Moving To Ba In Jan

el australiano

Registered
Hi All,
I plan to fly into Mendoza in the beginning of Jan and then slowly make my way to BA, finally renting an apartment and studying Spanish and tango with my partner.

This forum has been priceless with advice on bus companies, moving money and the lifestyle to expect in BA.

I would like to throw a few questions into the field, love hearing other's travel stories and tips.

Any recommendations on where to stop between Mendoza and BA?

I'm happy to spend my days learning spanish and tango. Can anyone recommend any schools?

Will also look at renting an apartment. I have searched many a website but do plan to chat to people once I arrive to get a feeling for the market. Any recommendations on suburbs to live? Palmero has been the obvious place but I am keen to explore and my key need is to live in an interesting (and safe) neighbourhood, so am happy to live there or search further afield.

Well, thanks in advance everyone. This forum is a wealth of information and I hope to contribute to it in the future!!!

Ivan

Hi Ivan,
I assume you're asking about barrios when you say suburbs... you don't really want to move to the suburbs, do you? Palermo is part of the city. It all depends on your preferences. Most ex-pats live in Palermo, which would not be my choice. I much prefer San Telmo, Boedo, Almagro, Monserrat. A lot depends on if you're used to living in a big, gritty city or not. You will hear a lot of different opinions about safety of the various barrios... but don't write anything off until you've judged for yourself.

My Spanish teacher is great, and unfortunately has more students than she can accommodate.

But I can recommend a great tango teacher, who is also a friend. To really learn tango, you need to focus on posture, embrace, and connection with your partner. Too many teachers (and basically all the group classes) just teach figures, which is what most tourists demand. But just imitating steps is missing everything about the dance. Anyway, here is Alejandro's website:
www.alejandropuerta.com

Sorry I can't help about Mendoza. Good luck with your move!

I live in Almagro and it seems that its pretty safe because its a relatively "poorer" neighborhood and isn't overrun by expats. But if you're not, for whatever reason, into jumping around dogsh*t when you go out walking or street lights not working or drunk people running up and down your street or the building across from yours being a drug factory or supply place of some sort and virtually no police presence (I don't know why you wouldn't be into this stuff!!!!) then I'd stick with a nicer neighborhood like Palermo and if you're loaded then Puerto Madero (beware though, "a steaming pile of dogsh*t follows you wherever you go" seems to be the motto of this city so you won't avoid that anywhere).

Oh and I would avoid being anywhere around line A of the subway since its going to be shutdown for 60 days starting January. That is only if you intend to use the subway to get around.

As for classes in Spanish, couldn't tell you where to go but avoid UBA like the plague!

I welcome to argentina, you will have a great time! I recommend visiting Merlo on your journey from Mendoza to BA, its a simply beautiful little town with stunning scenery, I stayed a the Altos del Sol apartments and they were terrific, you will enjoy, San Luis is to be avoided as its simply awful and I recommend route 8 not 7 if your driving..... Villa Mercedes is good for an overnight stop. As far as living in BA, we chose Caballito, its not touristy, has a great atmosphere and a friendly community spirit. I love living in little horse, access to Palermo for nightlife is simple in a taxi and takes 20mins, access to city centre is great and it feels relatively safe although a need for vigilance is ever present wherever you are..... Spanish lessons I recommend Veronica Alvarez I can provide u with her details, she is excellent. And quality of teaching is superb, good luck and enjoy....

Hi Australiano, my name is German I have two apartments in Buenos Aires that I rent. One is located in the neighborhood of Palermo Viejo and another in the neighborhood of Recoleta.
The Recoleta apartament is available now and other in Palermo Viejo from February.
Check out this link to the Recoleta apartment.
Please contact me for more information or to discuss the price of rent.
http://baexpats.org/classifieds/item/297-recoleta-studio-for-rent-by-owner-all-included/
Regards
German

Definitely stop in cordoba on the way back through, you could visit the city and the surrounding countryside is pretty nice, stop off in geneal villa belgrano and try some of the local german style beers and stay in a cabin!

Happy travelling.

I'll take a wild guess and say you're Australian?! If you could bring me some Vegemite you will have a new friend upon arrival in BA :)

Yes I am Australian and plan to bring an ample supply of Vegemite with me. Mellowshipslinky, how long have you been away? How long have the cravings set in??

It is wonderful to get such a response. Suburbs is such an overloaded term. Yes I do want to be in the city, where the action is but not necessarily in a tourist ghetto.

Is Palermo like Surry Hills in Sydney (for those familiar)?

The plan is to hostel it while I get a feeling for the place and then to look for what accommodation I can get for my peso/dollar.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll find my way around BA, just looking forward to the adventure!!!

I'm happy to spend my days learning spanish and tango. Can anyone recommend any schools?

I have been dancing tango intensively since mid-August and this is the recommendation I would give: dance often and take private classes from teachers you like. Do not focus on learning steps, but on improving your posture/musicality/technique.

The private classes will correct your technique quicker and more in detail than group classes and the dancing will provide you with practice.

Which schools and teachers you like is something you have to discover for yourself.

I can tell you which schools and teachers I like, but such recommendations are always biased, since I have not tried out everyone nor may my preferences be the same as yours.

However, these are private teachers I like:
Alejandro Gee and assistant, website: http://tangoalejandrogee.com/contact/
Dante Sanchez and Ines Muzzopappa, website: http://inesmuzzopappa-contacto.blogspot.com/ (they will be on tour until March)

These are group classes I like:
Estudio la Esquina, website: http://estudiolaesquina.blogspot.com/ (though classes have been dominated by guys lately)
La Academia, website: http://www.laacademiatango.com/content/clases

there are tango free lessons in pilar organised by the municipalidad, kind of like a council. Pilar is a town about 50km away from ba city. If you are itnerested I can give you more info. I'm in britain right now but I will be back in argie in feb and will probably take some tango free lessons with my wife too.

Back