Moving US $ out to anywhere.

Thank you Nikad and others. The preferred way is using a bank of course and we will use HSBC. what about the regulations? Have they changed since Macri got to power? There use to be central bank restrictions on moving US$ out. Can u still have US$ in a bank account in Argentina? Can u transfer them out without having to change to pesos? The idea is to transfer from HSBC in BA to HSBC in Sydney. Ideally we would only exchange once. From US$ to AUD$.

We are selling a BA property with an approximate value of US100,000. This money will initially be held in cash in US$ in a Buenos Aires Bank. How can the money be transferred out of the country legally? What is the commission cost? Can it be transferred to an Australian Bank? Or a USA bank? My spouse has Argentinian Citizenship and property is in her name. Is it easier/smoother for an Argentinian or a foreigner to do this? Any referrals to reputable lawyers who can act on our behalf - and can communicate in English would be appreciated. The only legal alternative is to move it out in chunks of $9999. -- which means 5 of us travelling in and out twice and - 10% in air fares if you get a cheap ticket.

Why not just do a wire transfer from your bank there to a bank in the country of your choice... there is only a need to be under the 10k amount if you are taking the money in cash and carrying it on your person to enter into the USA ... if over the 10k amount then you need to declare it on entry into the USA...
I do not see any other problems.. but i am only a businessman .. not a lawyer..

check with banks to see if they see a problem to money transfers... deal with the banking industry before you spend money with a lawyer as most likely those individuals will not know the banking laws... they might be terrific in that legal trade and i would never put them down there but banking normally is not their forte... however there are always exceptions.

I hope my response assists you.

I have an account at HSBC in Argentina (I'm an HSBC Premier client in Argentina, USA and UK). I had no problem at all wiring from my HSBC Argentina account to my USA Bank (non HSBC). Proceeds of an apartment sale for $250,000+. I paid about 0.5% fee to do it. I was surprised how easy it was. Yes, things have certainly improved with banking since Macri took over. The K days were a nightmare!

Back