Name registry got stricter....

Celia

Registered
I had to submit a "pedido de nombre" at the Registro Civil, to obtain permission to name my son after his grandfather (the nickname was on the list but not the long version).
First we were told we could have the name, then they backtracked since the second name wasn't on the list either. I basically had to fill in a form with my begging excuses of why I should be allowed to name my child after beloved ones. With my first son, they accepted a family member's name without the pedido so I guess we were unlucky today or things got tougher.

So we now have to wait 40 days minimum and only the third name appeared on the provisionary birth certificate....

Had been planning a trip to our home countries but of course now we're stuck here.....

I´ve had to do a couple of consular letters at work for people who want to give their Argentine child a Maori name, just to confirm that the name is a real Maori name, it's gender and meaning.
One was Aroha, which is Maori for love. A really pretty name except it´s said Arroja. Do you really want to call your daughter that?

Second one was Hika after a famous All Black rugby player. Unfortunately, I think the answer was no on that one because the rugby guy´s real name was hikuranga or something similar which was shortened to Hika.

Wait! The govt can tell you that you can't use a name? Seriously?

yes, the Argentine government can tell you what to name your kid.
As can, and do, the Japanese, German, and many other governments around the world.

Its only in the USA that you are free to name your kid

"Urhines Kendall Icy Eight Special K"

which is some poor kid's real name.

And I should know- my kids are named Rebar and Torque.

AngelinBA said:
I´ve had to do a couple of consular letters at work
Do you work for an embassy? How long does it take to process one of these requests?

If everybody just stuck to easy names they wouldn't have to enforce this. I personally think it's a good idea. I come from New York City where there are the most outrageous names put on these poor kids who will one day be 95 years old and called "Ice Cream Daniels" and "Candy Apple Redd". I am not lying these are real names and the NEW thing is people selling the rights to naming their baby on e-bay to companies. So in the future there will be "Clorox Schwartz and Tropicana Perez" Let's get back to basics.......Mary and Joseph!

Davidglen77 said:
If everybody just stuck to easy names they wouldn't have to enforce this. I personally think it's a good idea. I come from New York City where there are the most outrageous names put on these poor kids who will one day be 95 years old and called "Ice Cream Daniels" and "Candy Apple Redd". I am not lying these are real names and the NEW thing is people selling the rights to naming their baby on e-bay to companies. So in the future there will be "Clorox Schwartz and Tropicana Perez" Let's get back to basics.......Mary and Joseph!

The further humanity gets away from using biblical names, the better. Sorry, I'm not in your camp in favor of social de-evolution. And NY isn't the best example either, being that you are referring to what is probably 0.01% of the population of the DMA.

Ries said:
yes, the Argentine government can tell you what to name your kid.
As can, and do, the Japanese, German, and many other governments around the world.

Its only in the USA that you are free to name your kid

"Urhines Kendall Icy Eight Special K"

which is some poor kid's real name.

And I should know- my kids are named Rebar and Torque.

What about BRAZIL?

Mário Souto Maior, 76, considered the greatest Brazilian folklorist alive, has just released the 4th edition of Nomes Próprios Pouco Comuns (Unusual Proper Names). The book, published by Edições Bagaço from Pernambuco state, lists more than 2,000 odd names. "Everything I publish is documented," says Souto Maior. Some of the jewels:

Barrigudinha Seleida - Pot-bellied Seleida
José Amâncio e Seus Trinta e Nove - José Amâncio and His Thirty Nines
José Casou de Calças Curtas - José Married in Short Pants
Magnésia Bisurada - Sodium Bicarbonate
Naida Navinda Navolta Pereira - Going, Coming, Back Pereira
Napoleão Sem Medo e Sem Mácula - Fearless and Sinless Napoleon ;)
Otávio Bundasseca - Dry Buttock Otávio

http://www.brazzil.com/pages/p21jan97.htm

...or CUBA?

Norge Luis Vera, a pitcher for the eastern city of Santiago, owes his name to a brand of refrigerator. No one seems sure where Odrisamer Despaigne of Havana's Industriales — Cuba's answer to the New York Yankees — got his name...

Some parents invent new spellings for U.S. names. Santiago's center fielder is Adward Laverdeza. Others put their own spin on common monikers, like Leugim Barroso, an outfielder for Havana's second-tier Metropolitanos squad, whose name is Miguel spelled backward."

http://www.cubagreenscreen.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=86

and

The island's best-known antigovernment blogger is a 32-year-old philologist named Yoani Sánchez, and the parents of the once famous shipwrecked boy Elián González came up with his handle by fusing their own (Elisabeth and Juan).

http://www.newsweek.com/2008/08/09/playing-a-name-game.html

So don't even start with the USA being the only place for retarded names.

:cool:

You're all missing the point......the name denied me appeared on my own apostilled birth certificate, it's my dad's name, something quite trad, not toodlepipkinturniphead....

No, actually the point is, if they can deny a name, they can deny ANY name.

Your idea of common sense is not the next persons.

Once you have the government telling you what you can name your kids, it really doesnt matter one bit if its a family name, or a brand name for condoms- its the EXACT same principle.

I am in favor of freedom.
Period, Full Stop.

And I love the wacky names, wherever they come from.

The kid can always change their name, when they grow up.
Amazingly few do.

Back