Moving to BA - San Telmo

Vyvaus

Registered
Hi All,
Im 24 year old Australian male and I am going to to be living in Buenos Aires for a while. Ill arrive mid-march and my first stop is to study Spanish (I already know a bit) at a school in San Telmo. Because of this I am also looking to live in that area. Does anyone know what it is like? Good atmosphere? Cheap ? Expensive ? Safe ?

Any information would be greatly appreciated! Adios!

Vyv

Hey there, I live in San Telmo. It is cheap, and I think it is safe even though everyone says otherwise. I walk around here at all hours of the day, night, early morning ;O) and have never had an issue. But I am not a real scared-of-everything person anyway so...
The only complaint I have about the area is the garbage problem. It seems to be worse in this 'hood than in others...? I haven't seen as much garbage in other areas of the city.
There are a few supermercados in the area for groceries, though I think that is one feature that is lacking.
But you can stop by daily at the many verdurarias and little shops for your groceries.
For eating out there is not too much diversity in styles of food, though there are lots of restaurants.
To get something other than the 4 P's (LOL pizza, pasta, peruano & parilla) you will nee to venture out a bit.
Overall I enjoy it here, not yuppie or anything, some tourists esp on Sunday with the Feria.
There are many fun and unpretentious bars and boliches around. It is a lively area for that. A different feel than the more sanitized and upscale Palermo. People are more dressed down when they go out, like it is their living room since perhaps they live in the neighborhood. I like Palermo too, so I suppose it depends on what you are looking for.
Suerte!

*eta: I arrived here at the beginning of the 'national vacations' here hahaha and leave 1 March. So when you arrive I think the area will be more busy and lively. A lot of restos/bars/shops were closed when I arrived and are just now opening up. Perhaps I will have a different impression of San Telmo as the end of vacaciones comes closer. I will come back to BsAs though at the end of 2011 and would not hesitate to come back to San Telmo.

Hi Muppditt,
Thanks for the detailed response! Much appreciated. Im sure I can find a bar or three in the area for a few beers :) Would it be safe to assume there is gym in San Telmo? What the weather like in BA during March Apil May? When does the Argentine football season start?

I am going to study at acedamia buenos aires in San Telmo, I have not paid yet, but does anyone know what it is like ? Personal experiences?

Once again any info would be great!
Vyv

Muppdit gave a pretty accurate description of San Telmo. Nice barrio with a bit of a garbage problem. I have always felt safe walking around here at any time of the day, and this is coming from a young female. so aside from the obvious big city precautions I dont think there is much to worry about there.

As for the grocery situation...the grocery stores are not the best in almost all of buenos aires, but that is where the verdulerias kick in. The mercado san telmo is a big building in the middle of san telmo that is know for its antiques fair, but all week long it functions as a bit of a food market, with cheese stands, a small spice shop, a few butchers, a flower lady (lovely), and several verduleros who have some of the best veggies I have found at a decent price :) There are a few health food stores in San Telmo as well.

There are 2 gyms that I know of here in San Telmo: Bayres and City Gym. I have a friend who stands by city gym, but I dont know much else aside from that. If you are a runner, San Telmo is also quite close to Puerto Madero, where you can find the ecological reserve and some running paths. Another fun alternative is joining the rowing club down on the river in Puerto Madero :)

Cheers and Happy Trails!
Casandra

I lived in San Telmo for three years and never had any serious problems with crime. Watch for snatch and grab, but that applies no matter where you live in Buenos Aires.

The grocery stores stink in San Telmo however.

For a beer(s), nice folks, good food, good music and a pool table, head to Gibralter-corner of Estados Unidos and Peru. For my money the best bar/resto in Capital.

muppditt said:
To get something other than the 4 P's (LOL pizza, pasta, peruano & parilla) you will nee to venture out a bit.
Where is the Peruvian spot in San Telmo and how is it?

I suggest you to make a reservation at a very good hostel for your first days, Hostel El Sol, at Avenida Lima 1100, almost Avenida San Juan. I know the owners, we have common friends, and the hostel has a very good rating in most websites about hostels.

I had a one-month 'abono' at City Gym, it was just fine. I wasn't using the weights but rather the bicycles. Good price, relaxed staff. Go during off hours though or you will wait a while since they only have like 4 treadmills, one bike (upstairs) and one of those elliptical things.
Downstairs though they have the room for those spinning classes, full of bikes. So go when there is not a spinning class and you will have tons of bikes.

BUT I am going to join (today!) the down home municipal gym in San Telmo LOL. It is really big, pools, normal gym equipment, basketball courts, OMG artistic rollerskating class!!! That is the main reason I am going. And no annoying music!!! I already visited the place and it is rad. I feel like it is a place where, I dunno, The Jeffersons would work out :OP.
Here is the link to that gym:
http://www.suterh.org.ar/index.php/deportes/suterh-venezuela

Hi All,
Thanks heaps for all the advise! It good to know even though I am travelling to the other side of the world on my own there are friendly people who can help!
Thanks for all the info Casyolsn, Johhny, Roxana, Muppditt! Im sure ill fit in fine, I dont know about a flower shop though Casyolsn, not really into flowers but thanks :p :)

Does anyone have any specific info about academia buenos aires as a place to study? Im keen to go out and have fun too, I want to see lots of BA, not just study but fun too.

Cheers everyone,
Vyv

Back