Moving To Ba From Texas In January!

Hummus is actually pretty easy to make, and in a few kosher markets in palermo you can buy it in jars. The Kraft and Almond Milk are a problem though... I dream of that beautiful neon orange "cheese" quite often haha.

Almond milk is really easy to make as well:

http://ohsheglows.com/2013/01/24/my-favourite-homemade-almond-milk-step-by-step-photos/

I think to make Kraft cheese you need a full on chem lab, though.

What happened to the African slave culture in Argentina. I will never forget asking a friend about that. He said they are no longer here because they sent them all to the brutal front lines of the war with Paraguay and they were wiped out on those front lines.

http://www.ibtimes.com/blackout-how-argentina-eliminated-africans-its-history-conscience-1289381

Omg did we scare away the OP with these responses? Are you still moving to BA ilovelucy55?

If you want to teach English for a bit and have an adventure, I would say Buenos Aires is your place. It won't always be smooth sailing but just bring plenty of cash - so you can live an upper middle class (Arg standards) life while you are here and you will have a great time.

How much is plenty? I've followed this post a bit as I have been planning to move to BA this year as well. My original ticket was scheduled for this month, in fact, but I decided to take almost all of my savings and pay off my student debt. Now I'm debt-free (weeee!) but my savings have taken a dive. If I head to Argentina in two or three months, I should have roughly 5k to 7k saved up. Too little, in your opinion?

I have wanted to live in Argentina since I was a teenager. Like IloveLucy55, I'm okay with some hiccups and inconveniences. I'm a single guy in my late twenties and am comfortable getting by with modest accommodations. The only thing that worries me is the availability of work and the unforeseen circumstances which may gas my savings sooner than anticipated. Essentially, I would rather not fly off to Argentina and subsequently make myself a burden to others, namely family, on account of having nothing left in my account.

It's clear by discussions like this that one oughtn't take the BA move lightly. Still, my voyage has been a long time coming. On the one hand, I remind myself to be patient and cautious, and on the other, I sense that too much caution could make me the paralytic. My Spanish is decent and would see a great improvement after getting into the linguistic rhythm again (I majored in Spanish in university and lived a year in Mexico), and I wonder if this helps me much with job prospects. Then again, as has been cited here, legal jobs require visas and visas require legal jobs and oooofff-- this does sound like something of a potential headache to maneuver.

Oh well. I'll go meditate on it over a cup of mate.

Tivlaski, you sound like the kind of guy who might make it. 7k is... depends on your standards. If you want to live a standard american middle-class life, it won't last you very long. On the other hand, if you know how to be modest and creative when necessary, it can stretch very, very far. I came here 4 months ago with less than 1k (US$). Had some tough times, of course, but made it and now I'm just fine, by my bohemian standards.

That said, you can only get legal jobs once the paperwork is done, and that takes a while. Until then, you better be either rich or willing to accept local salary in black, which is not much. Depends on your personality. If you're after money, you will suffer. If you're after fun, I can guarantee you there's no better place for that, plus no one said you can't make money as well. Your decent Spanish can open many doors. Since I came here, I'm pretty much getting used to miracles.

Arrive with 9999 usd in your pocket and have another 9999 usd in your bank for emergency funds.

Hit the ground running, as far as work is concerned.

Live on a meagre budget and in a humble abode. You would be Ok.

--

On another note - I personally dreamed about living in South America since I was a teenager. It took me almost 15 years to actually to start living in South America. In those 15 years, I spent it developing professional skills, which I could possibly use to earn good money living anywhere on planet earth. In those 15 years, I traveled as a tourist a few times to different counries in South America, to know my options and if really the dream I had was a valid one and if that is what I really wanted! I used the time to complete all my other obligations so that I actually start living here.

I would not say everyone needs so much time. But having skills to earn money, having good money to spend here with no worries, takes this to an entirely different level.

You have the whole life to live your dream. Plan its execution well.

I've been coming and going for 18 years. Moved here full time 7 years ago. I live a pretty modest life compared to my former one as a banker. But have to say I couldn't be happier! Yes I have to work. Yes I make the same in a month as I used to make in a day. But pretty much all the culture that interests me is available for free in world class venues, transport is cheap and the weather is excellent. I have time to think, write, play guitar and wander around. I eat brilliantly (I like to cook), drink well, and have never passed a miserable day. I recently married a local and frankly with a little bit of political fresh air to clear the tubes for a bit, really could never see myself going back to the UK. The country may not be for everyone, but for those it suits its the last "best place to live and love". Of course if supermarkets are your passion it might not rank highly!!!

I have time to think, write, play guitar and wander around. I eat brilliantly (I like to cook), drink well, and have never passed a miserable day.

Loved to hear that. That is really the key!

One thing about BA. It allows me to pursue all my hobbies galore. Be it cooking delicious hygenic clean food on a daily basis, be it reading a book a day, be it learning Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, be it learning different languages simultaneously, be it learning to play a Piano, be it practicing yoga and meditation etc etc

One great thing about BA is the abundance of different kind of coaches and mentors here to learn new skills from. And if one has skills such as this to offer to others in BA, its a way to make some money too.

Never a boring, miserable day in BA!

South Dakota to Buenos Aires, why not? You sound like me about 25 years ago, but you were smart and paid off those pesky student loans before coming.

You can likely teach English like so many before you. You won't get rich, but you'll learn how to get around in the city like a local. If you come with an open mind and a sense of adventure, you are bound to at least have a good time as well as learn some important life lessons.

Suerte, amigo.

Tivanski:
You're talking U$D 5k to 7k speak some Spanish and you've been wanting to come here for a while? I'd say go for it already! When you get here please contact me and I'll introduce you to my new business parner who is going to do the intermediate professional English part of the Interface Skills in English business we plan to relaunch in March.
I came in 1979 at 37 after losing my job in Miami with only my return ticket and 1k and I've been here ever since.
www.interfaceenglish.com

Back