Moving To Ba At The End Of December

You're right. If you come with money you could take the $1,200 you pay for rent in the Bronx and live in a very nice neighborhood. The difference is between NYC and Bs As is that you'll still be likely to get held up or robbed in a nice neighborhood, which would be unlikely to happen in Upper East Side of Manhattan. It's wise to to keep your expectations low and not to expect perfect when coming to Bs As because you won't find perfect, but different you will find. Keep your expectations very, very low and you'll do fine here. By the way, they have lots of yuppies here too and people also fight to work and live. We can't even afford the $60 pesos per kilos of tomatoes.

ARbound, thank you for your insight. I am aware of the ills that come along with BA- I am not expecting a utopian society. So you may know, all of the above cons come with New York City. For a fraction of what I am paying to live in a rough neighborhood in NYC, (rent per say in the South Bronx is about $1200 a month for a 1 bedroom) I could live a lot cheaper in BA at nicer location for a lot less money. I do agree with with the notion of coming to BA for a change of life, I am willing to take on something new and totally unique. NYC like many other cities is only geared for the rich and upper middle class, gentrification is ripping through our neighborhoods and the average non-yuppy/trust fund baby must fight everyday just to live to work. Again, I am not expecting perfect in regards to BA. I am expecting something different. Thank you for your concerns, I really appreciate it. I am young- nothing wrong with taking a risk... I will be fine.
Very good reply!!!You are so welcome to Argentina!!! there are a lot problems but is a generous country, everybody can study for free a lot things here.You will have a lot of fun for sure... Belgrano is a really nice town to live, more expensive than caballito, or Colegiales for example , any help drop me a line..Cheers!!!

Matiasba: the 14 million people you mention comprise the greater buenos aires metropolitan area: capital federal + el conurbano. NYC alone probably has that number. Similarities between BA and NYC: restaurants, museums, parks, theaters, lots of traffic and congestion...can't compare it with barcelona because I've never been there.

ARbound: "aggresive/bitchy manor"...how'd you reach that conclusion?...little bit too much sensitivity there.

Welcome, prepared to love some stuff, hate some stuff, miss some stuff from home, realise that some stuff from home you never needed in the first place. You'll probably learn to cook better, appreciate that not every meal needs 23 ingredients and 12 industrial processes before it hits your plate, you'll learn to love and hate public transport in the same breath. You'll be confused, amazed, furious and happy all in your first month. Just wait until you step on your first dogsh1t, or my favourite,..just wait until you step on your first broken paving stone to have half your body coated in the pool of dirty water hidden below! Ahh the joys.

In short, just go with it, you'll be grand.

PS......get your head down now and get as much of the language down as you can. Worth it, opens so many doors.

Always amazed about people that come to Latin America, to complain about the obvious, or the folks that go to Italy to bitch about the mail service, the garbage collection in Naples or the Public Transport. Why come here then!

Go back to Kalamazoo...!!

We all know what to expect if we read Tortilla Flat from Steinbeck..... jajajajajj

Back