Moving In Sept! Any Advice?

If you were claiming that you were going to pay rent, people would just dismiss you as crazy and not even bother. There is no way you'll have enough with $2,500 pesos. No way.

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]See that ARS 1500 discounting Medicus (ARS 400) are 1100 ARS , this means around 36 ARS per day; this might be the cost of 1kg of apples in the city. (4 apples per day). Also if you want to make translations or to be an English teacher, you will need to speak Spanish acceptably.[/background]

I've done my math and realized it will cost me from $1500-$2500 ARS per month to get by comfortably in Argentina. This covers food, services, medical insurance, travel, and spending money. This is a 'safe' estimate that allows for inflation.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha

Alright alright, since everyone disagrees with me on the grocery bill and I'm getting my information from a local (and her family) who's born and raised in Bs.As, let's agree to disagree and move on. :D If anyone actually seriously wants to know how its possible, message me privately.

Putting that part aside - any further guidance regarding teaching english, translating, or local jobs?

Alright alright, since everyone disagrees with me on the grocery bill and I'm getting my information from a local (and her family) who's born and raised in Bs.As, let's agree to disagree and move on. :D If anyone actually seriously wants to know how its possible, message me privately.

Right, we just live here. What the hell do we know...

I meant no disrespect. I may well be completely wrong, or maybe spendthrift locals know things you don't. Either way, let's move on?

Fine, it's really no skin off my back, but you have to realize that there is a long tradition of people posting budgets based on fantasy prices before complaining here once their bubble is burst. So it's not personal, it's just kind of old.

FYI bus drivers here earn $10000 pesos as a starting salary.

edit: Please update this thread in october or november to tell us how you're doing. If you've been successfully managing with 33-66% of what would be required to be above the poverty line in a 3rd world country.... well kudos to you! You'll have to understand if we're a little skeptical.

No matter how "local" you are, a loaf of bread is still going to be the same price, and the total for your groceries is going to be a lot higher. You should consider that. Also, some of the people on this forums have been in BA for 20+ years. Many are extremely price conscious. I think this is not about agreeing to disagree, this is about helping you realize that you must plan ahead and reconsider the money matters because if you don't your planning will be totally useless once you're here.

LoL, guys, I'm not paying rent!

US$250 covers food, internet, medicus plan, subte, and cellphone bill.

Tell us expats living here in Buenos Aires your secrets. $250 US gets me by for five days, and I don't even eat out.

I would be wary of any insurance plan that only costs $450 pesos/month. What hospital would they cover? Not a good one at any point.

LoL, guys, I'm not paying rent!

US$250 covers food, internet, medicus plan, subte, and cellphone bill.

Tell us expats living here in Buenos Aires your secrets. $250 US gets me by for five days, and I don't even eat out.

I would be wary of any insurance plan that only costs $450 pesos/month. What hospital would they cover? Not a good one at any point.

Back