Moving To Ba At Then End Of July!

Gillian1

Registered
Hey there,

I am moving to BA at the end of July from Dublin and I have very little spanish, should I be worried?
People have told me that english is not widely spoken!

thanks,
Gillian

not at all, you might find people speaking English in fancy places but, normal places nope! no one, but that's I find good if you want to learn Spanish.
Spanish is sort of language either you hate it or you love it there is nothing in middle...

Three weeks is not a long time but get a few Spanish classes if you can, listen to Spanish music and watch Spanish language TV (thanks to the internet, this is pretty easy), especially from Argentina. Kids programs might be the way to go, or telenovelas. You can also check out "bueno, entonces" which is a download that teaches Argentine Spanish. Remember, Argentine Spanish is very different from other parts of Latin America, but practicing a bit now will make it much easier when you get here and give you confidence.
They estimate it takes two years to learn a new language if you study (in class and at home) and speak the language almost all day. A hard feat for most newcomers.

I wouldnt be worried, not unless you are coming down here with a family and/or to carve out some kind of career.
BA is a good city to hang around for a while, kick back, party and learn a bit of spanish (although as others have said there are a few nuances with Argentine spanish).
Having said that, I wouldnt limit yourself just to Buenos Aires - plenty of other places around the continent to check out. It would be a shame to come here for a year, spend a sh*tload of savings and head home having seen only a cpl of places in such a vast continent.

Hey there,

I am moving to BA at the end of July from Dublin and I have very little spanish, should I be worried?
People have told me that english is not widely spoken!

thanks,
Gillian

Its a Spanish speaking country, generally people speak Spanish ;)

The S is going to HTF, I think this is a safer place to be when that happens. B.A. is probably to densely populated for that but it's still better than CA, the entire N.E. and most of the big cities. Not to mention Europe (consider their population density.

Back