We do have some friends and family outside of BA, so we won't be totally alone.

You mention that your husband had a DNI from age 4-16 but you didn't indicate on what basis he had the DNI. If he was born in Argentina he already has citizenship.

Even if he wasn't born in Argentina, I believe he would be eligible for citizenship if either of his parents were born in Argentina. You would then be eligible for permanent residency based on your marriage, and you might be able to apply for citizenship without fulfilling the two year residency requirement that applies to most foreigners.

He may also have the option to get (only) permanent residency if he wasn't born in Argentina but one of his parents was born here but he doesn't want to apply for citizenship.

If he wasn't born in Argentina or doesn't have a parent who was born here, he could get a student visa (and the DNI), but I'm not sure if you could also get a DNI based on your marriage. to someone with a student visa.

I don't recall anyone ever asking about this in the past, and I've read (almost) all of the posts about residency and citizenship that have appeared here since 2006

Getting an apartment: As we could be here for up to 5-6 years I am hoping to find something long term and unfurnished that we can make our own. Is this impossible without a DNI, even if you have a Native Castellano speaker on your side? I am thinking it may take a while to get my husband's DNI reinstated...

Getting an unfurnished apartment with a two year lease is usually contingent on being able to provide a guarantia and most landlords require that it is provided by a family member. Just having a DNI and speaking Spanish probably won't be enough to get a two year lease.
Phones: How do we go about using our cell phones here?

Just choose a provider (Claro, Personal, Moviestar, etc), go to one of their storefront vendors and buy an SIM card. You may only be able to get a prepaid account without a DNI, but your phones will work as long as they are unlocked. I think it might also be possible to buy an SIM card at many kioskos (where you can also charge your phones).

Does anyone have experience starting a private practice as a therapist? My husband is a licensed therapist in the states and is interested in starting a private practice once we arrive. Does anyone have any information on what the procedure/restrictions are for that?

This question has been asked in prior years and the answer has always been that he must fulfill the requirements to become a licensed therapist in Argentina...whatever they are...before starting a private practice. Unfortunately, I don't think exact details have ever been provided.

Obviously, being licensed in the States isn't enough to start a practice in Argentina, but it would be interesting to know if foreign degrees are recognized in Argentina when applying for a license to practice psychotherapy in Argentina (in addition to other requirements).

Lifestyles vary immensely.
My wife and I live 3 months of the year in Buenos Aires, the rest of the time not far from Seattle.
We spend much less in Argentina than we do in the USA.
But- we own an apartment in argentina.
Taxes, utilities, and other building expenses for ownership are much less in Argentina than in Wa. State.
We dont have argentine health insurance- we pay as we go (also a fraction of the US cost) since we are only part time.
We have no car, so thats a huge savings.
We go out a lot- but not to Million and drink fancy cocktails.
I find for art, music, theater, and culture in general, BA is a bargain.

But everybody is different, in terms of what you consider a necessity.
I do think you can live, quite nicely, for a lot less than six grand a month.
An apartment is the big question- prices are cheaper than seattle, for sure, but they range.
Furnishings are expensive if you want new imported stuff- but the Pulgas (the flea market) along with various antique stores and street markets will have amazing antiques of many different styles for not much- we have pieces that would cost triple or more in the US, accumulated over time, that were all bargains.
ANYTHING imported is expensive, particularly electronics. You bring as much as you can from the US, and you adapt to living with less, and buying local, and you will be fine.
You will also have a lot of fun, if you try.

Do you really need a car? That would simplify alot things. I liked living in BA without a car. I think $3500 should be fine lifestyle without a car. I like Palermo.

I think $3500 should be fine lifestyle without a car. I like Palermo.

3500$ is quite decent for a single person. 4000$ is really comfortable for a single person.

5000$ is really comfortable for a couple.

There seems to be a wide discrepancy of opinions on how much you'd need to live well, and I suspect it has to do with what your individual opinion of "living well" means. That being said, from what I've observed commented about prices, my POV (I lived in Argentina 7 years ago but those are like dog years and many things have clearly changed) is that it has indeed gotten more expensive than it was years and this has many people in a disarray, however, based on what I've read here regarding updated prices, many things are still cheaper (albeit perhaps there is not that much a spread in price) than North America/Europe.

Examples-

Someone mentioned a nice steak dinner for 2 now costing the likes of $100-$150, while this is more than what I paid 7 years ago, I did just pay $400 in the US for a Ruth's Chris steakhouse steak dinner for two, and we ordered one of the 'cheap special' bottles of wine and did not have dessert. Personally I find most quality Argentinian places better than Ruth's Chris.

