Moving to Buenos Aires

Past performance is no guarantee of future results. Ten years ago Bs As was laughably cheap for anyone with a foreign currency. Six years ago, Bs As was dirt cheap for those with a foreign currency. Over the last 5 or 6 years the US $'s purchasing power has eroded as the US$ has weakened against all currencies and as the peso has continued to recover against foreign currencies.
In the last couple of years the US$ has not quite held purchasing power against the Bs As cost of living. The cost of living, owing to moderate hyperinflation, has outstripped somewhat the increase in the exchange rate. As we advance into the future, and assuming the US$ doesn't totally tank against all foreign currencies, the increase in the rate of exchange for the US $ should more or less keep pace with inflation.

Only those earning local peso denominated salaries and/or who are unfamiliar with the price of things in Europe and other parts of the world complain about how expensive Bs As has become. For example you should be able to live pretty well on $3600/mo - about three times the average salary of a veteran policeman or bus driver.

Purcy said:
Only those earning local peso denominated salaries and/or who are unfamiliar with the price of things in Europe and other parts of the world complain about how expensive Bs As has become. For example you should be able to live pretty well on $3600/mo - about three times the average salary of a veteran policeman or bus driver.

Actually no, many of us that live here, travel frequently and are quite familiar with prices overseas and some even earn in other currencies and we still comment on how expensive things are here;)

I for one do all my shopping overseas - Europe and US - for housewares, clothes, electronics, etc, etc. Better prices and much better quality. YMMV.

Yes, I agree that electro domesticos, housewares, and some clothes are more expensive in BA. But renting a furnished apt, food, and local transportation is considerably cheaper here than it is for visitors to other major cities and it's those latter items on which long term visitors tend to spend money- not the former.

Back