Name Registry Still In Effect?

Personally I think it's a good idea. If you read that law it makes total sense, it's to avoid people sounding ridiculous, being able to identify a male or a female by their name, and a few other things. Exceptions are made when naming a child after a family member who was born in another country, if you have proof such as birth records of that person, but you have to have that approved as well. I grew up in New York City and some of my schoolmate's names were outrageous....here's a few 1) Candy Apple Pinkney...2) Dinette Washington...3) Tonka Billings...4) Diamond Xiomara Vélez....5) Jackjaira Marrero....6) Noni Mooney....7) Luxury Williams........life is difficult enough than to have to go through a lifetime of ridicule and giggles because of your name. I love having an uncomplicated name.
I don't think any entity should be able to dictate what you name your children. Yes, some people go to far and are clearly not considering their child's dignity. Consider not only family traditions, but cultural considerations. ie) a Greek family ought to be able to give their child a Greek name even if it doesn't appear on the list of accepted names.
Argentina accepts Spanish and Italian names; what about aboriginal names? The registry actually favours FOREIGN names then.

I took a peek at a hospital natal ward record book. Lots of Italian and Spanish names, then there was the cast of Beverly Hills 90210 names (lots of Brendas and Dillons), and Kevin. Who approves these names? What was the rational behind these approvals?

Me loves the Name List Big Time. I agree with David. I’m also glad I did not have to live in the U.S. with the stupid name my parents wanted give me, "Jock" which would have turned into jockstrap. [background=#fafaff]Florencia, Milagros, Agostina, Candelaria, and Rocío agree with me.[/background]

I think all names should be allowed.

Ben Dover
Seymour Butts
Hugh Jass
Harry Chin
Chuck Wagon
Dixie Normous
Heywood Jablome

Oh snap. Here comes the Principal! :)

I don't think any entity should be able to dictate what you name your children. Yes, some people go to far and are clearly not considering their child's dignity. Consider not only family traditions, but cultural considerations. ie) a Greek family ought to be able to give their child a Greek name even if it doesn't appear on the list of accepted names.
Argentina accepts Spanish and Italian names; what about aboriginal names? The registry actually favours FOREIGN names then.

The greek family in your scenario would indeed be able to name their child any Greek name, it's just that if it wasn't already on the register they'd have to fill out the paperwork prior to registering the birth certificate. The lists are actually pretty extensive, and if a new name is registered it gets added to the list thereafter anyone can use it -- so the register is a constantly evolving and growing collection that actually in an anthropological sense provides an interesting tracking of the changing patterns. If you look at the list you'll find not only Agustina but also Abdul/Abdullah and Addison. Yes Addison and Madison and Madox and Muhammed have already come to Argentina.

So if your Greek and your baby is to be named Athanasios Golfos (my greek friend's name, and as his family followed the Greek tradition of first born son being named after the grandfather he's one of 5 Athanasios cousins in the family) and neither of those names are on the register, you do your paperwork and after that any family that decides they'd like to have a little Golfy running around they can use the name. And my greek friend after generations of Athanasious Golfus, Golfus Athanasios, + his 5 syllable greek surname decided to break with tradition and named his Elliott Golfos (he had to honour his dad in there somewhere, and whenever they go back to Greece everyone calls his son Golfus anyway).

Here is the list for Capital, and here is the note at the head of the page which simply states if the name is not on the list you can register the name at the moment of registering the birth certificate as long as you present evidence that it is for the appropriate sex:

Si el nombre que usted está buscando no se encuentra autorizado en la jurisdicción del Gobierno de la Ciudad Autónoma de Buenos Aires para cualquiera de los sexos, el mismo podrá ser solicitado por los progenitores al momento de inscribir el nacimiento del menor ante el Registro Civil correspondiente aportando elementos probatorios que acrediten su existencia como nombre para el sexo deseado (art. 3* ).
http://www.buenosaires.gob.ar/areas/registrocivil/nombres/?menu_id=28

I think people get way too worked up about the names list. Lots of countries have them, and in the moment of birth you do silly things -- even we kind of gave our child a hard time as he has a first name, second name, first surname and second surname. Ugh. In retrospect we probably would have just dropped the second name and left the two last names (my husband has an unfortunate last name, we wanted to add mine regardless)

I took a peek at a hospital natal ward record book. Lots of Italian and Spanish names, then there was the cast of Beverly Hills 90210 names (lots of Brendas and Dillons), and Kevin. Who approves these names? What was the rational behind these approvals?
I used to agree with you on this point....until I lived in the South USA. aka Florida. It's no joke.

When I was in high school there was a family [not the brightest] by the name of "HEAD" they had two sons ...Dick and Harry.

At some point, every name that has ever existed has been made up. Most names have meaning but if they didn't - so what? Why can't I call myself Batipah if I want to?

And I can guarantee you parents can do a whole lot worse to a kid than give him or her a name that must be lived down.

Most people don't have a lot of choice about their family names. Not many people know why I call myself "Queso" but I can tell you all it has something to do with my surname and I learned to embrace the difference rather than hide it - and I assure you all I had plenty of much less flattering nicknames, which originated from my surname, to deal with when I was growing up.

Alloicious, to me, is a horrible name - but it's a real name. I chose that particular name because my mother used to use it when messing around and being silly sometimes - it was a name I would never place on anyone. But if the US had a registered names list that everyone it would be legal to use I'd bet. And poor kid got tagged with that monicker in this day and age (I hope no one reading this is named such - sorry in advance ;) ).

Who says registered names can't be as silly as made up names?

Maybe I'm not seeing a real reason other than "tradition" or "annoyance".

Having a name like Daniel, Laura, Sebastian, David, Tania, Eva, Christian, etc. that exist in English and Spanish, belongs to the same sex in both languages and is common enough, can be better because you do not need to spell it out (at least in Spanish and English speaking countries), and does not give clues from where someone comes from.

Back