Moving To Buenos Aires

We will be relocating to Buenos Aires in September. We are in are early 50's and are looking forward to the adventure for the next 2-3 years.
My husbands' office will be in San Isidro. Ideally we would like to live in the city (having been suburbanites for 30 years we are dying to live in a city). He will have a car but doesn't love driving

Are Argentinian drivers as bad as we have read? Or is there reliable public transportation out to San Isidro?

Any ideas on which neighborhood would be the easiest commute would be appreciated.

Thank you all for your replies. Unfortunately his office is not close to the station so it looks like he will be driving. We will be coming on a house-hunting trip in early August and your input will be relayed to the real estate agent in focusing our search.

Is your husband going to have a "work visa" and hence a DNI? If so, you should also be able to get your temporary residency and a DNI based on marriage. The employer should be "helping" with the residency process. It is required by law that they be registered with migraciones to hire foreigners. Hopefully, you already know about the requirements for residency.

The most important thing to get started on are the FBI reports for both of you. They should not be more than 60 (POSSIBLY 90) days old when submitted to migraciones, but if you order them prior to your August trip they may be void if you then return to the USA before submitting them to migraciones (and migraciones will check all of the pages in your passport to see if that has happened) You might have to use an expediter to get them after your return to the US in order to have them in time to submit them to migraciones when you return to Argentina in September. In any case, be sure they are "authenticated" by the State Department before they are sent to you.

If you could get them before your August visit and the employer is ready to help, your DNI's might actually be waiting for you in September.

Your US driver's licenses will only be "legal" for 90 days (each time you arirve). If either of you is driving and is involved in an accident (regardless of who is at fault) after the 90 days have passed, the insurance company can (and probably will) deny paying a claim for damages. If there are injuries to occupants of the other car, it could turn into a nightmare for him (and you, too).

I suggest that he get an international driver's license in the States before the move, but it still may be necessary to have an Argentine license to be sure he is covered by insurance that will actually pay if there is an accident. I did not drive in Argentina until I had an Argentine license.

If you live in the city (CABA) he will have to get the license in the city. It's hellish to get one at the Roca location. I believe there is another location within Capital Federal and you might be able to find it on the web (unless someone posts about it here).

If you live in the Provincia Buenos Aires (San Isidro is in the Pcia. Bs. As.), getting the license can be a LOT easier, but he'll have to get the lisence where you live, not where he works. Some members have posted that they had to take a written test before getting an Argentine license in the city, but others have received an Argentine license in the Provinca just by presenting their valid US license, taking the eye and psychological tests, and paying the appropriate fee. That's exactly what I did.

You indicated you are coming in August on a "house hunting" trip. You might be able to find a detached house for rent in Belgrano R, otherwise, most rentals in the city will be apartments. Do you know about the garantia? Is your husband's employer going to provide one? It will be very difficult to rent an unfurnished house or apartment without one. You can use the advance search here to find more details about it.

I lived in the city for four years: three in Recloeta and one in Nunez (which is just "above" Belgrano). The farther North you are, the easier the commute will be. Yes, Argentine drivers are horrible. They have the incredible skill of driving three abreast when a rational person would think the street is only wide enough for two cars (side by side).

PS: I have PDF files of the questions for the written driver's license test in English with the correct answers in bold print. I will be happy to send them to you in an email attachment if you send an email address to me in a PM.
emo32.gif

Regarding the house hunting: Do as much research as you can on line before you arrive. Most real estate offices only have a dozen or so listings, and vacant houses are few and far between. Even if you were in the market to buy a house or an apartment, most agents will only be willing to show you a couple listings and if you don't want what they have to offer they will be done with you.
emo32.gif

PS: You can find many threads on the subject of moving and what to bring using the advance search. Just click on the sprocket next to the magnyfing glass, enter "move" in the find words box, search only in titles, and display the results a topic list. Then repeat the process with words like "moving" and "garantia" and "bring" and "FBI report" (without the quotation marks).

Most real estate offices only have a dozen or so listings, and vacant houses are few and far between. Even if you were in the market to buy a house or an apartment, most agents will only be willing to show you a couple listings and if you don't want what they have to offer they will be done with you.
emo32.gif

Fortunately, not the case with the agency I work with. :)

i live in martinez/san isidro, and driving into town to commute in and out is crazy!!

can take 20 mins, can take 2 hours :)

its bad, quite bad...on the way in 2 lanes go into 7, and on the way out 7 lanes go into 2....chaos most of the time :)

live in san isidro, its gorgeous

PM me any time with questions
Ruth

Back