My Social Security Account

When my wife was eligible to receive SS benefits, she used and still uses our address here in Argentina, without a problem. That was in 2017 and she did everything over the phone, talking with an agent.

Thanks Stan

My original posting was to find out about Creating an Account on the Online "My SSA application" . It doers NOT pertain to the steps requerid to Apply to Start receiveing SSA benefits..!!
The MySSA account application Requires a Valid verifiable US address .

Thanks Stan

My original posting was to find out about Creating an Account on the Online "My SSA application" . It doers NOT pertain to the steps requerid to Apply to Start receiveing SSA benefits..!!
The MySSA account application Requires a Valid verifiable US address .
I understood that very clearly (and for that reason didn't reference your posting) but others had mentioned starting to receive benefits and seemed to be under the impression that you had to use a US address.

Pardon the necro, but I'm up against this right now.

Social Security knows I am here in BsAs, because they just sent me a statement showing my projected benefit amounts, so I don't think trying to use a US address would be a good idea. Pissing off Uncle Sam just when I'm applying for benefits seems like a very bad idea.

Does anyone have recent experience trying to apply for SS from the embassy here in BsAs?

Ways to Apply
You can complete an application for Retirement, Spouse's, Medicare or Disability Benefits online.

If you cannot submit your application online:

• You can call us at 1-800-772-1213(TTY 1-800-325-0778); or
  • Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, visits to our offices are by appointment only for certain services. Please visit our Coronavirus page to see if you may be eligible for an in-person appointment.
If you live outside the U.S. you can contact the Federal Benefits Unit that provides service to your country of residence.

This one is a bit of a Catch-22. In order to use those apply online links, you must have access to your My Social Security account, which requires that "Valid mailing address in the USA" with which we started this thread.

Have you tried contacting the US Embassy?
Argentina
Federal Benefits Unit
United States Embassy
4300 Colombia
1425 Buenos Aires
Argentina
Phone: 5411-5777-4492
Fax: 5411-5777-4231
Email:[email protected]

Just get an appointment with the Benefits Unit and wait your turn until called. I suggest bringing along your tax returns and W-2 forms (I forgot to do so for my appt 11 years ago) in case you are asked questions; then you have a reference. My appointment lasted 20 minutes.

SSA has never been late in sending checks to my credit union account. I live here comfortably on my social security income, whereas if I were in the US, it would be a challenge for me.

Those of us on SS should start worrying. Please go to this link and read this analysis:

Here are the three main points:
  • Social Security is Only 13 Years from Insolvency. Social Security cannot guarantee full benefits to current retirees under current law. The Trustees project the Social Security Old-Age and Survivors Insurance (OASI) trust fund will deplete its reserves by 2033 and the Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) trust fund will become insolvent by 2057. The theoretical combined trust funds will exhaust their reserves by 2034, when today’s 54-year-olds reach the full retirement age and today’s youngest retirees turn 75. Upon insolvency, all beneficiaries will face a 22 percent across-the-board benefit cut.
  • Social Security Faces Large and Rising Imbalances. According to the Trustees, Social Security will run cash deficits of $2.4 trillion over the next decade, the equivalent of 2.3 percent of taxable payroll or 0.8 percent of Gross Domestic Product (GDP). Annual deficits will grow to nearly 5.0 percent of payroll (1.7 percent of GDP) by 2080 and total over 4.3 percent of payroll (1.4 percent of GDP) by 2095. Social Security’s 75-year actuarial imbalance totals 3.54 percent of taxable payroll, which is 1.2 percent of GDP or nearly $21 trillion in present value terms.
  • Social Security’s Finances are Deteriorating. Social Security’s finances have worsened over the last year – insolvency is projected to occur a year earlier, and the 75-year actuarial deficit is over 10 percent larger. The 75-year shortfall is nearly 85 percent larger than it was projected to be in 2010.
Cheers!

Back