My cat & I are new to BA, I need some advice :)

mhenna11 said:
Cat food.. I make my cat and also when anyone is coming over I have them pick me up some tried and wet food from Whole foods. But I make my cats food because it's actually cheaper to make. I spend 20 pesos on two weeks of fresh food, dried crappy food, cost the bad one 14 pesos the good one and not even quality, 28 pesos, that last for 3 -4 weeks, anyway, if you have the time, make the cats food, brush her teeth to avoid the vets here and give her taurine, put it in the food if you make it. I can give my recipe that I use for my cat's food. Did you bring a food processor from your country, if not, try and find one that is good, it will save you time. It takes me one hour to make her food every week. I use brown rice, carrots, chicken (organic), one egg, egg shells, taurine, brocolli or dandelion, vitamin e, and if you can afford it, I cannot, chia seed oil.
I brought my safflower oil from the states, but ran out. You can use organic butter if you want but I prefer not to. I also brought from the states vitamin powder for pets from an organic store in the states. But you don't need to do all of this, you can make fresh food for her, and avoid the vitamins by mixing her fresh food with the crappy dried food, and this will guarantee she gets enough vitamins.
If you have any questions on how to prepare it, PM me and I will be glad to help you out. Vets here are mediocre, and not update on pet care. I will tell you how to store cat food,,how to mix it, what not to do, i learned the hard way, messing up my first batches of cat food. I understand how you feel, when i arrived here with my cat I realized I had to make her food, or she would die of kidney problems. Good luck.

How do cats survive in this country then? You make it sound as if cat food here is poison, yet I see healthy cats all over, if you chose to make you own cat food that's fine but don't try to freak people out by saying home made cat food is the only way.

Also, I've adopted a cat from a shelter and when I first got her she wouldn't eat any kind of food, I took her to a vet and he found a nose infection that prevented her from smelling therefore she wasn't aware that the food I gave her was food, he gave me the antibiotics she needed which I fed her for a week as instructed and she started eating and became a healthy cat, she's two years old now and has no health problems at all, I also took her to the same vet when it was time to get her spayed and again, they took good care of her and I can't think of anything to complain about them. So I would say local vets are ok here.

My point being, your cat won't die because you fed him/her local non homemade food and local vets are reliable.

Back