Moving To Ba In June

Doug

Registered
I am a finance major graduating from school in Denver in a few weeks and have accepted a job that is taking me to BA. I am obviously quite nervous and excited. I'm wondering if there are any others doing what I am doing and if they would like to reach out! I would love to develop a network before I get down there. Any advice anyone can provide for me as I make the move I would greatly appreciate.

Doug

Where in Argentina are you planning on coming to? Although I'll bet it's a safe bet it's going to be Buenos Aires...

Study Spanish....and start learning right now if you don't.....also you need to save a good amount of money as well before you come down.....

A good way to build a social network is by taking classes in subjects that interest you. You probably should take Spanish lessons, but don't worry if you don't speak much Spanish, you will still be able to get by without much more than the basics at first.

In addition to working on your Spanish and bringing as much hard cash as you can, check out relevant topics on this forum to help you decide issues like where you want to live (in which CABA neighborhood or in the suburbs, often expats are in the northern ones) and don't be afraid to ask questions if you don't find a recent answer...things change fast in Argentina!
Also, bring food that you love from home.

Here are "4" essentials to everything about argentina living.. You'd do well to learn about them and "like" them!

1.) Copious amounts of asado

ericoldtime-1748143-albums-my-kentucky-family-pic122636-asado.jpg

2.) Copious amounts of "Salamin, Longaniza" washed down with "Mate"

ericoldtime-1748143-albums-my-kentucky-family-pic122637-mate.jpg

3.) Fernet Branca con Coca ( never have an asado without it!!!

ericoldtime-1748143-albums-my-kentucky-family-pic122638-yum.jpg

4.) Dulce de Leche......with everything ( unless it's ham and cheese

ericoldtime-1748143-albums-my-kentucky-family-pic122639-leche2.jpg

Become aquainted with these and you will fit right in!!

When you say they are "taking you to BA" is this a US company with operations in Argentina, or a local Argentine company? If its a US company I assume before you accepted said job you made sure you would:

1. Be paid in USD, hopefully with a local stipend in Pesos as well (or paying for your housing), and that things get adjusted properly for inflation of 40% annually
2. That the company would handle all the costs and headaches of VISA/immigration issues as you legally cannot work here on a tourist VISA. You can arrive on a tourist VISA and start working, but you need to get your paperwork and temp residency sorted out within 90 days...
3. That you know what paperwork you need for the above (birth certs, FBI background check, all apostilled etc..)
4. That you negotiated to be able to move your furniture and other items, or that the company will provide a relocation $ amount for you to purchase stuff here (which is more expensive than in the U.S, and lower quality) I would ask for the money, getting stuff shipped here is a whole other headache best avoided
5. That the company will provide someone to help with housing search and costs, and act as a guarantor.
6. That the company will pay or provide someone to handle your US and Arg tax returns, as they are complicated.
7. That you have enough cash on hand in $100 USD bills to get through a few months. You can reload in Uruguay as needed, or negotiate for a trip home once a year that your company pays for.
8. That the company will provide and cover cost for health insurance, both here in Arg and in the US.

I see lots of people come down here to work at a subsidiary of their US company, and they fail to negotiate all of this stuff prior to arriving in BA...once you are here, you cant go back and ask for more, so make sure you ask now. There are lots of things here that are more complicated than the US, and not speaking Spanish increases the complexity 10 fold.

This point is really important:

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]5. That the company will provide someone to help with housing search and costs, and act as a guarantor.[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Also be wary of "Realtors" in Argentina, called "Martilleros Publicos" they have a reputation here akin to what we apply to "Lawyers and car dealers" in the states....I haven't dealt with one yet that wasn't shady.......most are "vivos"[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]More than likely a friend will suffice to sign for you as a "guarantor" <---co-signer[/background]

Back