Moving to Argentina within 3-4 months!

My name is Ross and I am an American.

you may want to change this to "i am from the u.s.". argentines are americans, too, as are mexicans, columbians, etc etc...

Canadian<3;137657 said:
I also dont drink, so that helps out the budget a lot I would assume.

A Canadian who doesn't drink?

Is this someone's playful second identity? :eek:

I guess I'd just ask why BA? It's as expensive as the US in most ways and good jobs are rare for expats. It's a wonderful city in many ways, and I'd highly recommend it if you have a good job and can afford an upper middle class BA lifestyle-- let's say spending minimum US $60K/ yr. If not, I'd be looking at Peru and Colombia for a more sane and affordable LAM adventure.

$60k??? Are you joking jb5? You can have a good life here for half that. Not everyone's into the jockey club lifestyle.

quote: My name is Ross and I am an American.

mariposa said:
you may want to change this to "i am from the u.s.". argentines are americans, too, as are mexicans, columbians, etc etc...

I presumed Ross was being ironic. I read it that he was standing up in front of us for the first time - just like at Alcoholics Anonymous

I presumed Ross was being ironic. I read it that he was standing up in front of us for the first time - just like at Alcoholics Anonymous

that's funny!

$60K couldn't touch the jockey club lifestyle.

It's my opinion that living on little money in BA, which most expats end up doing because they can't get decent jobs, isn't worth it. If I were making the decision as a prospective expat, I'd go to places where you can live more comfortably on little money.

In Lima, for example, you can have a good, balanced meal all over the city for US $2. Rent and groceries are much cheaper too.

To me, in Buenos Aires having the funds to live in a nice secure apartment, take taxis everywhere, eat at good restaurants (because the normal ones are typically really bad), have a maid to wait on all of the lines and clean the dog poop off your shoes, afford $12 chickens and
$20 fish so you don't die of clogged arteries at 25 from eating 5 pounds of cheap beef each weeks....is important to being comfortable enough to stay awhile. I
estimate that takes minimum $60K/yr.

I am fully aware people live on much less. But everyone here isn't 22 and willing to live with 4 people in 400 square feet, cram into the subte and eat empanadas. So I throw in my 2 cents for the retirees and others who still think you can have a comfortable middle class lifestyle in BA for nothing.

If you are looking for the same lifestyle as home with a nice one bedroom apartment. good medical care, good quality food, nightlife once a week, high quality clothing you need to budget for US $ 3000 per month . Any less than that you will be living very sparingly I say .

Good point JB5, I agree that $50-60k is a fair estimate for someone who prefers a better experience than living in a shared place eating as cheap as possible most of the time. That said, it can be done as others says on about 30k but surely not the quality of life generally desired by someone over 30 y/o.

Back