Moving To Ba In February With The Family... From Nyc

LIVE54

Registered
Hey All,

I will be relocating to BA with my wife and daughter (under a year old) in February or March 2014 and we are looking for some opinions on where to settle down in BA for the next few years. We will be put up in corporate housing for a few months in Palermo, so we will have a chance to check out that area, but we also want to explore the northern suburbs. My office is located about 30 minutes north of downtown, so we have some options as to where we want to live without having an insane commute.

Having lived in midtown Manhattan for the past 10 years we are exploring the idea of moving on from the apartment dwelling city life and maybe looking for a house in the burbs to raise our daughter. I have travelled to BA a ton over the past few years so I am familiar with the Palermo/Recoleta/Puerto Madero areas, but I wanted to get some real life opinions on the outer suburbs that I haven't really visited.

My main priority is obviously security, I understand the fact that houses (especially outside gated communities) pose a higher risk than a high rise downtown, so I'm looking for some insight as to what areas are considered safer. Cleary Nordelta was the first place that popped up on my radar, so if any of you live out there I would love to chat with you. Outside of that, do any of you live in other gated communities in Tigre or houses in the La Lucila/Acassuso/San Isidro area? Can anyone recommend other areas/gated communities that we should consider checking out?

I've scoured most of the forum posts and found a ton of helpful information, so thanks for that, and hopefully I get to meet a few you of you after we get settled.

-Tim

Bump, anyone have any ideas... Thanks to those for PM info!

Where is your office located? May help with barrio suggestions.

Hi, we live in ND area and would not change it for anything else. You can check the barrios of complejo Villa Nueva. It's only houses and it's next door to ND, but for less $$$. Love the area. Pm me if you need more info. Good luck

Hi, we live in ND area and would not change it for anything else. You can check the barrios of complejo Villa Nueva. It's only houses and it's next door to ND, but for less $$$. Love the area. Pm me if you need more info. Good luck

I dont want to criminalise poverty, but the northern suburbs are not that safe, since you have La Cava in San Isidro, one of the biggest and dangerous villas of Buenos Aires. I dont consider that area safe, neither Tigre and the enormous quantity of gated communities. IMHO, Pilar or Escobar are much safer, or even the city, a nice house in Nuñez, Villa Urquiza, Villa Ortuzar, etc, plus you dont need a car.

Office is right off PanAmericana, near the Unicenter Mall, but on the other side of the highway... So that's why we're looking in La Lucila as well, it's basically a straight shot to the office from there, with the obvious headache of crossing the highway.

Hey there!

We are heading down in less than two weeks and have a house in San Isidro. We love it there. Having been in NYC and the surrounding areas (brookyln) a lot I must say that I loved the feel of the San Isidro area. In a very strange and I mean STRANGE way it reminded me of Williamsburg or a one of the boroughs....haha, its a far stretch but it had a neighborhood quaintness....restaurants, shops....but not like being directly in Manhattan. But definitely not like a typical suburb. Things are all within walking distance unlike going more north.

My husband and I have two little kids and this area definitely won out for us. I guess everyone has their opinions on what they like or want in an area but this location felt right based on everything we wanted. We drove and walked all over, visited schools, ate at the restaurants (not as good as nyc but still most were pretty good ;) and decided the location was convenient enough to what we needed, close enough to the city, but far enough away to feel cozy....Also, as far as safety...no, I haven't been everywhere but I will say that I felt safe the entire time. Even when driving through areas some would say weren't so nice. I mean, its definitely not America and I think some people are shocked by this...

Feel free to PM any time with questions!

Could you epound on la Cava? Where is it in location to downtown San Isidro? As we are in Acassuso. Are all areas in this town affected by this villa? Does this villa cause more problems than other outlying villas in the city? Is San Isidro known for having violent crimes? Break ins? Simply stating an area is a concern without explaining what occurs is vague. Any information would be great concerning this subject. I've have also scoured most of the forum posts and I have not found a ton of information concerning this, specifically La Cava.

Obviously I have concerns due to our upcoming move ;) Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Back