My experience extending tourist visitor visa - Ask Me Anything (AMA)

It looks like the person who was denied entry was making a "visa run" in order to get a new 90 day tourist visa.

the lawyer says it was a holiday but I think it's irrelevant, it was a visit abroad after a prorroga and more than 90 days stay in Argentina

Does this mean that Russian citizens who are subject to this agreement must leave for 90 days after a 90 day stay and then may return for an aditional 90 days?

I think this is exactly what it means. Russians can do visa run once, before the first 90 days expire and they will be allowed re-entry and 90 more days. But when 90 days from the first entry pass, technically it will be an overstay, even though it's less than 90 days from the second entry.

Would be interesting to know from real experience, somehow I think multiple visa runs works for Russians just as well as for others and these rules are not widely known to border control.

the lawyer says it was a holiday but I think it's irrelevant, it was a visit abroad after a prorroga and more than 90 days stay in Argentina

If the individual received a "prorroga" that means the original 90 day "visa" was actually extended at migraciones?

Any tourist who is granted a 90 prorroga can stay in Argentina for a maximum of180 consecutive days.

If I understand correctly (based on my own experience), they will get an additional 90 days from the date that the prorroga is granted.

But if they leave the country and return before the prorroga expires, they would still have until the prorroga expired to stay in Argentina.

This is the first time I have heard of someone being denied reentry beforethe prorroga actually expired-

Russians can do visa run once, before the first 90 days expire and they will be allowed re-entry and 90 more days.
They cannot get a prorroga of the first 90 days?

But when 90 days from the first entry pass, technically it will be an overstay, even though it's less than 90 days from the second entry.

It will be an overstay after the first 90 days have passed if they do not get a prorroga.

They would still have the 30 day grace period to apply for the prorroga (and pay 50% more) to get one, unless they canot get a prorroga inof the first 90 day visa.

Would be interesting to know from real experience, somehow I think multiple visa runs works for Russians just as well as for others and these rules are not widely known to border control.
Multiple visa runs are very risky and I have no doubt that the border control agents know the rules very well.

Since 2010, visa runs can be considered "abuse of the tourist visa" by any border official who has the power to "judge" the foreigner as a "pseudo tourist" and deny entry, as I previously noted and it can happen the first time a visa run is attempted

If the individual is subject to a maximun stay of 190 days and then must leave the country, making a visa run should always have the same result, if that individual returns too soon.

Last edited:
If I understand correctly (based on my own experience), they will get an additional 90 days from the date that the prorroga is granted.
That's not correct.
I applied a week before my 90 day visa ended. My 3-page prorroga document lists the full 90 day extension, taking effect on the 91st day ... 90 days + 90 days, not 90 days from the date the prorroga was granted (which would have reduced my stay to 173 days)

That's not correct.
I applied a week before my 90 day visa ended. My 3-page prorroga document lists the full 90 day extension, taking effect on the 91st day ... 90 days + 90 days, not 90 days from the date the prorroga was granted (which would have reduced my stay to 173 days)
That's good to know.

It means there has been a change since I got my one and only prorroga...which expired a few days after I got my precaria for temporary residency, ending my days in Argentina as a tourist...forever!

They cannot get a prorroga of the first 90 days?
They can. It will have the same effect as visa run - they will get 90 extra days. The difference is that prorroga will prevent them from re-entry if they leave. Visa run may or may not, as you mentioned it is considered an abuse of tourist visa, still there are so many people doing it without problems.

Funny enough, in a neighbouring thread I have just read @Bajo_cero2 resident lawyer’s real name… the case I mentioned above was told by the lawyer with the same name on another resource.

What a small world.

Hi all, 2 questions

1. Is it possible to pay the tourist overstay fine at the cruise terminal in CABA when cruising out of the country?
2. When paying the overstay fine at the immigration office - is that at the same location as where you get extensions - Av. Antártida Argentina 1355?

FYI, when I left Migraciones, the official who processed me gave me a sheet of paper on which he wrote a 9-digit "Numero de Expediente" If you were given this number then all you need to do is type that number and your date of birth at this web site:

I then downloaded a 3-page document with all the details of my visa extension. The immigration officer said I would need to show it to Immigration (Border Control?) at the airport when I leave Argentina.

So, I received this 9-digit number as well... was given no other directions, and when I get to the screen it has several prompts, including Disposición (blank), Fecha de Movimiento (30/12/1899) Fecha vencimiento Precaria: (blank) Fecha renovación Precaria: (blank).

If I skip forward without changing anything it gives me the option to upload a pdf. I genuinely have no idea how to proceed.

So, I received this 9-digit number as well... was given no other directions, and when I get to the screen it has several prompts, including Disposición (blank), Fecha de Movimiento (30/12/1899) Fecha vencimiento Precaria: (blank) Fecha renovación Precaria: (blank).

If I skip forward without changing anything it gives me the option to upload a pdf. I genuinely have no idea how to proceed.

Disregard. I figured it out. I just had to download a pdf of my transit history and upload it. That movement date from 1899 really threw me off though.

I just clicked on my original link (above) and I got the same screen I got originally, so I'm not sure how you can click the same link and get a different screen? I'm attaching a screenshot ...

Attachments

• Consulta Unificada Migraciones - argentina.gob.ar - www.migraciones.gov.ar.png
    Consulta Unificada Migraciones - argentina.gob.ar - www.migraciones.gov.ar.png
    250.1 KB · Views: 9
Back