My 13yo Nephew Robbed - Unusual Method

My children's school in bajo Belgrano is gathering signed petitions from parents asking for police presence around schools ---- apparently, a lot of kids have been robbed on their way to/from school...

Some 15-20 years ago it was the same but at that time they were after anyone wearing Nike's...

Very sorry to hear about your nephew...

I saw some guy trying to steal a girl's cell phone on the subway just last week. He was waiting by the door's for them to open and when they did he tried to grab the phone of the girl sitting across from me and then leg it from the train car. Luckily the girl managed to hold onto her phone and there was no struggle.
First time i've seen that here in Bs As and a reminder to always have your wits about you.

I am so sorry this happened. These are traumatic experiences for kids. My husband and some friends were robbed when he was little here in Belgrano. The guy even took his shoes. They all recovered just fine from the experience if that is a worry. But, it still is not fun to go through things like this as a kid. You surely remember it all your life and my husband can tell the story like it happened yesterday. I don´t think he has been robbed since though luckily. As much as parents do to protect their kids, they can´t be there every second. I agree that it is important to have a conversation with your kids about this kind of safety. My husbands group of friend were terrified but gave up their stuff and weren´t hurt. Luckily for them too because they saw the guy had a gun after a while.

I met an exchange student the other day that boldly proclaimed she would hit anybody that tried to rob her and that she wouldn´t give up her things for anything. Not the best scenario if the person is armed. I wonder if she ever had this conversation with her parents.

Also, thanks for sharing so that other people can be on the look out in this area.

BAFinance said:
A 13 year old has a cell phone?

lol, you're out of touch with the younger generation ;) -- come on, 8 year olds have cell phones now -- and a lot of kindergarten kids have or are clambering for them!

jayjane said:
I met an exchange student the other day that boldly proclaimed she would hit anybody that tried to rob her and that she wouldn´t give up her things for anything. Not the best scenario if the person is armed. I wonder if she ever had this conversation with her parents.

Awful idea to fight back..you never know if it's a gun or their bluffing and I don't want to take that risk. My boyfriend was robbed at gunpoint in Olivos in 2002, they demanded his keys and he gave them over immediately (as his parents had always taught him to do). Good thing he did, that same week they saw on the news that someone had been shot in Olivos for fighting to keep his car...

irina said:
Awful idea to fight back..you never know if it's a gun or their bluffing and I don't want to take that risk. My boyfriend was robbed at gunpoint in Olivos in 2002, they demanded his keys and he gave them over immediately (as his parents had always taught him to do). Good thing he did, that same week they saw on the news that someone had been shot in Olivos for fighting to keep his car...

A snatch and grab is a lot different than being at the end of a gun. I think that everyone should have basic self defense training, not to fight, but to get away from a dangerous situation.

For instance, when someone grabs you break their hold and run. If you can not get away, you should yell. Of course, if there is a gun or knife you should submit.

I hear that we should all submit to whatever crime is being committed against us. Does this hold true when they are hurting a loved one? So is they just want to kill you, you should just make yourself a good target?

A self-defence course would be great for a newcomer to take. Do you know who in BA offers these? (I hope it's not the bandits themselves. Now there's a racket.)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MilHojas Articles 0
Back