My Portano Experiance

Pensador, just curious, how's your (spoken) Spanish? I think you're confusing two concepts, the definition of a word, and how the people near you feel about those people. If porteño in your neck of the woods refers to someone from BA who has "bad manners", how do they refer to someone who is from BA that they like -- let me guess, porteño. And if its a Mendocino that's pissing them off I doubt they'd call him a porteño. Anyway I'm just saying the definition of a porteño is person from BA. Now whether or not they like them might be a different story. Just dont start dropping the word porteño into your conversations every time you want to refer to someone with bad manners, the people around you will just think you're referring to a guy from Capital. I mean when someone cuts you off you're not about to yell por "Que porteño!!" are you, it wouldn't make sense. If you do want to talk about someone you dont like you can use hijo de pu, gil, garca, pedazo de mierda, pelotudo, etc but not just porteño. Anyway now I need to know, is the person you were pissed off at actually from Buenos Aires or was he just a jerk and you thought that the word for jerk was portano?

Pensador, just curious, how's your (spoken) Spanish? I think you're confusing two concepts, the definition of a word, and how the people near you feel about those people. If porteño in your neck of the woods refers to someone from BA who has "bad manners", how do they refer to someone who is from BA that they like -- let me guess, porteño. And if its a Mendocino that's pissing them off I doubt they'd call him a porteño. Anyway I'm just saying the definition of a porteño is person from BA. Now whether or not they like them might be a different story. Just dont start dropping the word porteño into your conversations every time you want to refer to someone with bad manners, the people around you will just think you're referring to a guy from Capital. I mean when someone cuts you off you're not about to yell por "Que porteño!!" are you, it wouldn't make sense. If you do want to talk about someone you dont like you can use hijo de pu, gil, garca, pedazo de mierda, pelotudo, etc but not just porteño. Anyway now I need to know, is the person you were pissed off at actually from Buenos Aires or was he just a jerk and you thought that the word for jerk was portano?

You forgot "sorete" another great insult.

and you thought that the word for jerk was portano?

Maybe in his circle they actually say Portano, a (newly created) mix between a porteño + tano (derogatory term for Italian immigrants). That would make sense as an insult.
I can't still get why there are kiosks called El tano with the Italian flag on them. I guess in the US nobody would open a kiosk called "Wop's kitchen".

Maybe in his circle they actually say Portano, a (newly created) mix between a porteño + tano (derogatory term for Italian immigrants). That would make sense as an insult.
I can't still get why there are kiosks called El tano with the Italian flag on them. I guess in the US nobody would open a kiosk called "Wop's kitchen".

Is "tano" as derogatory as WOP? I've heard many Italian-Argentines refer to themselves as tano.

Is "tano" as derogatory as WOP? I've heard many Italian-Argentines refer to themselves as tano.

Sarafina is mistaken....!! Tano comes from Napoli-tano and is not derogatory :cool:

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tano_%28gentilicio%29

En el español rioplatense se le denomina coloquialmente tano (en lugar de «italiano») a los habitantes y naturales de Italia o descendientes de italianos. Esto sucede tanto enArgentina[sup]1[/sup] [sup]2[/sup] [sup]3[/sup] [sup]4[/sup] [sup]5[/sup] [sup]6[/sup] [sup]7[/sup] [sup]8[/sup] [sup]9[/sup] como en Uruguay.[sup]10[/sup] [sup]11[/sup] [sup]12[/sup] [sup]13[/sup] [sup]14[/sup] El término proviene de la aféresis fonética de napolitano (originario de Nápoles), ya que una gran cantidad de italianos que llegaron al Río de la Plata entre finales del siglo XIX y principios del siglo XX provenían de dicha ciudad.[sup]11[/sup] [sup]15[/sup] [sup]16[/sup] Su uso también se extiende como apodo o sobrenombre, como por ejemplo El Tano Pasman, fenómeno de Internet.[sup]17[/sup]

Spoken Spanish is very good after 8 years writing is not good at all. Being dyslexic well lets not go there. Porteno has negative connotations here definitely. But like I said they don't talk these things with Argies around. To be honest Uruguayans do not think very highly of the Argies from BA at all. But you have understand Uruguayans do have manners and are much more socially aware then the typical Argentinian from BA.

Is Pensador saying that porteño and Portano are two different things, the first being people from BA, the other a derogatory term he has heard used? Five pages in an it is still pretty confusing. Pensador, when you say portano, do you mean porteño, or are you saying something else?

Sarafina is mistaken....!! Tano comes from Napoli-tano and is not derogatory :cool:

Call me a napoletana and I will spit in your face. (Btw, even in Italian calling someone who is not Neapolitan a Neapolitan is perceived as an insult, because people from Naples have a bad reputation in the popular culture - for example if someone is trying to scam you and you call him a Neapolitan, he is not going to be happy about it).

Anyway, I consulted with my Argie family. Grandpa says that "tano" is not an insult per se, but can be used in a derogatory fashion.
The same for porteño, when said by an Uruguayan or by someone who doesn't like people from CF.

*Of course tano cannot be derived from italiano (there is no 'tano' in the word italiano), it is just used to address Italians.

Call me a napoletana and I will spit in your face. (Btw, even in Italian calling someone who is not Neapolitan a Neapolitan is perceived as an insult, because people from Naples have a bad reputation in the popular culture - for example if someone is trying to scam you and you call him a Neapolitan, he is not going to be happy about it).

Anyway, I consulted with my Argie family. Grandpa says that "tano" is not an insult per se, but can be used in a derogatory fashion.
The same for porteño, when said by an Uruguayan or by someone who doesn't like people from CF.

*Of course tano cannot be derived from italiano (there is no 'tano' in the word italiano), it is just used to address Italians.

You read the quote? from wikipedia ???? Save your spit ... You are a Tana here...!!

Tano as used here, comes from Napoli-Tano! as the majority of the immigrants came from Naples area...!
You can then figure out WHY Descendants from Napolitanos here brought their idiosyncrasy and way of doing business...!

The same as ALL immigrants from the Middle East/Ottoman Empire Are called Turcos...!

You read the quote? from wikipedia ???? Save your spit ... You are a Tana here...!!

Tano as used here, comes from Napoli-Tano! as the majority of the immigrants came from Naples area...!
You can then figure out WHY Descendants from Napolitanos here brought their idiosyncrasy and way of doing business...!

The same as ALL immigrants from the Middle East/Ottoman Empire Are called Turcos...!
and jews are called rusos,and spaniards are called gallegos,and orientals are called chinos

Back