My experience extending tourist visitor visa - Ask Me Anything (AMA)

For what it's worth, I am in the process of renewing my DNI (again) via Radex. Yesterday I went to Migracion and was told that I do not need a prorroga to extend my 90 day tourist visa because, being registered with Radex, I am considered by the government of Argentina to be a (temporary) resident of Argentina.

My Spanish is pretty good but I wanted to make sure that I understood the staffer correctly. So I politely asked her three times, in three different ways, what my status was and she confirmed that I am indeed a temporary resident and do not have to leave for six months or make the Colonia Run.

For what it's worth, I am in the process of renewing my DNI (again) via Radex. Yesterday I went to Migracion and was told that I do not need a prorroga to extend my 90 day tourist visa because, being registered with Radex, I am considered by the government of Argentina to be a (temporary) resident of Argentina.

My Spanish is pretty good but I wanted to make sure that I understood the staffer correctly. So I politely asked her three times, in three different ways, what my status was and she confirmed that I am indeed a temporary resident and do not have to leave for six months or make the Colonia Run.
If I understand correctly, and the DNI is "valid" for fifteen years for both temporary and permanent residents, I assume that you are renewing your temporary residency for (at least) the second time...

Even if you previously had temporary residency and you left the country without staying for six months, causing your residency to expire, then you reentered as a tourist, as soon as you started the current application for temporary residency, whether it is a new aplication or a renewal of a previous temporary residency, you immediately become "exempt" from the need to ask for a prorroga of a tourist visa.

In any case, it would be interesting to know why you already had a DNI and now have a tourist visa if the reason is different from the one I imagined,

Last edited:
If I understand correctly, and the DNI is "valid" for fifteen years for both temporary and permanent residents.
If anyone who has temporary residency is reading this post, I hope they would be willing to check the date of issue and the expiration date of their DNI to see how many years it is "good for" and post a reply in this thread.

Last edited:
If anyone who has temporary residency is reading this post, I hope they would be willing to check the date of issue and the expiration date of their DNI to see how many years it is "good for" and post a reply in this thread.
Permanent residence DNI valid for 15 years....! Temporary Residence for 15 years..????

Last edited:
Permanent residence DNI valid for 15 years....! Temporary Residence for 15 years..????
Yeah, I got the impression from several of Bajo-cero2's posts that DNI numbers do not "expire" as fast as temporary residency.itself, but I never got an answer if a new card is now issued each time temporary residency is actually renewed.

I had the booklet during my temporary residency, never a card/tarjeta and the renewal of my temporary rsidency was noted in the booklet, first at migraciones and then (in a separtate trip) by the registro (where the DNI was granted in the first place).

I any case, RADEX is now the online route to geting or renewing temporary or permanent residency or the change from temporary to permanent residency on the third or fourth renewal.

If a new DNI card is issued each time the temporary residency is renewed, it is because the residency was renewed, not the DNI.

Steve, I'm not sure if I understood your question correctly, but I did 3 "back to back" temporary residency renewals from 2017 to 2021, and each time a new DNI was issued, with a new photo.

Migraciones seems to have problems with the horizontal sizing of their photos, so the photos on each DNI look very different.

If I understand correctly, and the DNI is "valid" for fifteen years for both temporary and permanent residents, I assume that you are renewing your temporary residency for (at least) the second time...

Even if you previously had temporary residency and you left the country without staying for six months, causing your residency to expire, then you reentered as a tourist, as soon as you started the current application for temporary residency, whether it is a new aplication or a renewal of a previous temporary residency, you immediately become "exempt" from the need to ask for a prorroga of a tourist visa.

In any case, it would be interesting to know why you already had a DNI and now have a tourist visa if the reason is different from the one I imagined,
Looking at the back of my DNI card, it is a for a one year residence which expired in MAY 21. I had to leave in APR 20 for rotator cuff surgery at a FL VA Med Center and, with BA in lockdown, I was fortunate to escape via an Eastern Airlines evac flight. Upon healing, I could not return due to Argentina being closed and me not being 'vaccinated'. But here we are.

