Moving to Bs As soon

sarahpterry said:
I used this company below and they were amazing and really helpful and were super good at communication
http://www.buenosairesstay.com/
I have just moved here and love it so if you need another newbie to explore BA with let me know. I hope the move goes really well
Sarah
Hi Sarah,

Thank you very much for the link. Will definitely notify you when I get there

jez said:
How long are you here for? Do you have a Guarantor? What area? what budget?
Inititially for a year. I am hoping the company can serve as a guarantor. I will like to stay as close to the office as possible, so Recoleta. Maximum 2500pesos

you're 28, you'll be bored in recoleta. I'd suggest Palermo, Villa Crespo or Almagro. Even San Telmo. Get a bike, and bike to work. :) You can likely find a studio or small 1bd furnished for 2500 pesos. I'd definitely figure out if your business will be your guarantor before coming!!

kwalarking said:
Inititially for a year. I am hoping the company can serve as a guarantor. I will like to stay as close to the office as possible, so Recoleta. Maximum 2500pesos

Apartments that require a "guarantor" rent for two years and are usually unfurnished (always without a fridge and without A/C, curtains, and (possibly) light fixtures).

For 2500 pesos you may be able to rent a furnished studio in Recoleta, but it will be very small.

in my 5 weeks here, also moved for a job, i have had a depto in recoleta and now my current one in congreso, corrientes y talcahuano. like the others have said, find a temporary place and then scope something else out. once i get back with my wife and dog next week we're settling in in the san telmo area.

i was in the pueyrredon and las heras area in recoleta and i was not bored. i'm 2 years older than you. plenty to do in the area if you're ok with not trying to do touristy things all day everyday. the city is very walkable if you don't mind walking... recoleta to san telmo in 1 hour or less.

2500 pesos won't get you much in the way of short term rentals, which is what you'll need when you arrive so budget a little more to get you settled in.

Your company should be able to act as guarantor, which will give you some more options regarding rentals. Long term rental contracts are for 2 years, and the properties are nearly always unfurnished.

I'd go for Palermo over Recoleta, more going on and moments away from work. 2500 will get you a nice place, but factor in that you'll need to pay perhaps another 1000 for expensas, ABL taxes, internet, gas, electric etc.

How long are you going to be here? Whilst furnishing an apartment is expensive and a pain, if you're going to be here a couple of years I'd recommend it. You'll need to buy a bed/sofa/fridge and will probably end up paying over the odds for them, but you can sell everything when you leave and not lose that much on what you paid for it.

Best of luck.

jp said:
2500 pesos won't get you much in the way of short term rentals, which is what you'll need when you arrive so budget a little more to get you settled in.

Your company should be able to act as guarantor, which will give you some more options regarding rentals. Long term rental contracts are for 2 years, and the properties are nearly always unfurnished.

I'd go for Palermo over Recoleta, more going on and moments away from work. 2500 will get you a nice place, but factor in that you'll need to pay perhaps another 1000 for expensas, ABL taxes, internet, gas, electric etc.

How long are you going to be here? Whilst furnishing an apartment is expensive and a pain, if you're going to be here a couple of years I'd recommend it. You'll need to buy a bed/sofa/fridge and will probably end up paying over the odds for them, but you can sell everything when you leave and not lose that much on what you paid for it.

Best of luck.
Thank you very much for this. I hope to be there for a year. I was given the impression that for 2500, I should be fine. How much would you say a decent one bed flat would cost? Dont they usually come furnished?

kwalarking said:
Thank you very much for this. I hope to be there for a year. I was given the impression that for 2500, I should be fine. How much would you say a decent one bed flat would cost? Dont they usually come furnished?

If you're only here for a year, rent a furnished apartment for the duration. It won't be worth it to buy all you need for just a year. You also will not likely need a guarantor for a furnished apartment, but they do cost quite a lot more than unfurnished places. While this city has a lot of tourists coming in and out, your average apartment is not furnished. As someone else mentioned, unfurnished apartments (which require a guarantor) come standard with a two year contract and a penalty fee if you break the contract early.

That said, with only a month until your arrival you've kind of waited too long to get a leg up on any potentially really good apartment deals. Most of the agencies will charge at least $700 (dollars)/mo for a furnished one-bedroom in a decent neighborhoood. Of course a lot of that depends on what kind of a place you're looking for. You could also look for a shared flat with a private bedroom. That's a nice alternative for someone new to the city, and costs a fair amount less than a private apartment. Bonus is that you will meet lots of people and make friends faster. You could expect to pay anywhere between $300-500 for a shared apartment.

In other threads, there have been some pretty vast differences of opinion on what can be had for what price. You will need to start hunting NOW for apartments to move into next month and chances are you'll have somewhat slim pickings. You may want to arrive for a short term and look for something longer term once you're here.

Look in the usual places like craigslist, but also try sites like soloduenos and enbuenosaires for some alternate listings that are frequently posted by property owners. You may be able to negotiate rates, but that also depends on how good your Spanish is. Perhaps your company can lend you a hand in getting a place?

Back