Wine and drink prices- Hit or miss depending upon what. Some Restaurants in The USA are charging $16 by the glass for Malbec. Again, while wine prices may have gone up they are still not US prices except of course if you get an import (but with Argentinian wines being so great why would you?)

Someone also used the example of hair cuts. This just depends. Are we comparing prices to SuperCuts or something else? Most 'upscale' salons in major cities in the Us and Europe can be expensive in comparison to the average 'nice' (I.E. hair and body salon on avenida Santa Fe in BA) place

Quality private health insurance is (and probably always will be) significantly cheaper and just a heck of a lot easier to deal with.

Rent prices are equivalent now to US prices but definitely not as high as major cosmopolitan US cities (i.e. Seattle NYC Chicago la San Fran etc) they are higher now than most Southern European cities but that's still a result of the financial crisis (12 years ago I was paying 700 euros for a room in Italy, now it would prob be 400 or so) but I do agree that the quality and what you get for your money is generally less than you'd find abroad.

If it's your thing, you can still get help (cleaning lady, nanny, etc) a lot cheaper too.

I think it is possible to live remotely well for less than what's been mentioned here, you might just have to forego some 'expat creature comforts' we feel like we 'need' coming from abroad, (i.e. Starbucks) that being said, while most of my Argy friends (middle and upper middle class young professionals mainly) bitch and moan, they all still seem to live relatively well, travel to Europe and the states on their vacations, and while they might not do the typical American 'bored Saturday afternoon so hitting the sales shopping spree at the mall' or eat out every day, they still consume quite a bit and have active social lives.

Again I think it's all relative to what you deem "living well"

I HAVE HAD AN APARTMENT IN SAN TELMO FOR 12 YEARS, WHILE I AM NOT THERE FULL-TIME, BUT AT LEAST 4-6 WEEKS A YEAR. I HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH CRIME...I WALK AROUND AT NIGHT, TO AND FROM THE GROCERY ETC.

I have a variety of friends and family (husband's) that live in different neighborhoods. You can find something in your budget. All areas have their ups and downs. I have one brother in law that lives in a standard 3 bedroom apt in Almagro. They pay $20,000 pesos a month. Meanwhile, another person lives in a 1 bedroom apt, but in a nicer area between Belgrano and Palermo right on Cabildo (really nice location) and they pay ~$12,000 pesos a month. Everyone has some "expenses" on top of that (which are likely monthly association fees to pay for the cleaning people, the doorman etc). Regarding construction, the older buildings are sturdy an all, but the gas lines and water pipes are old, constantly causing problems. Meanwhile the new buildings are done so fast and so cheap that they look great and have issues within 1 year! So you know, pick your battle. Nothing is perfect.

Living in BA can still be amazing (even with the inflation and unpredictability in general), but I would be prepared not to feel like your life has truly become more simple. If anything, you will likely appreciate that in the States, certain things are so easy and automatic that you don't really notice them until things have changed...things like paying bills, setting up a bank account, buying a car, getting the electricity put in your name, and signing the lease on an apartment. Your husband's Spanish fluency will definitely help you communicate, but be prepared to be very frustrated that the seemingly basic steps of life can be agonizingly difficult in BA, especially at the beginning. So much bureaucracy and so little efficiency. It was the hardest adjustment for us by far.
Also, BA is a different world from the provinces, so your husband will probably experience culture shock as well.
Obviously, your greatest expense will be likely be your apartment and rents go up, so choose carefully. I would rent an Airbnb for awhile until you have really sussed out the neighborhoods. I'm curious why you have settled on San Telmo?
We bought a car and I'm glad we did, but especially in San Telmo, you will need to pay for a garage spot...and you may have difficulty finding one available there.
Welcome to the forum! You're obviously invested in moving here and making it work!

I'm curious why you have settled on San Telmo?
We bought a car and I'm glad we did, but especially in San Telmo, you will need to pay for a garage spot...and you may have difficulty finding one available there.

Katie (the OP) has yet to say or or even ask anything about which neighborhood to live in.

San Telmo got a "SHOUT OUT" (all caps) from another member who had something to say about never having a problem with crime while living there only 4-6 weeks per year.

Katie didn't mention having a car, either. I lived in Capital Federal for four years without one and never wanted one.

If her husband has to get to one of the UBA campuses on a regular basis that could be a major factor in choosing a place to live, but I'm not sure how often a PhD candidate would have to do that.

It looks like the UBA psychology campus/building is located in (or near) Once. I looked at several PH "apartments" in that area, walked all around it, and I did not find it a very desirable area in which to live.

I agree that renting a temporary apartment (perhaps in Palermo for at least a month) is a great idea.

Back