Moving to BA from NYC - advice needed

Sleuth

Registered
I visited BA in November and have now decided to make the move from NYC to BA in May. I was wondering if anyone can give me any advice on a few things:
- when should I plan to come down to look for an apartment if I want a lease to start May 1? Anything I need to know in looking for an apartment? Any good broker recommendations? What should I expect to pay for a 2 bedroom in Palermo? Recoletta?
- are there storage facilities in BA? When I come down to look for an apartment, I'm planning to bring as much luggage as I can and leave it all there until I come back.
- how reliable is the Internet access? My business is all Internet, should I plan on buying DSL and cable commections for backup.
- does it make sense to bring all my computer equipment? (PC, LCD, etc) Does anyone have recommendations for good transformer equipment?
- how is the snowboarding in Argentina? :)

Thanks for any advice and I look forward to meeting some new people in the future!

Oh yeah, any recommendations for private health insurance?

"Sleuth" said:
- when should I plan to come down to look for an apartment if I want a lease to start May 1? Anything I need to know in looking for an apartment? Any good broker recommendations? What should I expect to pay for a 2 bedroom in Palermo? Recoletta?
Winter time is the best time to rent :) If you will rent it through a private owner it is much cheaper as through a agency. All over 600 US$ for a 2 room apartment is overkilled and overprices also in Palermo and Recoleta.

"Sleuth" said:
- how reliable is the Internet access? My business is all Internet, should I plan on buying DSL and cable commections for backup.
I use Fibertel Cable Broadband and it works very fine without any big troubles. But I know many people who have troubles with it (so best equipment/router behind is recommended) :)So Cable Broadband (FIbertel / Multicanal) as DSL (Telefonica / Telecom) is different because you each is depending of the zone where you are located. DSL is not recommended in fact of very poor service and poor of good connection time.

"Sleuth" said:
- does it make sense to bring all my computer equipment? (PC, LCD, etc) Does anyone have recommendations for good transformer equipment?
If you will bring it with you you can get troubles at the Airport and maybe you must pay toll. So it maybe cheaper if you sell it in US and buy a new one here in BsAs :) A hint (works for me) : Other choose is to write your own bill/paper that you need it for work and will bring the equipment back in a while. So write it down in Spanish like as it is from you working company and not from you personally and if any people make a problem show it. But don't forget to say you don't speed Spanish :) So you can have look that you get in without problems.
bye schef4711

I'm doing the exact same thing but I'm leaving NYC at the very end of March. I was also in BA in November. I have similar questions but I am also curious about getting a cellphone/blackberry. Is there Personal the company to sign up with?

Hey Guys-I also moved to BA from NYC in Dec. of '06. I totally agree with the idea of bringing everything you can from the US, all electronics here are at least double the price of things in the US (often triple) and significantly older, so bring EVERYTHING. You want to try to negotiate a rental deal directly w/ the owner if possible b/c if you don't have the ability to sign a 2 yr. lease and also put up a deed to a locally owned property (which is what locals all do) you fall into the parallel U$ rental market and generally pay 3 times as much for a short term lease and a furnished place. If you'd like to talk more or have specific questions please feel free to email me @ [email protected] and I can give you my NYC vonage #-Martin

You asked about storage facilities: I have heard nothing but bad stories about storage here. Some moving companies (mudzanas) offer storage, but theft is VERY common. There are no "self storage facilities" here like in the US.

I rented a temporary apartment (on line prior to my arrival) 2 years ago (one bedroom) in Palermo. It was very nice and the maid didn't steal from me. I rented it for two month and extended to six months while I shopped for an apartment to buy.My suggestion is that you rent a temporary apartment for your upcoming visit (on line) FOR AS LONG TAKES FOR YOU TO RETURN TO THE US AND COME BACK WITH THE REST OF YOUR STUFF. Make sure you can lock your stuff in the bedrooms while you are gone (especially if you have maid service) and give the maid a week off while you are gone. It will be a lot cheaper to pay the extra rent than replace your stuff.
You shouldn't have any trouble bringing a laptop through customs at the airport. The law states they must be registered, but I've never heard of that being enforced. I know an expat who SAID he always brings two or three new ones each time he returns to BA. The duty can be 50% if you deal "officially" with customs on excess...which could still be cheaper than buying new here (and you get an English keyboard). As for ISP, Fibertel is almost always reliable...only down a few times in two years and only for about 20 minutes each time. Good 110/220 transformers are available in electronic stores...which are plentiful.

Omint is a great private insurance provider with the main clinic in Alto Palermo. I've heard good things about Swiss Medical, too. They have facilities in Recoleta.

Snowboarding is great in Argentina. (I lived in Park City for 15 years).

I would suggest you rent a temp apartment in BA for the entire month or at the least, the last two weeks of April. You will pay a premium for the short term rental, but still a lot less than a hotel. It should only take a few days to a week to line up an apartment to lease from May to November (six month lease being common and easy). There will be a LOT of apartments available for those winter months! Then you could either move your stuff to your new apartment after the six month lease begins and go back to New York...or leave your stuff in the first apartment, go back to NYC and return to BA before the first of May (depending on when you need to get your stuff in NYC). I do know of an apartment in Recolata that should be available the last two weeks of April. It is safe and secure. I can also suggest a couple rental agents for the long term apartment. Send me a note for further details.

I have had 4 maids here and not one has ever robbed me . The advice I read from this member above was plainly wrong . There are excellent Argentinian people who will give you their time without any charge or favours.

I recently met an expat (DQ) who made many posts while he was here. He claimed his maid stole from him and I believe it. I have heard similar stories from others. It was Argentines who told me about theft from the mudzanas. I did not say anything about Argentine people charging for their time or asking for favors and that is completely off the subject. I have, however, been lied to by a number of real estate agents and lawyers. The real estate agents repeatedly lied about taxes and a lawyer I used lied about many things, including my rights regarding an insurance settlement . I have also seen several robberies in the streets (cell phone and purse snatching) here (San Telmo and Palermo) in the past two years and have felt sticky fingers going into my pocket on the subway. I have also heard about individuals not receiving the return of rental deposits...without valid reason. And then there was the man who took deposits from 40 different individuals for one apartment....at the same time.

Back