Moving with kids summer 2011

Thanks for all the helpful comments. If we were to have someone local look/negotiate for us for an apartment, what would be reasonable price to offer to pay her?

Just read this post after other school post..if you´re living in Belgrano you are spolit for school options in Belgrano and Nuñez/colegiales. I met a US family in Bariloche who send their kids to school in Argentina every summer to ensure their fluency in Spanish and they go to Washington college (I feel slothful for not sending my kids to Sweden for similar treatment but public school system doesnt quite work so flexibly)...but Belgrano Day School, Lincoln and Sworn also have great reputations and the former also great facilities...fees are (by now) I imagine at $ARS2800 per month plus matriculation + monthly extras like school meals etc )it´s been 2 years since I viisted and checked prices)

Enjoy the year.what a great opportunity for your children as well as you.

Thanks for the school suggestions. I looked at Lincoln, and it's U$S6000 matriculation and about $20,000/year - for two kids, that's out of our league. Plus, we want them to have at least a semi-immersion experience in Spanish. Do you know if Belgrano Day School and Sworn (that's a new one to me) are similar in price to Lincoln?

Also, I have a sense for Belgrano, but not Nunez/Colegiales - are they similar neighborhoods? Relatively calm/family friendly, but still good public transportation and grocery/restaurants/etc.?

BAwithkids said:
Thanks for the school suggestions. I looked at Lincoln, and it's U$S6000 matriculation and about $20,000/year - for two kids, that's out of our league. Plus, we want them to have at least a semi-immersion experience in Spanish. Do you know if Belgrano Day School and Sworn (that's a new one to me) are similar in price to Lincoln?

Also, I have a sense for Belgrano, but not Nunez/Colegiales - are they similar neighborhoods? Relatively calm/family friendly, but still good public transportation and grocery/restaurants/etc.?

´
As far as I know Lincoln, Northlands, and St Georges are the most prestigious schools in the country and offer the prices you mention, Belgrano Day School and Sworn are much more accessible and more in line with $ARS3000 + per child per month etc . Nuñez and Colegiales are very close to Belgrano and most if not all schools offer bus transport at an extra cost. Both Colegiales and Nuñez are family burbs with nice rental houses ..but have been subject to some spikes in crime in recent years. All of these schools offer a split day of Spanish half day and English half day so your kids will get plenty of Spanish immersion. To be frank, as your kids are here for a year paying OTT rates for sheer "name" schools doesnt make sense ...I´m sure if you mail Washington, Belrango Day school or Sworn you will feel more in your league and can then plan a nearby appt accordingly...fyi the only really good cheese shopwe know is in Belgrano so let that influence your choice if you love cheese with flavor and please be assured we will be here with our American son (7) and Argentinean son (2) to have play dates if so desired!

I think the prices were given in ARS $, which means around U$S 1000 per month, per child, plus once a year matriculation fees. I think the lunch is not included. I see many kids carrying their lunch boxes.

I think you will need to come down to BA by yourself or trust your contact person about the convenience of the place regarding the aspects mentioned above. All of the areas mentioned in this thread have places more or less convenient. It is hard to generalize.

As you didn't mention your plans for resident status, I wonder if you are you applying at the Argentine consulate for a work permit (which grants temporary residency on an annual basis). If you are, you will be eligible for a DNI and that can make a big difference in renting "long" term. Most long term leases, however, are for unfurnished apartments, the term of the lease is for two years, and a garantia is usually required. Your husband may be able to get a student visa and temporary residency if you don't. In either case the children may need to have their own DNI's to enroll in school. They should be eligible for their DNI's as your dependents.

Nuñez borders Belgrano and I lived a half block into Nuñez for a year (on Amenabar at Congreso near the end of Linea D of the subte). There was a huge school next door, and while many parents picked up their kids in cars, almost as many walked them to and from school. It's a great place for kids but you have to be selective on a block by block basis. I also lived in Recoltea and Palermo. I liked Nuñez the most and I never seriously considered Colegiales (too far from Linea D and the "best" of BA in general).

I think your best bet is to negotiate a renewable six months lease. A longer lease is not legal if you are here with only tourists visas. You can agree on the amount of the rent for the entire year in advance. The lessor (by law) should also provide a copy of the lease in English.

Greetings,

My name is Lina and I have helped some of my expat friends to find rentals, purchase cars and other things related to moving and living in BA.

I'm a teacher (Biology, English and Spanish) and I have a lot of contacts that can help you get settled. I legally live here since Jan 2008 and I know the city pretty well.

If you are interested, we can set up a skype meeting, and I will be pleased to answer all of your questions. I don't expect you to trust a complete stranger!

The reason why I like to help out is because I know how hard it is to move to a foreign country and having people take advantage of you because you are a foreigner.

On the other hand, it is a way to pay it forward :)

Regards,

Back