Moving To Mendoza From Ba

Thank you very much for all your responses. I have just had an update and the company would probably offer her 13 to 14,000 per month, so in total we would be earning $20,000 Peso a month. Currently in BA we are earning a total of approx. $14,500 Pes/month but rent free. Do you think that this increase would be enough to find a pretty decent flat to rent and live comfortably?

Also with the Engineering opportunities up there in wineries and petroleum companies (her cousin is an Engineer and told us yesterday that there are a lot of opportunities there in petroleum too) maybe it could be a good move and I could find a job paying as well as my girlfriend. I have a first class MEng in Chemical Engineering and have worked in the pharmaceutical industry for 2 yrs and Chemicals for 1yr so I have an appreciation of strict guidelines for human body consumption (drugs), usually the same applies to food (but a little less strict in fact).

Looking forward to your responses.

20.000 is enough to live comfortably in Mendoza in my experience. In what part of Mendoza is her office or place of work going to be? Regarding your work opportunities in petroleum - the big YPF refinery is located south of the city. So renting a house in Lujan de Cuyo, Chacras de Coria, and La Puntilla might be interesting too (unless you want to live only downtown).

20.000 is enough to live comfortably in Mendoza in my experience. In what part of Mendoza is her office or place of work going to be? Regarding your work opportunities in petroleum - the big YPF refinery is located south of the city. So renting a house in Lujan de Cuyo, Chacras de Coria, and La Puntilla might be interesting too (unless you want to live only downtown).

Thank you for your response. Her job would most probably be in Downtown Mendoza. It doesn't necessarily need to be a job in petroleum, I am open to any type of opportunity using my Engineering degree, so any advise/information on opportunity areas are welcome. That's good to know that there is a YPF refinery that could be an option.

A friend of my wife's used to own a restaurant in Chacras, and I would stay at her house whenever I visited. It would be my residential preference if I were to live long-term in Mendoza.

Thank you for your response. Her job would most probably be in Downtown Mendoza. It doesn't necessarily need to be a job in petroleum, I am open to any type of opportunity using my Engineering degree, so any advise/information on opportunity areas are welcome. That's good to know that there is a YPF refinery that could be an option.

Besides the industrial sectors wine making and petroleum - the food industry sector might be interesting - or smaller sectors like furniture (Cuyoplacas/Platinum).

A friend of my wife's used to own a restaurant in Chacras, and I would stay at her house whenever I visited. It would be my residential preference if I were to live long-term in Mendoza.

Chacras de Coria is indeed a very nice place to live. It is a little more expensive that other areas but well worth it. Lots of restaurants; Relatively safe - even at night; Very green with a microclimate (a few degrees less than surrounding areas - which is very nice during the hot Mendoza summers); Most houses also have a pool; Good bus connection to Mendoza downtown; You have Maipu and Lujan close by (wine making); ...

http://inmoclick.com.ar/es/buscar-propiedades.html?query=casa+chacras+alquiler

Thanks for your responses. Does anyone know the 'better or safer' areas in Mendoza city center to live?

I lived in Mendoza for 2 years. Have lived in Buenos Aires for 7. You will have more nightlife, museums, galleries, and such activities here in the Capital. Mendoza is a much slower lifestyle. They take their siestas seriously. However, there is much more to do in the way of hiking, camping, rafting, skiing etc in Mendoza. I enjoyed my time in Mendoza but that was mostly because I had a motorcycle and used the city as a base to explore north and south along Routa 40 and west into Chile, plus my ski destinations were much closer.

If I was in Mendoza and didn't like outdoor activities I'd not be very happy. If I was there without transportation I'd be miserable.

I lived in the southern sector of Mendoza, almost to the outskirts of the city. When I was there it was the northern sector out toward the airport that was considered a bit more dangerous. That may have changed now.

Besides the industrial sectors wine making and petroleum - the food industry sector might be interesting - or smaller sectors like furniture (Cuyoplacas/Platinum).

Chacras de Coria is indeed a very nice place to live. It is a little more expensive that other areas but well worth it. Lots of restaurants; Relatively safe - even at night; Very green with a microclimate (a few degrees less than surrounding areas - which is very nice during the hot Mendoza summers); Most houses also have a pool; Good bus connection to Mendoza downtown; You have Maipu and Lujan close by (wine making); ...

http://inmoclick.com...hacras alquiler

Chacras has an admirable density of street trees to mitigate the heat, but downtown Mendoza also has a solid canopy.

I lived in Mendoza for 2 years. Have lived in Buenos Aires for 7. You will have more nightlife, museums, galleries, and such activities here in the Capital. Mendoza is a much slower lifestyle. They take their siestas seriously. However, there is much more to do in the way of hiking, camping, rafting, skiing etc in Mendoza. I enjoyed my time in Mendoza but that was mostly because I had a motorcycle and used the city as a base to explore north and south along Routa 40 and west into Chile, plus my ski destinations were much closer.

If I was in Mendoza and didn't like outdoor activities I'd not be very happy. If I was there without transportation I'd be miserable.

I lived in the southern sector of Mendoza, almost to the outskirts of the city. When I was there it was the northern sector out toward the airport that was considered a bit more dangerous. That may have changed now.

Thanks for the info. I love outdoor activities, I grew up in a small town in England with lots of outdoor activities and countryside surrounding rather than a big city. I want to do be able to hike on weekends and explore, that is definitely something I can't wait to do. I've been in Buenos nearly a year and I've pretty much been to the museums and done the things I wanted to do here so maybe it is good timing for a change.

One question, how easy is it to get from the outskirts into the center if this is where my girlfriend's office will be I think she wants to live somewhere where access is easy. How long are commute times on buses from for example Chacras de Coria,etc?

Thanks for the info. I love outdoor activities, I grew up in a small town in England with lots of outdoor activities and countryside surrounding rather than a big city. I want to do be able to hike on weekends and explore, that is definitely something I can't wait to do. I've been in Buenos nearly a year and I've pretty much been to the museums and done the things I wanted to do here so maybe it is good timing for a change.

One question, how easy is it to get from the outskirts into the center if this is where my girlfriend's office will be I think she wants to live somewhere where access is easy. How long are commute times on buses from for example Chacras de Coria,etc?

Probably 20 minutes to Chacras, depending on traffic. Not quite hiking country, though - at least an hour away.

Back