Moving in September-help!

"criswkh" said:
... HSBC is only the name here, so your account in the states won't work here.
I use my US HSBC account no trouble.
"criswkh" said:
If you try to wire money into the country to a bank the government takes 30% and freeze it for a year, unless you have a visa with residency.
don't know if this is true, maybe $$$$$$ - I wire money no trouble, bank has no idea of my visa - just sign a couple of papers that state provedence.

Obra social 600 peso
Food 20 peso x 30 = 600 peso
Rent = 800 peso for a small room in a shared appartment
That is 2000 peso already
It´s not impossible to get 2000 peso as a English teacher, but that is if you have a job.
It would be crazy to move to BA without friends, family, money, a place to stay and no real plan

I think that every single with atleast a semi decent job in the US can save 300 to 500 dollar a month especially if you have a goal to save for. Then it would take you about a year to save for some kind of buffer

Patch,
I have two posts about debit cards and credit cards:
Banking and Credit Card Fees
http://www.discoverbuenosaires.com/banks-and-credit-cards
Where are we getting the best exchange rates:
http://www.discoverbuenosaires.com/currency-exchanges-and-rates
We are using a Schwab online checking account and debit card and paying no fees and getting a really good currency exchange rate as well.Hope this helps. And like everyone else, I would recommend coming down with some savings - you never know what is going to happen and without a support structure here, it may be much more difficult to deal with then back home.

I do HAVE money. Having money is not spending money. I must not understand the price of everyday items in BA if $10,000 is recomended. I spent 6 months in Rome and spent under $5000. Also, CABJ-You and I disagree on what is crazy (and what is arrogant and rude)

You can move here without friends and family. We did that from Chicago. Besides if you move down here....you can watch the Sox/Cubs game with us fellow Chicagans. Also, it is winter down here I don't miss the snow :) Buen suerte.

HSBC is only the name here, so your account in the states won't work here.
This is true, but only to a point. You can use your HSBC debit cards here, what you cannot do is open an account from home ( I tried and my bank were embarassed to find they could not do it) The usual limits apply but HSBC will not charge for the use of thier cards.
If you try to wire money into the country to a bank the government takes 30% and freeze it for a year, unless you have a visa with residency.
This is also sort of true, again the best way is to deposit money at home and withdraw it via your debit card. (bring the max with you $10,000) Signing up for property is the only way to get around the money issue, but that brings a whole lot of other problems: see http://journals.aol.co.uk/tangogales/bob-buys-in-bsas/
Lastly, my personal view is that it is not quite as expensive as some would have you belive, it is all about where you set your levels. Stick with the locals and stay away from the tourist areas. I can buy lunch for two for less than AR$10 ($4?) to eat in my appartment, but hot and with free bread, even throw in a plastic knife and fork if you need it. Taxis seem cheap, but can soon add up. The subte is cheap as are the collectivos (although the routes are still a mystery to me) Finally if you want to phone home, forget your mobile, you will need to sell an organ to pay for it. Go into a locotorio, they are metered so you can see what you are paying, and I find calling my daughter cheaper than calling from home. N.Wales to Bournemouth (UK)
Remember nothing ventured nothing gained.

Quality healthcare is cheap, so if thats your major worry - rest easy. You can get affordable, fully comprehensive health care at affordable prices.
Check out www.osde.com.ar or www.swissmedical.com.arAn HSBC account is helpful, easier to transfer money and if you lose your card its less hassle replacing it. Cost of living isn't that bad. If you're here long term and you want to buy quality property, and kit it out with the latest high end gadgets and designer furnishings then its frustratingly expensive. Whilst dinner out for 2 in a top restaurant might be a bargain, getting good bed linen and a new TV is frustratingly expensive compared to home. Takes a while getting used to whats cheap and whats not, but I wouldn't be overly worried. You can have a great lifestyle here for relatively little money, especially if you've got USD to spend.

As many people here says , there is too much unemployment. And if there is a job , An Argentinian is given first. As for healthcare I would advise you to use the public hospitals which are free of charge and the best doctors are there. There is no need to pay for HIGH "quality" healthcare because in the end, you have the best doctors at State hospitals. And yes you need money, we do not live in the jungle as many foreighners thought we did, before they came here.

don't let some of the negative comments on here stress you out more. i moved here without a plan about a month ago, and it is working out fine. I wouldnt say I am completely set up here yet, but I also wouldnt call it a failure. making a move like this takes a lot of courage, but if you are determined you will find a way to make it work. good luck patch.

Back