Moving To B.a. In January. Is Part-Time Work Easy For Expat?

Hahaha wow! Harsh start to this website, I can take it though. Taking the time to respond to my question is much appreciated as I am still learning about B.A.

Taking the time to use the search function in the forum is your best bet at finding the answers you crave, then start some dialogue.

As Noryega mentioned, organizing a full roster of tennis students will be demanding but also getting private students will be challenging as people usually require references or pick someone by word of mouth. I'm not sure you can go to and expect to be hired by a tennis club, especially if you don't speak Castellano. Maybe I'm wrong. As far as "working in a bar as fun", I highly doubt waiting or bartending work that will require you to work 6 days a week 9 hours per day to survive will be fun. Heed Noruega's advice and come with a contract from a company there, or bring money BTW, working without a visa in any country is illegal.

John just be aware that Jan and Feb are the summer months when the city empties and many restaurants and shops close up for a period as the Portenos go sun themselves. Best of luck in your adventure!

Also be aware that others have posted from experience that it can take about six months of hard work to build a client base teaching English that results in a "positive" cash flow. Many of them spent more time "commuting" to meet with their students than they spent actually teaching.

If you are not a certified English teacher how can you expect to get a "job" teaching at an institute?

You can read more about teaching here: http://baexpats.org/...r-tefl-teacher/

A number of years ago (when the economy was much better) there was a new member of this site who was counting on getting a job as a DJ in BA. He announced his planned move and/or arrival with great fanfare (at least on this site), but I don't think he ever found a job as a DJ and left soon after his arrival. I couldn't find any of his posts using the search engine with "DJ" as it doesn't have the minimum of three letters.

Perhaps someone else remembers his user name and can provide it. I think he actually changed his first user name (it was somewhat smarmy).

I thought his first post might have included the word arriving but I didn't find it in the results when I searched for that word.

Here are 80 threads that include the word "arriving" in the title: http://baexpats.org/...ch&fromsearch=1

PS: "Arriving" is a more appropriate word than "moving" (in your case).

Here are 399 threads with the word "moving" in the title: http://baexpats.org/...ch&fromsearch=1

Unless you are "famous in Argentina" as a DJ no one will give a sh1t about where you might have played beforehand. Your name needs to be a draw to get punters in the door, if it isn't a local is going to have the contacts and network that you don't. You're already behind the curve.

If you are a famous DJ, congratulations, however you probably wouldn't to be teaching English so that isn't the case.

In your position I would work in the US or wherever else you can, Korea or one of those horrible desert locations, harvest cash and live cheap for a year. Then come down here like Clint Eastwood, with a fistful of dollars. Pay 6 months rent up front, set some money aside for food then hit the bars and clubs. See if you can't drum up a network of contacts, play out a few places.

Basically, it ain't going to come easy. Get some money together then come down when you have the funds in place, you aren't going to be able to do much living off what you earn here. Most people I have heard of who had a good time here came with money from the country they were in previously. Anyone who struggled came down with nothing and expected to live off what htey made here, they soon found out they could afford to eat, pay rent and take public transport and nothing else.

I don't mean to be harsh, but it will drive me nuts if we have another person who comes down here with nothing, has a hard time and spends a year telling us what a dump this country is (because they cant afford to enjoy it!) then promptly disappears after venting their spleen.

Don't be that guy.

uhmmm four months ? that is about what it takes to land a position. Try a hand as a freelance model for commercials.

I think this chap's welcome was a little harsh. Just like when one asks a perfectly legit question and some smart ass tells you Google is your best friend.
Furthermore, it's depressing enough to find that we spend an inordinate amount of time in this place actually wondering whether some of us will still be visible this time tomorrow, if you get my drift.
My two cents' worth and it's been said before, is to get your feet on the ground first mate.

A number of years ago (when the economy was much better) there was a new member of this site who was counting on getting a job as a DJ in BA. He announced his planned move and/or arrival with great fanfare (at least on this site), but I don't think he ever found a job as a DJ and left soon after his arrival. I couldn't find any of his posts using the search engine with "DJ" as it doesn't have the minimum of three letters.

Perhaps someone else remembers his user name and can provide it. I think he actually changed his first user name (it was somewhat smarmy).

The search function on most forums, including this one, is not very good. Here's a trick I use to finding content on forums, if the built-in search function doesn't work. You can go to google and add "site:baexpats.org" to your query. For example, do this search:

site:baexpats.org DJ moving

That tells google to only return results that are from that domain. The trick also works for TLDs, or country suffixes such as "ar" (for Argentina), if you want to only return results from domains from that country.

Face it guys, the search function sucks. "working in buenos aires", "moving to Buenos aires" "jobs in Buenos Aires".... even when i'm looking for something specific like "coconut oil" I can't find what I need.

That being said, OP could have asked everyone what they are doing for money instead of trying to get ideas from a dry well.

Hahaha wow! Harsh start to this website, I can take it though. Taking the time to respond to my question is much appreciated as I am still learning about B.A. I did a little research online, but thought it would be nice to see some dialogue. My original question definitely should have been more detailed, so I hope this helps narrow it down a little...

I will be in B.A. for a few months starting in January and depending on how things go, I could stay a little longer if I want. Being a DJ at a night club or a bar would be my #1 choice, but I don't know anyone or what that scene is like in Buenos Aires. Teaching Tennis is what I am best at and would consider doing, but not on the top of my list (would love to play in a tennis league though if anyone wants a ringer on their team!). Working at a bar or teaching English sounds like it could be fun if that is a common route. Due to some of the posts above, it sounds as though most part-time jobs won't pay much....and I just found out it is Illegal :)

All responses are appreciated and it will be nice to connect with some of you.

Thanks,
John

Everyone aspires to be a DJ here as this is one of the biggest cities for nightlife in the world. However if you don't know anyone it will be hard to be successful as there is so much talent especially in house music which is king here. This city has some very good music schools though solely for that so maybe take some classes at Sonica and try to meet some people if you're really serious about it and like house music. Tennis I'm sure you would have to show up talk to different clubs around the city. but by the way do you have a sound cloud or mix cloud where your mixes are on?

This is a bit old, but I thought I would wade in because I am actually one of those guys who came down here with nothing (in fact I had £1000 which went straight away on getting into an apartment, leaving two months rent). I thought I would just teach English and the offers would flood in, after-all I was surely the only native English teacher in the city right. Two months in and seriously out of money, with an apartment contracted for two years I realized that this isn't a city you just come to unprepared, in fact no city is if it is not in your native country.

I realized pretty quickly that there was no revenue stream for me here, and little prospect of finding one. Luckily, I am a qualfiied writer so just started working for clients in the UK and US again and picked up a foreign revenue stream that ultimately saved me at the last and allowed me to build a life here four years on. If you do not have savings and any prospect of an income do not come here, you will not find a job, and if you do it will be something that will break your soul as the money with be shit. If you have a potential outside income source, try and do it and set it up before heading down, or save as much money as you can and hopefully have enough to live those four months without needing a job.

P.S. The search function sucks.

Back