national anthem in schools

Growing up in Texas, we said the pledge of allegiance and the national anthem and at least one or two other national pride songs each day. I don't remember any of the words to the songs (and I'm not sure if I ever knew them) and I remember being really bored. In my opinion, its basically a waste of time to make kids mindlessly repeat the national anthem each day... And plus it makes the national anthem a normal boring daily activity... When I hear the national anthem, I don't feel proud or particularly loyal. It's just background noise.

From the Merriam Webster Dictionary:
Main Entry: 1pride
Pronunciation: \ˈprīd\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English prȳde, from prūd proud — more at proud
Date: before 12th century
1 : the quality or state of being proud: as a : inordinate self-esteem : conceit b : a reasonable or justifiable self-respect c : delight or elation arising from some act, possession, or relationship <parental pride>
2 : proud or disdainful behavior or treatment : disdain
3 a : ostentatious display b : highest pitch : prime
4 : a source of pride : the best in a group or class
5 : a company of lions
6 : a showy or impressive group <a pride of dancers>

I understand why you feel that way JP, not that I agree with it.
Teaching children about their nations history and current policies are very important and are already done in schools. Knowing where you are comes from knowing where you came from. No?

(Sergio and Howard - you guys are awesome) ;o)

jp said:
If you explained to Americans that their standard of living is based on exploitation of foreign labour markets, would that make them more patriotic? If people knew that their comfortable way of life necessitated immense suffering elsewhere, would that make them feel grateful, or disgusted? Not singling out the US, most western nations are in a similar position.

I can understand teaching kids to be grateful for the many benefits their country offers them, but not pride. Truth be told, the circumstances surrounding many of the benefits are nothing to be proud of.

Maybe this comes down to differing interpretations of what "national pride" represents.

Yes, I think it does come down to different interpretations of the word. As someone pointed out by quoting the dictionary, the word pride has positive and negative connotations. That is true of many words.

Pointing out the problems of one´s country such as exploitation of other people will not make one proud but it may encourage others to look more deeply at their country and to take an interest in what is happening and maybe try to influence government to change.

Back