Moving To Buenos Aires

DiscipleDan

Registered
I am new to this site and will moving to Buenos Aires in a few weeks. Whoever reads this, I am moving from the United States and want to send boxes of my personal belongings to a place I will pick it up after I arrive. Do you have any suggestions on the least expensive way to send boxes from the US? Also, is there a place you can recommend for storing the boxes? Finally, do you have any recommendations for an inexpensive apartment?

Hospitably

Dan

I am new to this site and will moving to Buenos Aires in a few weeks. Whoever reads this, I am moving from the United States and want to send boxes of my personal belongings to a place I will pick it up after I arrive. Do you have any suggestions on the least expensive way to send boxes from the US? Also, is there a place you can recommend for storing the boxes? Finally, do you have any recommendations for an inexpensive apartment?

Hospitably

Dan
Do some more research before coming here.

Put your boxes on the airplane with you. Sending boxes will guarantee that you will have no boxes. Zero, zip, nada and squat.

When I moved here many years ago I sent my boxes on a boat here and they were supposed to arrive within two to three months. I had all my personal belongings in them and only one box showed up. The rest disappeared into thin air. After that, every time I would go home I would buy two big cheap suitcases and lug things back with me every year. You can ship boxes here but it's a huge risk.

Absolutely take the maximum amount of checked baggage allowed, regardless of how much extra you have to pay for it. There is NO way to ship the same amount of stuff as cheap as paying $100 per bag extra, and as mentioned above, many times things you shipped wont even arrive.
Plus, if you ship things, you will probably have to pay taxes and duty equal to about 100% of the NEW price. Yep, that means paying $800 for a 3 year old, used laptop- but, of course, something as desirable as a laptop would probably not still be in the box...

Taxes, duties, and transaction fees to ship things both TO and From Argentina are very high, often more than the value of the item itself.
There is no easy way to do this.
If you have an entire 20' x 8' x 8' container, you will get the best deal- so if you have that much stuff, and its worth the 20,000$ or so it would cost to get it landed, then, maybe, assuming you have six months to wait and unlimited patience for beauracracy- otherwise, just check bags.

We shipped, we received everything but it was a major major headache. I was able to make some legal threats to the company we signed with in Ireland to get a successful outcome. I would really recommend not inflicting it on yourself unless 100% necessary.

We shipped a whole container (a 3 bedroom house) and everything arrived well without much hassle. If you are planning on sending a couple of boxes, it may not pay to go through all the transactions costs. I agree with the others here.

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Hi Dan![/background]
[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]I am the owner of two apartments in Buenos Aires one in Palermo Soho and one in Recoleta.[/background]
[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]I attached the shortcut on craiglist to see them.[/background]
[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]when you're in Buenos Aires we can schedule a day to see them.[/background]

http://buenosaires.e...3934916198.html

http://buenosaires.e...3832223082.html

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]the link in baexpats is:[/background]

http://baexpats.org/...er-in-recoleta/

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]The price is lower than indicated there, is 680 dollars.[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]regards[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]German [/background]

Back