Moving out in December

onmywaytoBA

Registered
Hi,

I land on Xmas day to start my new life in BA. I speak conversational spanish and have a job sorted already which is great. But one thing I don't have is a place to live.

I live in London now, and here it's very common to live in a house share with between 2 - 6 people that you don't know. Is that the case in BA as well What I am looking for is a house share with 2 / 3 other people, but locals NOT expats, as in my job I'll be speaking English, so I want to try and limit out of work communication to Spanish wherever possible in order to get to fluency.

Any suggestions on how / where I could find a room in a spanish speaking house share?? By the way I'm targetting Palermo / Recoleta and budget is 300 - 500 USD per month.

Thanks for any tips!!:)

brush up on your wiki rules of argentine spanish its different here from madrid / mexico... and 300-500 on recoleta will not get you much... better think 7-1000 unless you want hostel like conditions...

I disagree. I think with 450 - 500 USD per month you should be able to find a decent room in a shared house. I wouldn´t expect luxuries or anything, but for US$500 (pesos $2000) you should be able to find a very decent room in a shared house.

At any rate, my personal recommendation would be to book a nice hostel for a week or so, and look for a place to live once here. I really would NOT recommend reserving a room/apt without having seen it, even if it has pictures. Argentinians are sneaky creatures at making money from foreigners so I would definitely want to check it out before you put any money down. Otherwise, you may be stuck a whole month or more in a dump which you paid way too much for...

Just my two cents, and happy hunting! There are some really nice, fun house shares out there, you just gotta find them! I used www.compartodepto.com, which is like an Argentine easyroomate.com

My name is Rick, a native of Galveston Tx, living in Mar del Plata for 3 years now with my Argentina math teacher wife. I am a retired marketing consultant and state employee.

I will try to answer any questions... especially about Mar del Plata.

Suerte, y'all! -CapnRick

Hey there!

Im moving to BA in Feb next year 2011. I live just outside London at present! Were literally neighbours now and we will be in 3 months! Ha ha! Whereabouts in London are you from ?

Thomas.dwight said:
Hey there!

Im moving to BA in Feb next year 2011. I live just outside London at present! Were literally neighbours now and we will be in 3 months! Ha ha! Whereabouts in London are you from ?

Hi Thomas! I live in good old Hackney at the moment, not from here though, from Buckinghamshire. Where do you live? We'll have to go for a beer in BA when you get there!

Back