Moving to BA in October 2010

Matt123

Registered
I know this has already been discussed a million times before on this forum, but I really need some more accurate, up-to-date advice on this issue...

I'm currently living in the UK and I'm in the process of selling my house (in the UK). As soon as it is sold I'm planning on moving to BA to live with my long-term girlfriend (she is Argentinian and is currently living in BA).

We are planning on getting married towards the end of the year (all going well) and will hopefully be buying a house there to live in.

As I will have £ (UK pounds) in a UK bank account (from the sale of my house), what is the best way for me to get the money over to Argentina to buy a property?

Also....Regarding the visa.....What is the best thing to do??
Am I best entering the country on a tourist visa, getting married and then applying for a residence permit, or is there a better way of doing it?

Any advice greatly received.

There's information about marriage in Argentina, visas etc and lots, lots more on the website of the Argentine Embassy in London. Getting Married here... http://www.argentine-embassy-uk.org/version%20ingles/information/marriage.html and obtaining indefinite residence here... http://www.argentine-embassy-uk.org/version ingles/information/indefinitevisa.html Note that while it is normal to apply for the latter from your home country it is possible to do so from Argentina. Note too that you will need lots of legalised bits of paper and it is easier for you to organise these from within the UK

Discussed a lot in the woman's section, but remember that all Argentineans turn into different creatures when they return home, a kind of a widespread syndrome. There are a 1000 and one reasons for this, so I will not discuass. Hopefully all continues to go well, but assume nothing, and do not make huge financial commitments until you are sure all will continue to go well. Just trying to be helpful, probably a little overcautious.

¡Suerte amigo!

God, it sounds like many of you have had bad experiences with break ups!! I haven't decided this on a whim, we've been together a long time, it's not a holiday romance or anything!

Can you give me some examples of where you have been screwed over by your Argentine partner?

Cheers!

" I haven't decided this on a whim, we've been together a long time, it's not a holiday romance or anything!"

Gawd, i wish I had a dollar for every time I heard this. ;)

You are right, Our concern is probably misplaced. But change changes, that is one lesson of life we all often fail to learn.

Go for it. Love is never a mistake.

Hey Matt! Congratulations on your move!

Shoot me an email and I'll give you some financial options...its a bit cumbersome, but there are ways! :) I am from the US (San Francisco) and just moved here myself a few months ago. I've been working in real estate for over 14 years and never realized how easy the process is in the states comparatively!! Happy to help you out when you're ready and offer some tips now.

Jaime Jensen
My Place Real Estate
Buenos Aires, Argentina
office: 5411.4816.6256
mobile: 11.3885.9270
usa: 415.992.8060
www.jaimejensen.com
www.myplacerealestate.com
DRE #1301496

My advice is STAY THERE!!!, but if you are decided, DO NOT BRING CASH, or you will last as long as a loose dog on a busy freeway.
Good luck Henry

Back