Moving to BA next year- need some practical tips!

Thanks for the responses guys- for the support and "advice". I have to qualify my above introduction by saying that for 6 months of the one year I lived in BA I was living with my Argentine boyfriend and family- so I know what "real life" is like there for locals, how horrible the inflation is, and could probably get rental rates at native prices. While I agree that it is easier to find jobs in the software/IT field in Argentina right now, and know that competition is crazy, I have also completed field research with a microfinance institution in Jujuy and am developing professional contacts in Argentina. I am prepared to suffer the miserable salary that someone in that sector would make, and know that I won't be able to live my student lifestyle with American $$ like I did before. I guess my pressing question would be does anyone have a checklist they've created of documents to gather and tramites to complete in order to get 1) residency 2) work visa, 3) DNI?
Thanks,
Alyssa

$5,000.00 pesos a month? Wow! That's OVER US$1200.00. What's the minimum wage in BA? The portero in my Recoleta building makes $6,000 a month, plus benefits and gets a free apartmento. There are fewer people on this planet who do less to earn this much money.

AHansen, there's a ton of information on this website about getting residency, the work visa and the DNI. But you need a job before you can start the process unless you're able to qualify for one of the residency categories on your own (rentista, for example, by showing a passive income of $2,000 usd/mo). You will need an official apostilled issue of both your birth certificate from your state of birth and an FBI report--but don't get the FBI report too early or it won't work for you, and don't order it too late because it takes ~4 months to get a copy. As I said there is a ton of info on the site already, you just need to search for it and sift through threads. best of luck!

fred mertz said:
$5,000.00 pesos a month? Wow! That's OVER US$1200.00. What's the minimum wage in BA? The portero in my Recoleta building makes $6,000 a month, plus benefits and gets a free apartmento. There are fewer people on this planet who do less to earn this much money.
Free wifi too?

I need to find myself a portero job! ;)

AHansen said:
Thanks for the responses guys- for the support and "advice". I have to qualify my above introduction by saying that for 6 months of the one year I lived in BA I was living with my Argentine boyfriend and family- so I know what "real life" is like there for locals, how horrible the inflation is, and could probably get rental rates at native prices. While I agree that it is easier to find jobs in the software/IT field in Argentina right now, and know that competition is crazy, I have also completed field research with a microfinance institution in Jujuy and am developing professional contacts in Argentina. I am prepared to suffer the miserable salary that someone in that sector would make, and know that I won't be able to live my student lifestyle with American $$ like I did before. I guess my pressing question would be does anyone have a checklist they've created of documents to gather and tramites to complete in order to get 1) residency 2) work visa, 3) DNI?
Thanks,
Alyssa

This thread might be useful: Work Visa (copy and paste in search).

This post, too:

Lala said:
In all honesty, it´s really not very easy to get a work visa here. What I did was arrive in BA, and apply to every position I could find. I wasn´t picky, and had a few versions of my resume that highlighted different skill sets according to what the position required. I was also already fluent in Spanish before I arrived. I really think luck is a huge part of it. You also have to do virtually everything yourself - know what you need, talk your employer into investing in you as a foreigner, etc. because alot of companies see expats as flight risks, especially if they are not here for family or a relationship, and it is really expensive and a process for them to register with migraciones, so they are reluctant to go through all that only to have the employee decide that Argentina, or the job, is not right for them. On top of that, they would have to pay high taxes on your behalf plus provide you with medical insurance. Since it´s pretty easy for them to just hire you and pay you under the table, so they tend to prefer that.

If you are "moving" here for the long run why not apply for citizenship? The date of you first entry into Argentina (even as a student) may have already started the clock on the two year "residency" requirement.

Xeneizes said:
I am leaving for Buenos Aires in 2 days to take a job in business consulting specializing in market intelligence. Myself and a few other Americans who recently graduated from good schools in the US are going. If you are interested PM me and maybe I can send your resume to my employer.

I am also the student the above is referring to making 5000 pesos/month, haha. I i'll be alright, but it's a far cry for the salary i was set to make in the US

I am very interested in knowing what a "job in business consulting specializing in market intelligence" means. What business experience makes you qualified to provide any level of consultation...and to whom?

Please update this thread as soon after your arrival as possible.

steveinbsas said:
I am very interested in knowing what a "job in business consulting specializing in market intelligence" means. What business experience makes you qualified to provide any level of consultation...and to whom?

Please update this thread as soon after your arrival as possible.

I'm taking an entry level position at a firm that does this. You all have to start somewhere. I'd rather not talk at length about my personal life on this forum other than that.

And I arrived in Buenos Aires tonight.

Welcome! I can't imagine you'll do anything but love the experience. Many of us will be watching to find out how the job and lifestyle work for a young expat. Best of luck!

jb5 said:
Welcome! I can't imagine you'll do anything but love the experience. Many of us will be watching to find out how the job and lifestyle work for a young expat. Best of luck!

Thanks!. I really appreciate all of the great advice and support on this site. Once I get settled I'll definitely look into these expat meetups you guys have. The poker night one caught my eye in particular!

Back