Moving to Bs As from UK with 1yr old...help!

smh

Registered
Hi ladies (and gents),
I'm relocating to Bs As with my husband and daughter in September and am looking for tips on where to live, child-friendly areas, baby/toddler groups etc! We're currently apartment-hunting (mainly via Craig's list and a friend) in Palermo. I'm really excited - but my "to-do list" is getting ridiculously long.
Does anyone have any tips to pass on?
Thanks,
Sian

Hi Howard,
I'm looking for tips on best areas to live if you have kids, whether there are toddler groups etc, where we should look for apartments to rent (other than craig's list) and anything else people think we should bear in mind when we move over...
S

Palermo and Belgrano are good bets. How long are you going to be staying for, and are you coming with work? If you're going to be here for a few years, and have a work contract I'd recommend looking at a long term rent. Its cheaper, and whilst you'll most likely need to buy your own furniture you can make a place your own. You'll need your employer to act as guarantor, but its a more stable way to rent (IMO).

Main tip - bring as much with you as you possibly can. Bring extra suitcases! If you have residency arranged, considering shipping some of your belongings. Buenos Aires is an expensive and sometimes frustrating place to buy things.

Hey my name is Roland. I am German. I live here in Buenos Aires for another 2 months and I also move every month. I don`t have a toddler, kids or so...but my friends here work in real estate.
Depending on what you want to do here, where you need to go to work and what environment you are looking for, we have access to listings and can give answers to your questions.

There are different areas with different aspects.
Security, more foreigners, only Argentinians, nice and wealthy places, cheaper places..

If you want me to help here, let me know! :eek:)
[email protected]

Roland MJ :eek:)

(right now I am working on a survival-guide for people visiting Buenos Aires...stay tuned!)

I would go ahead and leave the 1 year old in the UK, but other than that, come on down.

PS- Make sure you leave the kid with someone you're pretty sure will still be living in the same place so you can see it when you go back to buy more Tea & Marmite.

Hi Sian,

I'm Austrian, and I have a 14-months old daughter here in Buenos Aires! There is a really nice international toddler group here, and they meet regularly in parks in the Palermo area. Email me when you get here and I'll add you to their mailing list.
I'd say Palermo is a very nice place to live, because it's quite international and you can walk everywhere, -plus you can find most things you can find in Europe. They also have things like Gymboree here (in Palermo Viejo), and people are very kid/baby-friendly. The only things I've found harder than in Europe is that it's not as easy to raise your kid healthy or "green" here. Everything's plastic, so many things still contain BPA, cleaning products and laundry detergents are still absolutely toxic, it's very hard to find babyfood without flavors, sugar, salt, preservatives... But you CAN find almost everything here (and always in Palermo): it's just a much more time-and-patience-consuming process. i.e. organic veggies, nice baby stuff, wooden toys, etc etc.
Looking forward to having you guys here!
Petra

smh said:
Hi ladies (and gents),
I'm relocating to Bs As with my husband and daughter in September and am looking for tips on where to live, child-friendly areas, baby/toddler groups etc! We're currently apartment-hunting (mainly via Craig's list and a friend) in Palermo. I'm really excited - but my "to-do list" is getting ridiculously long.
Does anyone have any tips to pass on?
Thanks,
Sian

Hi Sian, how are you? I hope you are fine.
I can help you, if you are looking an apartment here in Buenos Aires, The Best areas in Buenos Aires are: Palermo, Puerto Madero, Recoleta , Belgrano. Etc. For me, the best location is PALERMO.
I´m Owner ,You can see my apartments Here:
Palermo:
http://buenosaires.es.craigslist.org/apa/1763025562.html
http://buenosaires.es.craigslist.org/apa/1762880849.html

Puerto Madero:
http://buenosaires.es.craigslist.org/apa/1763018383.html

San telmo:
http://buenosaires.es.craigslist.org/apa/1763059976.html

All the Best, Hernan

Hi,
I have a 2 yr old and there is a toddler group in San Isidro which is full of expats. The baby toddler group has people from everywhere. In San Isidro you´ll find also full english speaking kindergardens and schools. As for the house hunting I recomend www.zonaprops.com.ar

If you have any questions let me now.
Gisel

Back