Moving In Sept! Any Advice?

I'm guessing he is young. So it's possible the lowest level of medicus plan is only that. I have no idea what the coverage is though for that.

I'd say without rent, a safe but low estimate for a spartan existence is about 4000 pesos, assuming all grocery costs will be shared, you're eating inexpensively (ie, lots of rice, beans, only veggies in season, etc) and not paying utilities or rent or anything else. But with that, you're not going to be eating out or doing anything costly or buying anything besides necessities like food. Also keep in mind health care costs go up 25% a year.

I meant no disrespect. I may well be completely wrong, or maybe spendthrift locals know things you don't. Either way, let's move on?

With all due respect, it seems you think expats here are just hanging out spending their trust fund Dollars. There might be a couple who are doing that, but the rest of us earn in Pesos and live like locals. There are a number of threads here about how to save money.

Is it technically possible to live on (I'll go generous) $2500 ARS per month without paying rent? I guess so since your Argie gf will be paying the rent. But, having lived in this city for almost 10 years now I'll bet that your gf is secretly thinking you'll somehow bring home the bacon (hint: U$) since your from North America. Once she starts really having to support you the idea can quickly becomes un-romantic.

Here is how life looks here on $1500 ARS per month.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4mO4IUr96Y

Tell us expats living here in Buenos Aires your secrets. $250 US gets me by for five days, and I don't even eat out.

I would be wary of any insurance plan that only costs $450 pesos/month. What hospital would they cover? Not a good one at any point.

A $450 insurance plan may exist if you are a minor dependent ? :confused: without a pre existing ailment!!

I'm in my late 20s and my Medicus plan (not the lowest but only one step up from the lowest) is currently 707 pesos and change a month. Any private plan will jump quite a bit in price once you hit your 30s. Any private plan will cost more if you tell them about a pre-existing condition. And of course, they all go up regularly due to inflation. Your cheap cell phone plan doesn't sound off. Everyone I know has a plan for less than AR $200, including myself.

As for everything else, I'm laughing and shaking my head along with the rest of the group. My household of two survives on an income of part dollars and part pesos. We are pretty frugal and live in a middle class neighborhood so that we can save those dollars, but it's not easy. Back in 2011 I survived alone on exactly AR $2500 per month, barely. It sucked. Now? My husband's and my health insurance plans alone come to almost AR $2000.

El Niño, sorry we're all dashing your illusions, but unless you're taking a time machine instead of a plane to Buenos Aires, I can't fathom you surviving on that budget if you have to buy food, even though you're not paying rent. I can't help but wonder if your girlfriend's family is painting a cheap and easy picture of life so you'll move down here, therefore keeping her from considering moving up there. Porteño families don't tend to like the idea of the birds ever leaving the nest. Then again, you say "I've done my math," so maybe you just haven't asked them the right questions. Coming here was smart.

You have to remember the vast majority of BAexpaters are Neoliberal expats - not immigrants. And they read the Neoliberal rag Clarin, which notoriously lies about inflation figures in order to discredit the progressive policies of the current administration!

We just saw Rich One talking about the expensive prices of coffee based on propaganda from Clarin.

If you have the heart and strength of an immigrant - not the decadence of an expat - you can live a good Porteno lifestyle of Fugazzeta and Fernet.

Yikes yes someone mentioned the "gong to the movies" thing and all of a sudden I remembered, oh yeah, yikes, the guy has an Argentine girlfriend -- it's rare the Argentine girlfriend that doesn't expect the guy to foot the entire bill for everything all the time. I think a movie entrance is now 60 pesos for regular price (without any coupons etc) -- anyone else remember those days back in 2005/6 when you could do 2 for 1 movie night on weds for 8 pesos -- not 8 pesos each, 8 pesos for 2 entradas, that's insane!

Yikes yes someone mentioned the "gong to the movies" thing and all of a sudden I remembered, oh yeah, yikes, the guy has an Argentine girlfriend -- it's rare the Argentine girlfriend that doesn't expect the guy to foot the entire bill for everything all the time. I think a movie entrance is now 60 pesos for regular price (without any coupons etc) -- anyone else remember those days back in 2005/6 when you could do 2 for 1 movie night on weds for 8 pesos -- not 8 pesos each, 8 pesos for 2 entradas, that's insane!

Went to see Muerte en Buenos Aires on Thursday evening. It was 75 pesos at Recoleta Mall and 70 at Abasto.

Alright alright, since everyone disagrees with me on the grocery bill and I'm getting my information from a local (and her family) who's born and raised in Bs.As, let's agree to disagree and move on. :D If anyone actually seriously wants to know how its possible, message me privately.

You are only willing to share this information with anyone who "actually seriously" wants to know via private message?

That could be an exceptionally lousy way to give as well as get good advice here.

Putting that part aside - any further guidance regarding teaching english, translating, or local jobs?

I don't think there are many translating jobs in Argentina for a foreigner with a previously acknowledged "lack of Spanish fluency" as a license is required to make legal translations in Argentina. There may not be many jobs teaching English to someone who doesn't bother to capitalize the word or know when, on rare occasions, it is acceptable to use two adverbs in a row.

$2500 a month is overkill. The government (INDEC) has determined that 6 pesos a day in sufficient to meet your dietary needs: http://www.taringa.n...os-por-dia.html

30x6 = $180. So $180 a month is all you need. You are budgeting 10 times too much!

indecmenu.jpg

Back