Moving to Buenos Aires...

Beachcouple2011

Registered
Hi All,

My husband and I will officially move to Buenos Aires late next Summer, but we plan to go down there to research and visit neighborhoods soon. Hubby will be working in the heart of downtown and doesn't mind a commute on the public transit line.

Anyway, we are a couple in our 30s/40s with no children and seek to live in a "hip" area -- walking distance to bars, restaurants, shopping, entertainment, etc., safe and expat friendly. Any thoughts? I will have time to visit any neighborhoods of interest prior to moving and would love ideas from you. We are not sure how far money goes but we are hoping to spend no more than 2kUS/month for hopefully a 2/2 in a nice area. Is that realistic?

Also, should I be concerned as an African American? Anyone here know how blacks are generally treated? I have heard conflicting things through google, but would like to know from someone here. Any honest thoughts would be very much appreciated!

welcome! when it comes to a hip neighbourhood with restaurants, bars and shopping i think palermo hands down! its an awesome neighbourhood for pub hopping and great restaurants! U can find apartments for 1000usd but they are limited! although i rent out my apt for 800usd! let me know dates! hehe!
but yes, i do think palermo soho is very hip and walking distance to subtle or buses that take u downtown!

Welcome!

No big deal with black people. Mostly some curiosity/fascination and a little ignorance.

Do not expect people to even know the concept of being PC. To us (I'm argentino) ther are no "african-americans". We use the term "negro" and do not mean nothing by it. Most will assume at first glance that you must be brazilians.

Iznogud said:
No big deal with black people. Mostly some curiosity/fascination and a little ignorance.

Black people are rare in Argentina, that is why people tend to be curious.

Expect that people may be politically incorrect in their curiosity. Last year, I visited the Iguazu falls and in my group there was a black guy from Houston with dreadlocks. At the Iguazu falls there was also a group of elderly Argentinians. They were so amazed by the black guy that all of them wanted to be on a picture with him and also they were inspecting his hair with their hands (without bothering to ask his permission).

The above is correct in regards to your race...it's more curiosity than anything else, however, when I came down here initially, my friend was with me. He is a tall black guy.

We got stopped by police asking for our passports, why we were here, other stupid questions on 3 different occasions. He left 3 months ago and I haven't been asked for this information since (I'm white). When I asked why they were asking us these questions, he got upset and said "in the US they don't stop people on the street and ask for ID?" I wanted to say, "no, asshole, they don't." (Unless you're in AZ...) but I refrained just to get out of there.

So, just keep that in mind and take it with a grain of salt, answer their questions with a smile and a "fuck you" in your head :)

Well, this is a very complex topic but: we might say that generally you shouldn't feel discriminated for being black in Argentina. Most of people might react as a most with curiousity. But that's not always the case. Actually, we had a president in the 90' that when was invited to give a speech in Harvard was asked if there were black people in Argentina. Believe it or not, his answer was "Black people do not exist in Argentina, Brazil has that problem". The reality is that we have black people in Argentina but they are not so many because unfortunately many years ago they were sent to the war against Paraguay and many of them died on that war. This is a terrible fact but it's true.
You may read this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism_in_Argentina
Regards,
Juan

Why make excuses for your countrymen's behaviour towards blacks,sending them to war!
Don't you think that blacks aren't used to discrimination in other countries?so coming here
will probably be less of a problem for them?Most of the blacks I come across are flogging junk jewellery from a case,they are mainly african french speakers.

Thanks, guys! I appreciate your help and will likely come back here with additional questions after I arrive in Buenos Aires for my initial apartment search.

Hi My wife was here when I saw your message. We are both in our early 40s without kids and enjoy dining out, music, and the beach as well....although, you must know that the best beaches are about 4 or 5 hours away. We live in BA and could help you with questions about the city.

I am also looking for a fellow NBA/NFL fan to watch games with.
Even a Lakers fan.

Thanks
Billy

silwie said:
Hi My wife was here when I saw your message. We are both in our early 40s without kids and enjoy dining out, music, and the beach as well....although, you must know that the best beaches are about 4 or 5 hours away. We live in BA and could help you with questions about the city.

I am also looking for a fellow NBA/NFL fan to watch games with.
Even a Lakers fan.

Thanks
Billy

Awesome! We are NFL fanatics and appreciate some NBA here and there (go HEAT)! My next question: are there any places to watch American sports live?! Either way, we are excited to have the opportunity to embrace a different culture and are definitely up to meeting like-minded couples after we get settled in, if interested.

And yes, unfortunately we heard about proximity (or lack thereof) of the nearest beaches. I hear the beaches in the next country over are quite nice and can't wait to visit.

Back