Moving to Buenos Aires

Soundscape82

Registered
Hello, I Get out of the service at the beginning of next year and I dont start school until the fall, I plan on coming down to Ba for about 3-6 months just to hang out. Being a Writer, Photographer, and musician, I dont plan on doing much more then writing, reading, taking pictures and working on some music, and just hanging out. any advice? im not seeking any kind of "Real" job or anything, and dont want any fancy or luxery apartment, just a decent place in an area where there is alot of art around. any input would be apreaciated. Thanks.

JRD

from You Me and Dupree...

"I went to Argentina one time, and everyone seemed to be sitting around. It was beautiful"

San telmo a good place for music. Lots of live music down there, lots of musicians. Its traditionally the artists barrio. You could share a flat with likemindeds for very little, maybe start off in a hostel to get to know the area and meet people.

Am sure you will love it.

And definitely get out of BsAs (like the Patagonias and other scenic natural wonders Argentina has to offer - go North, East and South) for your writing and photography inspirations. The provinces are great just before summertime (Argentina's).

Thats awsome, Sounds great. I've been reading that San Telmo is a bit touristy, how bad is it? Id rather not be looked at as some half brained rich gawker of society's during my ahh, well, Stint? sure. Speaking of the 'Ole Tierra Del Fuego, any idea how much it costs to get there from BA? weather it be on bus or hitch hiking, or whatever, doubt there are alot of flights.

San Telmo is old, dirty, it smells and it feels unsafe but some like it.

Airplane ticket to Ushaia, cost you about 500 dollar

San telmo isn't that bad. Parts of it are touristy, the market on sunday always brings out crowds but during the week its still buzzy. Palermo is more of a touristy barrio for me, especially palermo soho & hollywood. From experience, thats where the more monied travelling types head to. Swanky bars, touristy restaurants, lots of nightlife. San telmo is a bit more gritty - more run down, cheaper housing, scruffy - and so you get a lot of young porteños living there, artists squats, musicians etc. Sure, you won't be the only tourist, but thats not to say the area is overly touristy IMO.

I'd book yourself into a hotel/aparthotel for a week and have a travel around, no point making any decisions until you get here.

jp said:
San telmo is a bit more gritty - more run down, cheaper housing, scruffy - and so you get a lot of young porteños living there, artists squats, musicians etc. Sure, you won't be the only tourist, but thats not to say the area is overly touristy IMO.

And a gillion back packers. I find San Telmo much more touristy than Palermo.

It always amazes me how people experience places in completely different ways!

I guess SoundScape will have to come & see for himself which he prefers.

Back