I first came to BA in 1986 and have been through this drill many times. You go to the Migracion and get different answers from different employees. I used to do the tramite myself but now I use an Argie attorney to minimize the chaos and running around. At this point I don't even try to make sense of it. It's as futile as wondering what my cat is thinking. I just go where the attorney tells me to go and do what she tells me to do. It's easier that way. Like marriage. And it helps the local economy.

So I just use the DNI as credit card ID until the new one is issued. The gate agent in Bogota tried to compel me to buy a round trip ticket and so we had a warm discussion about the DNI still being valid as proof of Argie residency despite its expiration due to the Covid grace period. She had no idea what she was saying and in the end I prevailed.

A wonderful Christmas to you and all the other expats living in this wonderful country.

Steve, I'm not sure if I understood your question correctly, but I did 3 "back to back" temporary residency renewals from 2017 to 2021, and each time a new DNI was issued, with a new photo.
Thanks, Frank, Just to be clearr, each time you renewed your temporary residency, a new card was issued, but you have always had the same DNI number?

I know the answer is yes, I just want to clear up the fact that, technically speaking, individuals with temporary residency only get a new card showing their DNI number by renewing their residency through migraciones, not by actually renewing their DNI at the registro.

Of course with RADEX and a much "better" system now than the one in use years ago, few, if any, expats are likely to make that "mistake" these days. 🤠

Last edited:
Thanks, Frank, Just to be clearr, each time you renewed your temporary residency, a new card was issued, but you have always had the same DNI number?

I know the answer is yes, I just want to clear up the fact that, technically speaking, individuals with temporary residency only get a new card showing their DNI number by renewing their residency through migraciones, not by actually renewing their DNI at the registro.

Of course with RADEX and a much "better" system now than the one in use years ago, few, if any, expats are likely to make that "mistake" these days. 🤠
Yes :)

I recently went to Migraciones en Retiro to get the visa extension (prórroga). So I thought I'd give some words of advice for people wanting to extend their visa de turista past the 90 days you automatically get.

How you get there is obviously not part of the procedure sensu stricto, but I'll note that I took the train from Palermo and that day there happened to be cancelled train so I spent probably 45 minutes waiting in Palermo and then the walk from the station to the Migraciones building isn't exactly fun. At one point I crossed railroad tracks where there were two firemen gathering funds for new uniforms (that was the story, anyway -- and they were very nice if nothing else) and they told me that earlier that morning someone had been stabbed in a robbery where I was just walking. The lack of police presence in the area given a fresh stabbing seemed a little odd, but 🤷‍♂️

Then I get to the building and I have to say, I expected more. I've only done a similar process once in my life (in Lima, Peru) and the difference is night and day. I feel like Migraciones here in Buenos Aires is something I'd expect on a land border crossing in the hinterlands somewhere. But here's the first piece of useful advice I'll give you: the line closest to you as you enter is for consultation and/or getting your turno (a slip of paper with a number). Go to the further away line that has a sign saying "citas turno" and when asked what you're up to, say some variant of buenos días, quisiera realizar el trámite de prórroga. Something like that.

Now, the first terrible mistake I made was getting there at 11:00ish. That wasn't my original plan, but that's how itt happened. The guy told me that they had already reached capacity for that day. Then he was telling me that the sistema was caído, viste and I had not in fact visto. He told me to come back the next day, earlier.

So I went the next day, earlier. I got there probably around 9:15 and this time I did get into the building. Once you're in there they pretty much tell you go here, then there, etc. It ended up taking a surprisingly long time (I left around 11:30). Most of it was just was waiting to be called, so I'd recommend taking a book. In the end I was given a piece of paper describing how to descargar disposición to finalize the procedure. One worrying thing is that this morning I tried to do it and after following the instructions I landed on a page that said "Debe presentarse en su Delegación para poder regularizar la situación." I hope that that will change before my flight out of the country, because if it doesn't I'm just going to take this paper and my receipt and say, yanqui entender muy poco yanqui ya pagar.

Anyway, hope this helps someone down the road!

Pd. Very important (!!) At migraciones, before entering the building, I was asked when my visa was going to expire and elsewhere I've read that you need to go in the 10-day window before it expires. I'm curious to know why that's the policy, but in any case it seems like it's enforced. Also don't forget your 4000 pesos in cash.

Back