My New Netbook (Thank You!!!!) But Internet Problems

arlean

Registered
To you who gave me the good advice about the netbook. I did buy it and I LOVE IT! So many thanks. You were so right!

But I have not had Internet for two months. I have called, my landlady has called (it´s in her name), my sweet neighbor spent an evening on the phone with them (because I don´t always understand their spanish though I can sure tell them what´s wrong). They say it is in the line, I think it´s the modem as well because I was having to reset the modem frequently just before it all went down. Maybe it IS in the line as well. They said I would have internet by Thursday and they would come to my apartment. They didn´t. Then in my logic I thought well maybe they will come Friday. They didn´t.

Yesterday I went in person to Arnet. They sure are not interested in my problem. They had some pretty angry people there though but it appeared to be about bills and other things. I´m going to ask the landlady to just cut it off.

Can you all enlighten me about the situation here? When I first came I was told to install two Internet services in case one went down, supposedly that is what business people do. I decided to try one and for 3 years it has been dependable. But the honeymoon is sure over now!

Well when the govt was threatening to pull the plug on Fibertel I once had arnet promise to come 11 times..and didn't..at the same time as their sales people called me daily to offer the service..I kept saying YES I WANT IT BUT YOU NEVER COME TO INSTALL IT..it was ludicrous..they never did come in the end and Fibertel remained alive and well. I only ever enjoyed excellent service in 9 years with Fibertel...like L'Oreal..more expensive but worth it

You need a line without noise to be able to use ADSL service. Poor quality line just won´t do.

The catch is that Arnet and your phone company (essentially the same iceholes but wearing different hats) will bounce the issue back and forth instead of helping you.
You should call the phone company and tell them that your line is no longer able to work with ADSL and you need them to verify it.

Good luck with that.

Slightly differently than your issue, but I waited on Telecom to come and install for two months before I finally followed all my friends and neighbors' advice to call Fibertel. They came in a week and I'm up and running.

The sad fact is that Telecom/Arnet care very little, if anything at all for their customers, whereas Fibertel seem determined not to lose any.
It's simply bad management on the part of Arnet.

Cancel Arnet and switch to Fibertel - they'll come within a week. In a month or so, a very nice Arnet person will call you to ask why you cancelled the service and offer you a discount.

I wish we could get Fibertel in our neighborhood. We have Arnet and have been without internet for 2 weeks (it's still down and so is our phone line.) We've called several times trying to get some type of explanation or a real estimate of when we could expect to have internet back and nothing. All they would say is that our complaint is registered. Their customer service is absolutely useless. I can understand there being a major problem, but they should do a better job of keeping their customers informed and up to date as to what's actually going on.

As soon as another internet service provider becomes available in the area, we're switching. It has been pretty stable (and by stable I mean slow but up) most of the time, but two weeks is ridiculous for a internet/phone line to be down. Not even Florida's hurricanes interrupted my internet much at all when I was in Miami.... I have to really wonder what the hell they're doing here.

Are you anywhere near Alto Palermo? I ask because that´s my neighborhood and that´s what they tell me so I wonder if it´s the same problem. I´ve been without Internet for two months. Think they´ll offer me a refund? Hahahahaha! I do jest, of course!

But it´s all over now. Problem is I keep getting promises and keep waiting. But after yesterday at their office, I´m done. Thanks so much. I´m sorry for all your problems but at least I´m not alone!

I would also suggest switching to Fibertel.

As to backup connection, or for the situations like this when you have no internet at all for several weeks. You can get mobile internet from a cell phone company. All three of them (claro, movistar and personal )now provide prepaid options with 5-10 pesos per day plans. This is different from 1 peso per day internet on the cell phones and gives more 3G traffic per day. You do have to pay 150-300 peso for an USB modem, but it is a one time purchase. Check the speeds in your area first, before buying the modem.

henryb, this is kind of what I was wondering. But I assume you can´t run a computer from the cell phone, right? I met a woman once in the mountains of the Dominican Republic and she had her computer sitting on her table, hooked up to a cell phone. There was no internet access in her area but I didn´t ask her how it worked.

Back