Moving to BA in DEC. I have some Questions!

Dashb07

Registered
Hey Everyone! I currently reside in Dallas, TX. I'm 22. I will be moving to BA in DEC and I have a couple questions. Maybe you could help me out.

1. I'm a hairstylist. It shouldn't be that hard for me to find a job out there considering that BA has quite a butt load of salons. My only issue is getting a workers visa. I have absolutely no clue how to go about getting one either. How long does it usually take to get one? This is my major issue!

2. I am learning Spanish. Let me rephrase that...I am TRYING to learn Spanish. Dora the Explorer has been my home girl with the language issues. I'm wondering are there any English speaking salons, or anyone who could point me in the direction of some English speaking salons.

I will be so grateful for any answers. I need all the information I can get on these 2 questions. Thanks, peace and love!

Hey! You will love living in BA!

1. You need to get a criminal police report from your home country, then once you get here, you need to go to the Immigrations office in Retiro and apply for your Argentine criminal report. This takes 24 hours, so you will need to go back the next day. To apply for this, you need a your passport, photo copies of it and a passport photo. You then need to make an appointment to go again for the VISA. Working visa you need you work employers to fill out a form, which you will get when getting your argentine criminal report. With this, you need to go to your appointment with 2 more passport photos, your passport and a copy of every single page in your passport and around 400-800 pesos. And thats about it! I'm not going to lie.. its a ball ache!

2. There are a ton of english speaking hairdressers.. give me a couple of days. Im actually meeting an english girl who has a salon this week, and I will ask her!

Speak soon!

If I were you I'd try to get an apartment that's "apto profesional" meaning that you can work out of your home. Then network like crazy. You will get business.

Of course the local salon route works, too, but they may not be licensed to hire foreigners--are you looking for someone to sponsor you for a work visa? If so, maybe Jennifer's contacts might be able to help you inquire to local salons about that.

Good luck!

Will Argentine migraciones issue a work visa for a hair stylist?

The "criminal police report from your home country" is from the FBI and will take 9-13 weeks. Go to their website for details.

Free lance work with English speaking clients is probably the best route to go.

If I still lived in CF I'd certainly call you.

Suerte

Thanks so much to everyone who has answered so far. I greatly appreciate the information.

I figured I would have to free lance for a minute until the visa came in. I'll be putting a huge post up soon letting everyone know i'm coming & im ready to cut some beautiful hair!

Jennifer, I look forward to hearing from you!

Just be aware, similar to the U.S., applying for a "Work visa" is not a simple matter of acquiring the paperwork and applying. It's not like a driver's license. You will need a job contract from a company here and a sponsor (and I am pretty sure like in the U.S.) they have to show that you have unique skills that cannot be found in the local employees (and this is more than just "but I am me, and I do things my way). I would think something along the lines of, "Hey I have been the top hairstylist for Givenchy's every fashion show in PAris, Milan, etc....) or something like this.

I suggest you check out the NYC Consulate site: http://www.congenargentinany.com/home_usa.html

Some good info to get you started. I thinks the best advice (suggested above) is come down and try and freelance (maybe line up some clients through this website ahead of time) and then see if you like it and explore your visa options afterward.

Stay away from migraciones. Bring your birth certificate and FBI record with the Hague Apostille. You might need them later.
Regards

Hi! I just arrived here to BA and I am looking for a hairdresser that understands english enough to know what I want. I don't want to pay tourist or expat prices. Could you recommend a few stylists that I could contact?
Many thanks in advance!

JenniferHeyes said:
Hey! You will love living in BA!

1. You need to get a criminal police report from your home country, then once you get here, you need to go to the Immigrations office in Retiro and apply for your Argentine criminal report. This takes 24 hours, so you will need to go back the next day. To apply for this, you need a your passport, photo copies of it and a passport photo. You then need to make an appointment to go again for the VISA. Working visa you need you work employers to fill out a form, which you will get when getting your argentine criminal report. With this, you need to go to your appointment with 2 more passport photos, your passport and a copy of every single page in your passport and around 400-800 pesos. And thats about it! I'm not going to lie.. its a ball ache!

2. There are a ton of english speaking hairdressers.. give me a couple of days. Im actually meeting an english girl who has a salon this week, and I will ask her!

Speak soon!

Back