My How Things Have Changed Yet Not Changed

Sorry, I dnt work for customer service of US banks. I have given you the hints. Persons concerned should call up Charles Schwab bank and ask them about it. Or when you are traveling next to US, try walking in a bank and opening the account. If it does not work cos of a difficult c.s rep , try other banks/other branches..eventually it will work for sure.

Sorry, I dnt work for customer service of US banks. I have given you the hints. Persons concerned should call up Charles Schwab bank and ask them about it. Or when you are traveling next to US, try walking in a bank and opening the account. If it does not work cos of a difficult c.s rep , try other banks/other branches..eventually it will work for sure.

It took less than a minute to google Schwab and go to their international link...and see that (at least on line) they offer only brokerage accounts to foreigners.

I know from experience that a Schwab checking account is a prerequisite to get a Schwab debit card. I cannot claim with absolute certainty that a non resident cannot also open a Schwab bank checking account, but I doubt it is possible to do so on line.

One other thing I know from experience is that no matter who you are or how low your account balance, you will never encounter a "difficult" Schwab customer service representative, and that's the only bank that has been mentioned in this thread (because it's the one with no monthly charges or minimum balance requirement and they refund the foreign bank ATM fees.

Try walking in to any other US bank and asking for that

Try walking into other US bank and asking for that.

All depends on how much money you have in yr pocket.

Also the way a US bank behaves is totally different with Americans/ US residents/ tax residents and with foreigners who have no tax liabilities in the US.

All depends on how much money you have in yr pocket, wiseman.

Also the way the banks behave are totally different for Americans/ US residents/ tax residents and for foreigners with no tax liabilities in US.

How much ( or how little) money I have in my pocket or my account apparently makes no difference to Schwab. I get the same service as someone with a million dollars in their account. They even issue and mail cashier's checks without charging a fee.

I mentioned Schwab in response to a comment about ATM fees adding up because of withdrawal limits imposed by Argentine banks and I did so with the understanding/belief that US residency is a prerequisite for opening a Schwab bank account and getting a Schwab debit card.

I wold love to be wrong about that as it would mean that someone like PaulBee might be able to use XOOM to transfer funds to Argentina (if he could get his funds into a Schwab account without too much trouble and/or expense).

PS: Thank you for referring to me as wiseman.

It wasn't necessary but I do appreciate it.

Thank you for referring to me as wiseman.

I am calling you wiseman..cos your wise cerebrum refuses to listen - WITHOUT trying to understand what I am trying to tell you. I have absolutely zero.zero idea how does Shwab bank or any damn US bank behave or gives privileges to a US man like you irrespective of if you are a pauper or a billionaire. The reason being, I do not belong to any of those 3 categories . Which 3 categories will this wiseman ask? US citizen, US resident, US tax resident

=======

In all my posts above, I was talking about non US citizens/ non - US residents / non US tax residents... get it???? knock knock!! anyone body home in the cerebrum of this wiseman??

If yes ( hopefully) ///then please tell the cerebrum on the sunset, to read my previous posts again.

---

Paul Bee or anyone else ( who do not belong to those 3 categories) can pick up their phone and call the bank in work hours and they will get a accurate and most upto date reply as applicable at present moment. The sinking/sunsetting cerebrum need not eat my cerebrum trying to find the exact answer as I have already dropped a hint, for such expats ( not belonging to any of the 3 categories) - some of them were unaware basis previous posts as above in this thread. Again, my posts on this thread did not make reference to the 3 categories! Which 3 categories, the sinking cerebrum will ask. Read above, wiseman!

FWIW - I know of several banks in the Miami area that will open accounts for foreigners, even those without a tax ID, My husband opened one at BOA in Wellington long before he got his residency in the US. In fact, in the Miami branch of BOA, they also opened a credit card for him (again, without a ssn or tax ID of any kind) after he had his checking/savings account open for several years. Several other family members have BB&T accounts.
Generally if you walk into a branch in a location where they are used to dealing with foreigners (and generally those with funds), you may find options other than what you can find online.

FWIW I can confirm that there are people in this city, with no US nexus (neither citizenship nor residency nor SSN) who have credit cards issued by US banks, with an Argentine billing address.

Your thread title sums it up perfectly but at least my blood pressure stays normal every time I see Macri on the telly.

But the withdrawal limits are ridiculous so you end up paying a ton in fees.

WoW you got that right ATM fees and limitations are over the top. Bye with cards get my cash back incentives I guess. Working on the citizenship plan Trump land can go too well you know where.

Back