Moving to BA in January... Help with visa & apartment (and any other useful knowledge)

Lamana

Registered
Saludos,
I am 22, a recent undergraduate from NYC, but born and raised in Puerto Rico. In January I am making my big move to Buenos Aires--and I couldn't be more excited!!

I am interested in finding a 1 bedroom apartment or studio for less that $950 (US) and preferably in Belgrano or Palermo starting February. My plan is to stay in Argentina for at least a year.

I will be taking seminars at night at La Escuela Superior de Creativos Publicitarios, and am getting lined up for a daytime job to earn some cash.

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with what the best way to find an apartment.

Also, I was wondering what the deal is with the visa. Will I need to get a student visa?

Help a sister out!!!

Hi there,

I was wondering, would you be interested in a shared apartment? We have a spare furnished room in our three bed room apartment in Belgrano, let me know if you do and I can give you more info, send pictures. Best of luck! Julieta

You should contact your nearest Argentine consulate and find out the requirements for a student visa ASAP. Otherwise, you will be on a 90-day tourist visa which is renewable last time I checked. See the recent thread on the new payment plan for the entry fee for certain passport holders starting in December.I have had good luck using Craigslist in finding housing. It's best not to rent anything before you actually see it though. Stay in a temporary place first and shop around. There are many rentals available at your price range.

hey sista:) regard to renting an apartment, i rent a 1 bedroom apartment in palermo soho out for 900usd...it includes all expenses and comes with cable, WIFI, home phone etc! I'm Canadian and have been living here for 6 years, my husband is argy and is a lawyer and does all the contracts so theres no fees!
in any case,try to rent an apartment through owners because "imobilirarias", add commission to the total price!
thanks and good luck:)

Hey there Lamana, welcome on board.

Not sure if you are aware but there is a two tiered rental market here, being short term and long term rentals. The main differences being that long term rentals usually are with a contract for 2 years which requires deposit, commissions to inmobiliarias and usually a garantia (backed by property in Buenos Aires). Long terms also usually come unfurnished. Usually a bit cheaper too.

The temporary (short term rentals) will come furnished and will require a deposit also. Imagine you fit in to this boat. Here is a recent thread which talks about sources for temporary rentals
http://baexpats.org/...porary-rentals/

Like others have said, for that price you should find something pretty nice. Given your age and the fact your probably keen on going out a bit, I would recommend something in Palermo (probs Soho) or perhaps Las Cañitas. Just my 2c. I am 26 and live down in Palermo Chico and if I wasnt where I am I would be in one of those 2 zonas.

I would try and organise the student visa before you come, as some1 else said get in touch with the Argentina consulate in US. Dealing with migraciones is a hassle down here and probs more of a pain in the arse than doing it before hand.

What did you graduate in? Id check out the jobs section of the forum or perhaps post an ad, you could get lucky, particularly given it sounds like you speak both languages at the native level ;)

Wow! Thanks for all the responses!

I will call the consulate today to see what I may need to get sorted regarding the visa... I know that when I went a year ago, I paid $100 for a travel visa that lasts 10 years.

Richard mentioned Craigslist and after browsing I feel a lot more confident that I won't have a lot of trouble finding somewhere to live.

Julieta80: I'm still trying to figure out how this site works, but personal message me... I was definitely trying to find a place for myself, but won't discard any options--as it would also be nice to live with/meet new people.

Trennod: Yes, luckily I am fluent in both languages--I'm a native Spanish speaker but went to American schools my whole life. I graduated with a major in communications with minors in visual arts and business. Palermo is the other place I am considering livening in. The things is, here are the two addresses the school I'd be going to gives:
Vuelta de Obligado 1947 9°D
(C1428ADC)
Buenos Aires - Argentina

Ciudad de la Paz 1937 (C1428CPE)
Buenos Aires - Argentina

I have heard that the public transportation isn't great--that the trains are always packed, and I would love to be able to walk, maybe bike to class.

Could you guys fill me in on what the situation is with public transportation? If I were to live in Palermo, how difficult would the commute to school be?

Can't thank you guys enough!!

Wow! Thanks for all the responses!

I will call the consulate today to see what I may need to get sorted regarding the visa... I know that when I went a year ago, I paid $100 for a travel visa that lasts 10 years.

Richard mentioned Craigslist and after browsing I feel a lot more confident that I won't have a lot of trouble finding somewhere to live.

Julieta80: I'm still trying to figure out how this site works, but personal message me... I was definitely trying to find a place for myself, but won't discard any options--as it would also be nice to live with/meet new people.

Trennod: Yes, luckily I am fluent in both languages--I'm a native Spanish speaker but went to American schools my whole life. I graduated with a major in communications with minors in visual arts and business. Palermo is the other place I am considering livening in. The things is, here are the two addresses the school I'd be going to gives:
Vuelta de Obligado 1947 9°D
(C1428ADC)
Buenos Aires - Argentina

Ciudad de la Paz 1937 (C1428CPE)
Buenos Aires - Argentina

I have heard that the public transportation isn't great--that the trains are always packed, and I would love to be able to walk, maybe bike to class.

Could you guys fill me in on what the situation is with public transportation? If I were to live in Palermo, how difficult would the commute to school be?

Can't thank you guys enough!!

The language is obviously going to be a massive help, youll just need to brush up on your lunfardo ;)

To be honest I have mixed opinions about public transport. All public transport is run down but I find the accessibility of the buses especially to be really good . In peak hours (and outside) the subte is packed and plenty of the buses are too. If possible, just avoid those hours. The subte has been pretty unreliable this year (more so than usual) due to ongoing standoff between the Buenos Aires city government and the National govt and there was an almost 10 day strike a cpl of months back. Fingers crossed it will be okay when u get here.

This site below is a good one to use, its a travel planner from the city government. You can just punch in where you are where you want to go and ya esta it will tell you how to get there.

http://mapa.buenosaires.gob.ar/

I did a quick search on your first place and from Palermo (Linea D of subte that runs along one of the main avenues, Avenida Santa Fe) it will get you there in about 15 mins (given its a smooth ride).

Perhaps if you looking to get an apartment in Palermo, try to get within a few blocks of Sta Fe, will definitely make getting on the subte easier.

Its probs a fair walk from there, but could be done. Biking might be a little dodgy, the drivers here are terrible and they dont give way to any1 on foot or bike. Anyhoo u can scope that out when u get down.

If you are going to use the buses, to get the cheaper fares grab a SUBE card when you get here, you can get it with your passport. Usual bus fares are 1.20 (ie about US 25c) and the subte is $2.50 (although likely to increase next year).

Back